Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ADVANTAGEOUS BENGAL RECEIVING CORP!
after re watching this game against the Colts, I was wondering why we are not taking advantage of the miss match play of Green, Ross, Boyd and Eifert! It seems to me if AJ is doubled, which he was, Ross Boyd or Eifert are the only options as at least 1 of the three left should be wide open. Maybe the rest of you saw it better than I did, but there should NEVER be a play that someone is NOT open, short or long. I believe Dalton looks only for 1 receiver most of the time, at least that is what I am seeing in replays, and he should get his head on a rotation to take advantage of this. There is NO Defense in this league that can hang with all of the weapons we have at receiver. I know Dalton has to RUN FOR HIS LIFE AT TIMES but typically the line holds up long enough for him to find a receiver.Maybe that is what Lazor is trying to get accomplished, maybe not but the pieces are there. Maybe you guys can fill me in on what you saw in the game.

Reply/Quote
Or maybe you’re wrong and they are not getting open all the time and even with Glenn and Price we are still having the QB flushed pretty quick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 08:44 PM)Joelist Wrote: Or maybe you’re wrong and they are not getting open all the time and even with Glenn and Price we are still having the QB flushed pretty quick.

I'll accept that but maybe they should be taking better advantage of the mismatches. As for the line I addressed that. And Dalton is NOT flushed every time.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 08:40 PM)RASCAL Wrote: after re watching this game against the Colts, I was wondering why we are not taking advantage of the miss match play of Green, Ross, Boyd and Eifert! It seems to me if AJ is doubled, which he was, Ross Boyd or Eifert are the only options as at least 1 of the three left should be wide open. Maybe the rest of you saw it better than I did, but there should NEVER be a play that someone is NOT open, short or long. I believe Dalton looks only for 1 receiver most of the time, at least that is what I am seeing in replays, and he should get his head on a rotation to take advantage of this. There is NO Defense in this league that can hang with all of the weapons we have at receiver. I know Dalton has to RUN FOR HIS LIFE AT TIMES but typically the line holds up long enough for him to find a receiver.Maybe that is what Lazor is trying to get accomplished, maybe not but the pieces are there. Maybe you guys can fill me in on what you saw in the game.

The Colts played a cover 2 the whole game, (2 safeties playing over the top) obviously to mitigate the Green/Ross deep threat. They are going to see that a lot this year. Dalton found some success in the middle and flats, but it really helped Mixon be as productive as he was. The play action and RB pass out of the backfield worked like a charm. The More Mixon can carve up the D, the more it will force the D to drop a safety and open up the deep ball more.
Reply/Quote
They actually covered this during the game yesterday. Just because someone looks open to us from our Birdseye view does not mean a QB can even see them in the first place. And that says nothing about what pressure does.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 08:56 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: The Colts played a cover 2 the whole game, (2 safeties playing over the top) obviously to mitigate the Green/Ross deep threat. They are going to see that a lot this year. Dalton found some success in the middle and flats, but it really helped Mixon be as productive as he was. The play action and RB pass out of the backfield worked like a charm. The More Mixon can carve up the D, the more it will force the D to drop a safety and open up the deep ball more.

This. Andy took what the defense gave him and I think he will continue to do that. I expect more chances downfield this Thursday as there will be a definite focus on containing Mixon. Pick your poison with this offense.

Reply/Quote
New offense, new language, new terms, new Oline. It'll get better.

I hope
Reply/Quote
Offense looked like night and day compared to last year..
Mixon had actual holes to run through. Andy didn't have the pocket get pushed back play after play and looked fairly comfortable. Eifert made some nice plays. If teams want to take away the deep ball, then Mixon will eat. Happy with the skill positions.
Reply/Quote
That's what drives me nuts about Andy. I know he rarely gets time but when he does you almost never see him scanning left to right. It seems like he's fixated on his 1st option staring them down as soon as it's in his hands then looks to his check down. Is this by design,I dunno but it's pretty darn frustrating seeing lesser talented QB's scan the field finding that 2nd 3rd even 4th option receiver. It just seems like the second his first option is covered he panics.

I used to like Dalton but I just don't see this team being a serious SB contender with him. Having Marvin just amplifies that x2. But I still watch and hope I'm wrong.
Reply/Quote
Joe Mixon was tearing it up and getting first downs. Why would you throw a long pass anyway?
Reply/Quote
It may be Dalton's greatest weakness - he tries to be more of a Payton Manning(predict the play before it happens and lock onto the correct mismatch), than a Brees (scan the play as it unfolds and find the most open player). He'd be better at scanning between reads and spreading the ball around if he trusted his protection more, methinks. The only way that that happens is if they actually hold up and keep him clean.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 09:53 PM)TKUHL Wrote: That's what drives me nuts about Andy. I know he rarely gets time but when he does you almost never see him scanning left to right. It seems like he's fixated on his 1st option staring them down as soon as it's in his hands then looks to his check down. Is this by design,I dunno but it's pretty darn frustrating seeing lesser talented QB's scan the field finding that 2nd 3rd even 4th option receiver. It just seems like the second his first option is covered he panics.

I used to like Dalton but I just don't see this team being a serious SB contender with him. Having Marvin just amplifies that x2. But I still watch and hope I'm wrong.

1.  Some plans are designed for 1 throw or just 2 reads
2.  If you are actually getting to your 3/4 option, you must have time in the pocket.. 
3.  A good QB actually does not need to go to those options most of the time since they read the coverage or put the players in the coverage that is favorable.. this actually is a strength of Andy Dalton
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 10:05 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Joe Mixon was tearing it up and getting first downs.  Why would you throw a long pass anyway?

do you really want a response from me on this?

Reply/Quote
Ok, the wr's are great. NO QUESTION. Here is the problem as I see it. Each pass play has patterns that are timed out differently.
AJ being the star is going to given special consideration.
HOWEVER, until now he hasn't had all the pieces around him he has presently.
Better protection, a little running attack and more targets. Are you kidding me. AJ and the other receivers (ALL) are going to have a FIELD DAY in the NFL this year.

I predicted that this team WILL set an NFL point total. ( Imagine how mad I was during the first 3 quarters?) SERIOUS CURSING!

Think about how good they are really. They were like OSU in the College Playoffs. Give Alabama 4 turn overs and win, Oregon the same way.
( I DO NOT RECOMMEND TURNING THE BALL OVER AS AN INSPIRATIONAL MOVE!)

My point is they over came adversity. (Most of it SELF INFLICTED) If they play up to their potential there are alot of teams in trouble.

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote
Uhh. Dalton completed 75 percent of his passes, 8.7 ypa and a 109 passer rating, completing passes to 8 different receivers...

How is that not taking advantage of mismatches?

I just don't get fans and their expectations sometimes.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 09:53 PM)TKUHL Wrote: That's what drives me nuts about Andy. I know he rarely gets time but when he does you almost never see him scanning left to right. It seems like he's fixated on his 1st option staring them down as soon as it's in his hands then looks to his check down. Is this by design,I dunno but it's pretty darn frustrating seeing lesser talented QB's scan the field finding that 2nd 3rd even 4th option receiver. It just seems like the second his first option is covered he panics.

So Andy having one of the highest passer ratings in the NFL isn't good enough? 

Before you rag on him get it RIGHT.

ANY TEAM IN THE NFL would be happy with Andy Dalton's performance 

Almost a 110 rating, 70 % completion. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? 

I DEARLY HOPE THIS WAS A JOKE POST.

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 10:32 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: It may be Dalton's greatest weakness - he tries to be more of a Payton Manning(predict the play before it happens and lock onto the correct mismatch), than a Brees (scan the play as it unfolds and find the most open player). He'd be better at scanning between reads and spreading the ball around if he trusted his protection more, methinks. The only way that that happens is if they actually hold up and keep him clean.

Almost a 110 passer rating, and 70% completions, WEAKNESS.

I LAUGH IN YOU FACE! 

I will take Andy's obvious problems. 

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote
this thread was NOT meant to be a downer on Dalton. I will however say that he had a good game but I believe he could be a lot better by having his head on a swivel.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 12:16 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Uhh. Dalton completed 75 percent of his passes, 8.7 ypa and a 109 passer rating, completing passes to 8 different receivers...

what I don't get is posters such as yourself that think they know everything. And you ARE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE!!! So go DUH yourself !

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 12:16 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Uhh. Dalton completed 75 percent of his passes, 8.7 ypa and a 109 passer rating, completing passes to 8 different receivers...

Didn't you know? He didn't complete a pass to 9 different receivers (probably because that would have required him to complete a pass to himself)...
Reply/Quote