Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AFC North Opt-Outs
De'Anthony Thomas, who was a midseason pickup last year for the Ravens, opted out for 2020. He did a solid job and was the primary kickoff and punt returner. His roster spot wasn't guaranteed. In fact he was probably on the outside looking in depending on how the Ravens decided to set their roster. Baltimore drafted James Proche to compete at returner and Proche also offers much more potentially at WR. GM Eric Decosta said he was impressed with how smooth Proche was returning punts as well.

But still, with returners being kind of a specialty position, having Thomas as an option wouldn't have hurt.

I've also noticed that the other players who have opted out so far haven't been starters. Except of course for the Chiefs RG who's a doctor. Maybe guys who think they may not make the roster without a full offseason to compete will take the money (150k) before they get cut because their contract is automatically deferred to next year. I don't know, but you'd think guys who are trying to stay in the league or become starters would have more incentive to play. Maybe it'll be the opposite? Or maybe I'm reading too much into it?
Reply/Quote