Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AFC North Quarterbacks In Depth Rankings
These are going off of stats given by PFF.
I will bold the leader of the AFC North from each group. The 2nd number is where they rank in the entire NFL.

Big Ben
Overall: 75.0 (19th)
Adjusted Completion Percentage: 70.8% (25th)
Passer Rating Vs Pressure: 74.9 (16th)
Vs Blitz: 102.1 (13th)
Short: 97.4 (15th)
Intermediate: 96.3 (15th)
Deep: 35.9 (32nd)
Big-Time Throw Percentage: 3.8% (19th)
Turnover-Worthy Throw Percentage: 5.1% (27th)
Time To Throw: 2.47 (5th)

Deshone Kizer
Overall: 54.7 (31st)
Adjusted Completion Percentage: 64.3% (32nd)
Passer Rating Vs Pressure: 40.8 (28th)
Vs Blitz: 78.3 (23rd)
Short: 108.0 (6th)
Intermediate: 23.7 (33rd)
Deep: 37.7 (30th)
Big-Time Throw Percentage: 4.1% (17th)
Turnover-Worthy Throw Percentage: 7.7% (32nd)
Time To Throw: 3.13 (32nd)

Joe Flacco
Overall: 67.6 (26th)
Adjusted Completion Percentage: 69.2% (26th)
Passer Rating Vs Pressure: 7.9 (33rd)
Vs Blitz: 89.4 (18th)
Short: 93.8 (19th)
Intermediate: 42.1 (32nd)
Deep: 8.3 (33rd)
Big-Time Throw Percentage:1.5% (24th)
Turnover-Worthy Throw Percentage: 2.7% (14th)
Time To Throw: 2.57 (15th)

Andy Dalton
Overall: 73.8 (22nd)
Adjusted Completion Percentage: 73.2% (21st)
Passer Rating Vs Pressure: 70.8 (17th)
Vs Blitz: 58.2 (32nd)
Short: 65.2 (32nd)
Intermediate: 62.9 (28th)
Deep: 68.4 (23rd)
Big-Time Throw Percentage: 4.9% (14th)
Turnover-Worthy Throw Percentage: 2.8% (15th)
Time To Throw: 2.66 (19th)
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2017, 03:01 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: These are going off of stats given by PFF.
I will bold the leader of the AFC North from each group. The 2nd number is where they rank in the entire NFL.

Big Ben
Overall: 75.0 (19th)
Adjusted Completion Percentage: 70.8% (25th)
Passer Rating Vs Pressure: 74.9 (16th)
Vs Blitz: 102.1 (13th)
Short: 97.4 (15th)
Intermediate: 96.3 (15th)
Deep: 35.9 (32nd)
Big-Time Throw Percentage: 3.8% (19th)
Turnover-Worthy Throw Percentage: 5.1% (27th)
Time To Throw: 2.47 (5th)

Deshone Kizer
Overall: 54.7 (31st)
Adjusted Completion Percentage: 64.3% (32nd)
Passer Rating Vs Pressure: 40.8 (28th)
Vs Blitz: 78.3 (23rd)
Short: 108.0 (6th)
Intermediate: 23.7 (33rd)
Deep: 37.7 (30th)
Big-Time Throw Percentage: 4.1% (17th)
Turnover-Worthy Throw Percentage: 7.7% (32nd)
Time To Throw: 3.13 (32nd)

Joe Flacco
Overall: 67.6 (26th)
Adjusted Completion Percentage: 69.2% (26th)
Passer Rating Vs Pressure: 7.9 (33rd)
Vs Blitz: 89.4 (18th)
Short: 93.8 (19th)
Intermediate: 42.1 (32nd)
Deep: 8.3 (33rd)
Big-Time Throw Percentage:1.5% (24th)
Turnover-Worthy Throw Percentage: 2.7% (14th)
Time To Throw: 2.57 (15th)

Andy Dalton
Overall: 73.8 (22nd)
Adjusted Completion Percentage: 73.2% (21st)
Passer Rating Vs Pressure: 70.8 (17th)
Vs Blitz: 58.2 (32nd)
Short: 65.2 (32nd)
Intermediate: 62.9 (28th)
Deep: 68.4 (23rd)
Big-Time Throw Percentage: 4.9% (14th)
Turnover-Worthy Throw Percentage: 2.8% (15th)
Time To Throw: 2.66 (19th)

Interesting.

- So he's the best deep ball thrower in the AFCN this year. By a long shot. I'm sure that will irritate many.
- He's struggling against the blitz and on short throws. Wasn't he among the best against the blitz in 2015? I wonder what changed. The short throw struggles are also puzzling.
- Also curious to see him only 19th in time to throw. He used to routinely be among the top few in the league.
- Turnover worthy throws is still pretty low despite the 4 INT's

Looks like he's handling pressure "ok" despite so many saying he's falling apart. What does PFF consider a "big-time throw" I wonder?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
QB play seems to be down overall this year (sacks are also up - go figure).

Flacco, Newton and Dalton are all good QB's off to really bad starts. Carson Palmer as well, to a slightly lesser extent.
9 QBs have at least 4 INT's already
14 QB's have at least 3 INT's
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2017, 03:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Interesting.

- So he's the best deep ball thrower in the AFCN this year. By a long shot. I'm sure that will irritate many.
- He's struggling against the blitz and on short throws. Wasn't he among the best against the blitz in 2015? I wonder what changed. The short throw struggles are also puzzling.
- Also curious to see him only 19th in time to throw. He used to routinely be among the top few in the league.
- Turnover worthy throws is still pretty low despite the 4 INT's

Looks like he's handling pressure "ok" despite so many saying he's falling apart. What does PFF consider a "big-time throw" I wonder?

1. For sure. Granted, he's not the greatest obviously since he's not ranked as high. But considering he has one deep threat meanwhile Big Ben has Brown and Bryant, Flacco even has Wallace and Perriman.
2. He was up there for sure. I think it may be because the offensive playbook was bottled down to short passes. You didn't often see defenders playing off the line of scrimmage. We saw a ton of defenses try to make the Bengals beat them deep and they didn't have the depth to do so outside of Green.
3. Dalton likes to sling it, but I feel as if Zampese wanted a 2011 approach with Dalton. Live to see another down and Dalton seems a lot more gun shy than he ever has in his career. Hopefully the OC change destroys that mentality.
4. Yeah I was actually surprised about that. Granted, some of those balls were tipped. So maybe that has an effect on it?

Also, not entirely sure. I continued to look it up, but couldn't find exactly what it was.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2017, 03:56 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: 1. For sure. Granted, he's not the greatest obviously since he's not ranked as high. But considering he has one deep threat meanwhile Big Ben has Brown and Bryant, Flacco even has Wallace and Perriman.
2. He was up there for sure. I think it may be because the offensive playbook was bottled down to short passes. You didn't often see defenders playing off the line of scrimmage. We saw a ton of defenses try to make the Bengals beat them deep and they didn't have the depth to do so outside of Green.
3. Dalton likes to sling it, but I feel as if Zampese wanted a 2011 approach with Dalton. Live to see another down and Dalton seems a lot more gun shy than he ever has in his career. Hopefully the OC change destroys that mentality.
4. Yeah I was actually surprised about that. Granted, some of those balls were tipped. So maybe that has an effect on it?

Also, not entirely sure. I continued to look it up, but couldn't find exactly what it was.

Thanks.

1. Yeah Dalton has been better on the deep ball in the past for sure. He's certainly not impressing me this year. I just found it interesting that the big armed guys in our division have such terrible grades. Dalton is only 23rd, but his rating more than doubled everyone else in the division.
2. I think you're spot on there. We're keeping it short and not fooling anyone (aside from GB for one half).
3. Again, agreed. Dalton did go back to that "throw it away, rather than risk anything" approach that he had in year 1. Dalton has always been good about following what coaches want him to do, so I do think that was a Zampese thing. He does seem extremely gun shy right now. Not sure if he doesn't trust the line or receivers...maybe a combo of both. I wish PFF graded receivers on getting open. Seems our guys are covered well compared to other teams.
4. That's what I was thinking. The tipped passes could play into it. Maybe those were some of his only interceptable passes and they were all picked.
Reply/Quote