• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AFC Young QB Dominance
I was thinking today.

Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
I will even throw Lamar in here
Let me know If I forgot someone (Maybe Lawrence but he hasn't done squat yet)

The NFC is full of old guys that are about to retire.

I guess they have Murray. I am not sold on him yet though.

If you are a franchise in the AFC and you are not one of the 5-6 teams above don't you have to look at your team watching that Chiefs/Bills game and say we can't win. How are teams like the Browns or the Jets or any team in the AFC going to expect to get anywhere for the next 10 years? While I was watching the game I thought we can keep up with this. The Bengals can do this. But can Baker Mayfield? Can Ryan Tannehill? Can "Insert Steelers QB" ? I would hate to be a GM or coach for almost anyone else in the AFC. I would think a lot of QB chasing is going to be going on with this in mind. IE look for a lot more reaches in the draft

And if you are Aaron Rogers why on earth would you want to venture into this? Much easier path to the SB in the NFC
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 09:54 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: I was thinking today.

Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
I will even throw Lamar in here
Let me know If I forgot someone (Maybe Lawrence but he hasn't done squat yet)

The NFC is full of old guys that are about to retire.

I guess they have Murray. I am not sold on him yet though.

If you are a franchise in the AFC and you are not one of the 5-6 teams above don't you have to look at your team watching that Chiefs/Bills game and say we can't win. How are teams like the Browns or the Jets or any team in the AFC going to expect to get anywhere for the next 10 years? While I was watching the game I thought we can keep up with this. The Bengals can do this. But can Baker Mayfield? Can Ryan Tannehill? Can "Insert Steelers QB" ? I would hate to be a GM or coach for almost anyone else in the AFC. I would think a lot of QB chasing is going to be going on with this in mind. IE look for a lot more reaches in the draft

And if you are Aaron Rogers why on earth would you want to venture into this? Much easier path to the SB in the NFC

It depends, honestly.  If we're talking overall success, the Titans just proved you can be the #1 seed with a mid tier QB if you've got great coaching and a great supporting cast.  

If we're talking playoffs, honestly, I think you have to drop Lamar and Herbert off the list.  Lamar is a former league MVP, but he's only 1-3 in the playoffs and has never had a passer rating higher than 78.8.  Lamar hasn't shown that extra level in the playoffs that Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow have shown.  Herbert is a playoff unknown, but the Chargers lost an effective play in game to Derek Carr and the Raiders after being picked to make the playoffs most of the year.  The Chargers were 1-3 to end the season, and that included a loss to KC in a "gotta have it" game.  

If you're an AFC GM with SB aspirations, I think the big key is don't give big second contracts to non-elite QB's.  Baltimore paying big money for Lamar would be a mistake, IMO.  You're going to have to tank some years to get a ticket to the QB lottery and hope you hit or at least can put enough around them while they're on their rookie deal.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
And there's no guarantee any more Joe Burrow or Josh Allens are coming down the pipeline any time soon. I suspect the next time there is a truly talented QB entering the draft, you will see numerous teams tanking to get him.
Reply/Quote
This is probably cyclical for the most part. I think its just happenstance that so many good QBs came up at the same time period of a few years, but sports science has dramatically improved as has sports medicine. It probably occurred for the AFC because the NFC had Brady and Rogers, but I'd venture to guess there will be others coming along soon to dilute the pool of great QBs.. We still don't know who will flame out or get badly injured to ruin their careers.. Never know who will someday wake up in a brothel, drunk as a skunk with a smoking gun and a dead body next to them..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It's just the way the NFL is. There are two kinds of teams: "teams with a QB that can win it all" and "everyone else" maybe a third for "QBs on rookie deal and it's still up in the air."

Sure teams like the Titans might make a run for it, and it happens from time to time. Either via a defense that carries the team (Peyton Manning in 2015) or if the QB plays out of their mind at the right time in the playoffs (Flacco, Eli Manning) But does anyone honestly think they'll be hearing the words "Ryan Tannehill" and "Superbowl winning quarterback" in the same breath?
Reply/Quote
I'm thinking it'll be Ryan Tannehill...Andy Dalton 2.0.. Smirk
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote