Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AFC so far.....3 weeks
Cleveland and Baltimore both look like Super Bowl contenders.

Cleveland has been consistently good. They lost by 4 on the road to the Chiefs, but they had more yards and first downs than Kansas City. Over all they have the #7 offense and #3 defense. Their roster is loaded with talent, and Baker Mayfield is a much better QB than a lot of people want to admit.

Baltimore has looked like a Super Bowl contender at times, but they have been hit hard by injury and have not been as consistent as the Browns. I watched them give the Raiders game away with poor defensive schemes that resulted in too much one-on-one and sometimes zero-on-one coverage on the Raiders receivers. I did not see the Detroit game but from everything I read and heard it was a dumpster fire. Jackson is becoming a better passer than a lot of people want to admit, but he still needs to be more consistent. Catch them when they are on and we won't beat them. but catch them on a down stroke and we could easily win.

Steelers looked pathetic. But for every Bengal fan who swears he is not going to believe in the Bengals until he sees a full season to prove it we all have to realize that the Steelers have not had a losing record in 18 years and their defense has been top 6 in the league for 4 straight years. If they get healthy they could be a completely different team.

Bengals have top 10 defense talent. The offense has a lot of potential, but they have to get a lot more consistent. That "banged up" Steeler defense still held us to 3 of 9 on third down and 268 total yards. I think we have a lot of talent on offense also. My biggest fear there is the health of Jonah Williams and Joe Mixon. Hopefully Higgins returns 100% and Carman develops into an upgrade over Su'a-Filo. If that happens then we will look a lot better. Not an elite offense (yet), but plenty good enough to beat a lot of teams with a top 10 defense.

If the Browns stay healthy then I see them as the class of the division. Right now, due mainly to injuries, the Steelers sre struggling and the Ravens are inconsistent. I can see us anywhere from 2nd to 4th.
Reply/Quote
The interesting thing will be to gauge this defense's ability to stop the run against the class of the AFC North, the Ravens and Browns.

I think the Bengals can score on either of them, but can you stuff their run. That will be a big key.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 01:29 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The interesting thing will be to gauge this defense's ability to stop the run against the class of the AFC North, the Ravens and Browns.

I think the Bengals can score on either of them, but can you stuff their run.  That will be a big key.

I think our offensive players have a chance to score on anyone but I still have 0 faith in Taylor being able to call a game to allow us to do so. 

In 2019 we averaged 17.5 ppg. (worst in the league)
In 2020 we averaged 19.5 ppg. (3rd worst in the league)
In 2021 we average    22 ppg (18th-20th with an extra quarter of play)

It's going up but still really bad and although the talent hasn't been great I think ZT play calling is as bad as anything else on the offense. Also, I didn't go back to see how many defensive touchdowns we had so the offensive ppg numbers could be even worse.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 01:29 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The interesting thing will be to gauge this defense's ability to stop the run against the class of the AFC North, the Ravens and Browns.

I think the Bengals can score on either of them, but can you stuff their run.  That will be a big key.

No one is going to stuff the Brown run game as long as Chubb and the O-line are healthy.

Chubb is in his 4th season and has never had an per carry average under 5.0.  It is 5.5 this season and 5.2 for his career.  He could actually have an MVP type season behind that offensive line.

Ravens have no healthy RBs or good WRs.  Lamar is a freak, but if you beat him up and keep him some what under control that offense is very vulnerable.
Reply/Quote
The Browns are deep at RB and TE. Kareem Hunt
Could start for 3/4-s of NFL.teams
Their 4th RD pick Domlnic Felton from UCLA
Already has made a impression

Mayfield is super accurate. The Browns
Run 12 personal as any team in the league

As soon as you commit to shutting down
Chubb/Hunt , Mayfield kills you will those
Throws in the middle of the field.

Then on defense they come at.you with Garrett
Clowney and McKinley.

The key to beating Cleveland is dont beat yourself
2nd or 3rd and long Garrett is unblockable
Reply/Quote
U guys are giving the Browns Defense too much credit. Yes they had their way with the Bears but really struggled to contain the Texans with backup QB. And of course Chiefs had their way with them as well. Ravens have many flaws as well. Every team has weaknesses. Yes many strengths but weaknesses as well.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 03:09 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: U guys are giving the Browns Defense too much credit. Yes they had their way with the Bears but really struggled to contain the Texans with backup QB. And of course Chiefs had their way with them as well. Ravens have many flaws as well. Every team has weaknesses. Yes many strengths but weaknesses as well.
Browns D is a sleeping giant 
Jerimiah Owusu Koramoah was the highest rated
Defender by PFF Sunday

Garrett alone makes Clowney and McKinely lethal. 
Sackingba QB 9 times is not a accident
Reply/Quote
Yeah. I hate to admit but the Browns look like a scary “complete” team.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 02:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No one is going to stuff the Brown run game as long as Chubb and the O-line are healthy.

Chubb is in his 4th season and has never had an per carry average under 5.0.  It is 5.5 this season and 5.2 for his career.  He could actually have an MVP type season behind that offensive line.

Ravens have no healthy RBs or good WRs.  Lamar is a freak, but if you beat him up and keep him some what under control that offense is very vulnerable.

Reader and Ogunjobi might have something to say about that.....
Reply/Quote

I have more faith in defense than offense right now
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 06:02 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I have more faith in defense than offense right now

Everyone should.  By Far.

Our offense is 28th in yards and 27th in 3rd down conversions.

We have the talent.  We have seen what they can do.  They just have not been consistent at all.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 06:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Everyone should.  By Far.

Our offense is 28th in yards and 27th in 3rd down conversions.

We have the talent.  We have seen what they can do.  They just have not been consistent at all.

Agree we have finally hit some big plays but sacks turnovers and horrible 3rd down efficiency,  we need consistency 
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 04:43 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Reader and Ogunjobi might have something to say about that.....

And Logan Wilson and Vonn Bell.

We are great against the run.  We will slow them down.  But Chubb is a grossly underrated RB.   
Reply/Quote
Kinda funny how when JB was getting sacked
Through the 1st 2 games every media NFL guy
Said "oh.JB wont make it through 17 games,
And they should have drafted Penei blah blah.blah

Well.Baker Mayfield got sacked 5 times vs the Bears and
Thats 9 through 3 games. Thats only 1 less than JB
Yet nobody is saying.Baker wont make it through
17 games.

The hypocrisy is rather funny
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 01:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Cleveland and Baltimore both look like Super Bowl contenders.  

Cleveland has been consistently good.  They lost by 4 on the road to the Chiefs, but they had more yards and first downs than Kansas City.  Over all they have the #7 offense and #3 defense. Their roster is loaded with talent, and Baker Mayfield is a much better QB than a lot of people want to admit.

Baltimore has looked like a Super Bowl contender at times, but they have been hit hard by injury and have not been as consistent as the Browns.  I watched them give the Raiders game away with poor defensive schemes that resulted in too much one-on-one and sometimes zero-on-one coverage on the Raiders receivers.  I did not see the Detroit game but from everything I read and heard it was a dumpster fire.  Jackson is becoming a better passer than a lot of people want to admit, but he still needs to be more consistent.  Catch them when they are on and we won't beat them.  but catch them on a down stroke and we could easily win.

Steelers looked pathetic.  But for every Bengal fan who swears he is not going to believe in the Bengals until he sees a full season to prove it we all have to realize that the Steelers have not had a losing record in 18 years and their defense has been top 6 in the league for 4 straight years.  If they get healthy they could be a completely different team.

Bengals have top 10 defense talent.  The offense has a lot of potential, but they have to get a lot more consistent.  That "banged up" Steeler defense still held us to 3 of 9 on third down and 268 total yards.   I think we have a lot of talent on offense also.  My biggest fear there is the health of Jonah Williams and Joe Mixon.  Hopefully Higgins returns 100% and Carman develops into an upgrade over Su'a-Filo.  If that happens then we will look a lot better.  Not an elite offense (yet), but plenty good enough to beat a lot of teams with a top 10 defense.

If the Browns stay healthy then I see them as the class of the division.  Right now, due mainly to injuries, the Steelers sre struggling and the Ravens are inconsistent.  I can see us anywhere from 2nd to 4th.

I think Ohio has the 2 best teams in the Division after yesterday honestly.

Browns will be tough. Very talented team and finally have a good coach.

The Browns beat a very good Bears Defense we couldn't beat cause of a play here and there but the Browns had a tough time
against that pass rush and maybe even tougher than we had. Hopkins played bad but played a bit better against the Steelers.

We are growing, the Division is tough.

We have been stopping the run which is key to beating the Browns and the Ravens.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 06:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And Logan Wilson and Vonn Bell.

We are great against the run.  We will slow them down.  But Chubb is a grossly underrated RB.   

So is Kareem Hunt and he is a great pass catcher as well.
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals are getting better.We know we have a very talented defense.The OL is improving(regardless of what PFF thinks).Joe Burrow is getting healthier and trusting his knee more.This defense hasn’t hit it’s peak.....yet.I think there’s a good chance the Bengals could end up #2 in the AFC North division.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 07:19 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Kinda funny how when JB was getting sacked
Through the 1st 2 games every media NFL guy
Said "oh.JB wont make it through 17 games,
And they should have drafted Penei blah blah.blah

Well.Baker Mayfield got sacked 5 times vs the Bears and
Thats 9 through 3 games. Thats only 1 less than JB
Yet nobody is saying.Baker wont make it through
17 games.

The hypocrisy is rather funny

well Burrow got hurt, Baker did not. so some might assume Burrow is more fragile than Baker
Reply/Quote
Yeah Mayfield is stockier. But he hurt his
Non throwing shoulder vs the Texans
And the.Bears got to him 5 times
Yet the national media has never said anything
About Mayfield getting sacked 9 times
JB gets touched by a pinkie and every
Fball outlet says blah.blah blah didnt
Draft Penei see what you got.....
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 12:13 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Yeah Mayfield is stockier. But he hurt his
Non throwing shoulder vs the Texans
And the.Bears got to him 5 times
Yet the national media has  never said anything
About Mayfield getting sacked 9 times
JB gets touched by a pinkie and every
Fball outlet says blah.blah blah didnt
Draft Penei see what you got.....

I do not know well enough what is the main factor of the sacks to Burrow but Mayfields sacks are due to his too deep drop and tendency to hold the ball. I think he may get hit quit a bit. Baker is good when things are running well in system but I do not think he can lead a game himself if asked to. 
Reply/Quote