Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AFCN NORTH FREE AGENCY RATING 1st WEEK
ESPN after one week of free agency has us rated highest in what we did the first week.

BENGALS B+
RAVENS B
STEELERS B-
BROWNS D

Thoughts
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ravens - B-
Bengals - C+
Steelers - C+
Browns - F

Ravens made moves but I don't think they will work out long term.
Bengals and Steelers get C+ for staying pretty much stagnant.
Browns failed miserably.
Reply/Quote
I like ours the best so far too, we lost a good player but at his price tag I'm fine with it. We brought back all the big players on D except Nelson, Hall, and Gilberry. I feel pretty good about Williams at safety so losing Nelson doesn't worry me too much, plus he's still available so you never know. I never really wanted Hall back after seeing him slow to get up seemingly every play last season and Gilberry would be nice to have back at a cheap price.

I also really like what the Ravens did with Wallace and Weddle. Browns got even worse so they deserve a bad grade, but this FA wasn't gonna make or break their rebuild and it's better they were quiet than going around shelling out huge contracts all over the place.

Steelers, eh it's a push to me. Overpaid for Millers replacement
Reply/Quote
Oy, I don't know what the Browns could have done. No one wants to sign there, so they're going to be forced to pay some sort of 150% market rate to get anyone.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 03:02 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I like ours the best so far too, we lost a good player but at his price tag I'm fine with it. We brought back all the big players on D except Nelson, Hall, and Gilberry. I feel pretty good about Williams at safety so losing Nelson doesn't worry me too much, plus he's still available so you never know. I never really wanted Hall back after seeing him slow to get up seemingly every play last season and Gilberry would be nice to have back at a cheap price.

I also really like what the Ravens did with Wallace and Weddle. Browns got even worse so they deserve a bad grade, but this FA wasn't gonna make or break their rebuild and it's better they were quiet than going around shelling out huge contracts all over the place.

Steelers, eh it's a push to me. Overpaid for Millers replacement

So... all = 50%?   Ninja 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 02:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ravens - B-
Bengals - C+
Steelers - C+
Browns - F

Browns failed miserably.

So you give the Ravens a higher grade just because they made moves?  Even though you don't think they will work out?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 02:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ravens - B-
Bengals - C+
Steelers - C+
Browns - F

Browns failed miserably.

I totally disagree, making moves and letting go players because you made moves does not mean you are better.  sometimes no move is the best move... The Bengals signed i would say the top 3/4 percent of the players most important.. Marvin was a loss but you can't keep them all.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 05:36 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: So you give the Ravens a higher grade just because they made moves?  Even though you don't think they will work out?

Hmm, well maybe that sort of thing makes sense with the Ravens because we've seen them get on a one-year streak that gets them a ring and then implode.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 03:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Oy, I don't know what the Browns could have done.  No one wants to sign there, so they're going to be forced to pay some sort of 150% market rate to get anyone.

Exactly.

Browns will hopefully build through the draft with Hue Jackson. Then after a year or so, more players will (hopefully for them) want to play there at a market value. 

I think Hue Jackson will do wonders for the Browns. Give him 2 years and he will have the team in contention at least.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Bengals signed the best players.  

And they only lost guys who just wanted more targets.    Same way they lost Frostee Rucker.    

They will be the best team in the division.   I think the steelers are gonna feel the loss of Bryant.    That offense won't be nearly as verticle and brown will feel the coverage.    This will be a similar to us losing Slim.  The problem is the steelers don't have a Housh.

Ravens only sign old guys.

And the Browns are in a long rebuild.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 02:55 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: ESPN after one week of free agency has us rated highest in what we did the first week.

BENGALS  B+
RAVENS B
STEELERS B-
BROWNS D

Thoughts

I actually agree with ESPN's ratings. Shocked

Bringing back Iloka and Adam was more than i expected out of our best FA's.

MLJ and Sanu were overpaid elsewhere, especially Sanu.

Bringing back Vinny, Sims and Winston was solid.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 08:13 PM)magikod Wrote: Exactly.

Browns will hopefully build through the draft with Hue Jackson. Then after a year or so, more players will (hopefully for them) want to play there at a market value. 

I think Hue Jackson will do wonders for the Browns. Give him 2 years and he will have the team in contention at least.

I don't know the details, but the Browns might have to start handing out some absurd contracts to reach the cap floor.  Again, I don't know the details, but it wouldn't surprise me the way any guy worth his salt is going to refuse to play there unless he's paid time and a half.
Reply/Quote
Cleveland Browns F
They cut away some of the useless fat on the roster like Bowe and Manziel and are looking to get younger, but they haven't signed anybody of note and they let go of several guys that would have and have been key members of the teams core so their FA period has been absolutely horrible. And its not like those guys got massive contracts either. And in some cases it felt like they didn't even try to keep these guys.

Offseason Moves:
Browns sign S Rahim Moore
Could be an okay signing. Hasn't played well since his major injury, but could bounce back.

Browns cut WR Dwayne Bowe
Good cut, he was complete garbage after signing a decent contract last year. He was an okay receiver at points what the hell happened to him.

Browns cut ILB Karlos Dansby
I mean he is aging and they aren't contending, but unless he asked to be cut I would rather keep a guy on my roster if there wasn't someone better on hand.

Browns sign ILB Demario Davis
Actually I don't know anything here so no comments really.

Browns waive QB Johnny Manziel
About time. I knew this idiot was going to bust hard. To be honest though the little bit of time he actually got to play he seemed like he could be a potential starting QB in the NFL. I seriously doubt we will never know because he's a damn selfish piece of crap that doesn't deserve to be in the league.

Browns re-sign ILB Tank Carder
I don't remember this guy doing much of anything lately I guess it's a whatever depth signing.

Browns cut DT Randy Starks
Getting older and hasn't played well for some seasons so it's understandable to let a player like that out.

Browns cut TE Jim Dray
Nothing special here imo.

Major losses:
Alex Mack C: Signed with Falcons (5 years)
I mean maybe he didn't want to come back and you can't help that, but with all the other moves they weren't making had to of made his decision easier. One of the league's top Centers. Well worth the money he got elsewhere.

Tashaun Gipson S: Signed with Jaguars
A good Safety. They used to have the pieces of a really good defense though a lot of those guys are gone now. It seems like the Browns lose a good safety every offseason for some reason to me.

Mitchell Schwartz OT: Signed with Chiefs (5 years, $33 million)
They needed a RT when they drafted Schwartz and he turns out to be really good, but then they let him go opening up the same weakness after getting him out of the draft? I mean it's not like cost an insane amount of money/

Travis Benjamin WR: Signed with Chargers
A weak WR FA pool and they could have brought back one of their few pleasant surprises on offense last year.

It also doesn't help that they probably would have had a good chance at getting Colin Kaepernick on the roster until they didn't keep their good players or add any others.

Well I was gonna do all 4 teams but I got tired from writing this one and I don't want to just waste it all so I guess this is all you get XD
Reply/Quote

That's the thing though the Browns have time and time again NOT given a Head Coach 2 years to get anything freaking done. I think it would take INTO his 3rd season to start seeing some real results of building through the draft and coaxing value FA to the team.

I do however feel that the fan base and hopefully the ownership itself feels they hit a home run with Hue's hiring so they will hopefully give him the time to work his magic. 

Of all the places for him to be a Head Coach he takes jobs in Oakland and Cleveland where they have inexplicitly fired Head Coaches that exceed the expectations set before them, where ownership would fire Jesus Christ after going 16-0 and winning a Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
Bengals C+
Steelers C
Ravens C
Browns Check minus.

No team really got any better and a few got worse at some big spots.
Ravens losing KO is huge and Will Hill.
Steelers lost a starting OT and Heath finally retired.
Bengals lost WR 2 and 3.

Sure we kept George and Pacman, Ravens added Weddle and Steelers added Green....but it's really not net gains.
Reply/Quote

Completely disagree with Hue doing wonders for the Browns.  If there's one thing that a decent coach can't overcome, it's poor ownership.  I can't believe that Hue took the Cleveland job.  It's a disaster.  He should have taken a different job (if offered) or stayed in Cincy one more year.  He is truly in a no-win situation with an owner that will give him 2 years, maybe 1 before firing him.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 07:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, well maybe that sort of thing makes sense with the Ravens because we've seen them get on a one-year streak that gets them a ring and then implode.

Yeah, but that was when Ray Lewis, Ngata and Ed Reed where in Baltimore.  Those guys are sorely missed from a leadership standpoint.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 02:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ravens made moves but I don't think they will work out long term.

Ravens signed a couple of decent players (Weddle, Wallace) but they also had to cut two starters from last year (Chris Canty, Daryl Smith) who were still under contract in order to create some cap space.  They have another defensive starter (Courtney Upshaw) who is still unsigned as a free agent.

But by far their biggest loss was Kelichi Osemele.  The bright spot of their season was when Osemele moved to LT late in the season and looked good enough to be their future starter there.  They have massive holes in their o-line.
Reply/Quote
Pittsburgh Steelers B-
They lost some good guys like Miller and Beachum, but replaced them already in free agency. I really love the Green pickup and they resigned most of their better free agents. If they got Boykin back they'd be doing real good.

Offseason Moves:
Steelers sign OT Ryan Harris
A decent signing as a low low end replacement for Beachum. Maybe they weren't thrilled at the prospect of Beachum coming back off injury. I also heard they really want Russell Okung, but he asked for too much.

Steelers sign TE Ladarius Green
I actually love this move. I think the Chargers would have wanted him back, but got the deal with Gates done out of loyalty and getting him to finish his career in San Diego. I honestly think Green got offended and left to go somewhere where he could actually be #1 because the Chargers have kept the timeless Gates in front of him every year (surprisingly Gates has still been really good). Oh and by love this movie I just mean its good for Pitt I'd grade it as an A.

Steelers re-sign G Ramon Foster
Foster's a really good lineman and while they've gotten better the last few years the Steelers need to keep as many of their good linemen as possible.

Steelers re-sign CB William Gay
I'm glad the resigned him just because of his name. Besides that he's been one of their better cornerbacks these past years.

Steelers re-sign WR Darrius Heyward-Bey
Eh I mean he knows the system and their #2 is suspended, but I think they could have improved on Heyward-Bey.

Steelers re-sign S Robert Golden
Seems like a decent enough signing I don't know a ton about Golden, but at worst he seems like a good backup.

Steelers announce retirement of TE Heath Miller
This sucks for them. Miller's always been a real reliable underrated TE. They did go out and get a talented replacement though.

Kelvin Beachum OT: Signed with the Jaguars
He injured his knee I know, but I don't see why they wouldn't want to keep the better part of their offensive line on the team.

Brandon Boykin CB: Unsigned
Maybe he's not as good as he seems, but he's a baller when on the field but Philly got rid of him and now Pittsburgh doesn't apparently want him either.

Steve McLendon NT: Signed with the Jets
I think they could improve over Steve, but they definitely losing some D-line depth without McClendon.
Reply/Quote
Baltimore Ravens B-
Biggest thing for me is losing Osemele. Otherwise they cut Hill, but brought in good solid vets like Wallace, Weddle, and Watson. Jesus they're gonna need all those W's to counter all the L's they'll probably be getting this season.

Offseason Moves:
Ravens sign WR Mike Wallace
I mean this is a decent veteran WR signing. He's familiar with our division and he should add some speed to the WR corps. As bad as I consider Flacco he's the best QB Wallace will have had since Big Ben. I think this is good insurance if Steve Smith can't make it back from his achilles injury.

Ravens sign S Eric Weddle
Great signing. It's an A+ for the Ravens organization, but an F for Weddle. He said he wanted to play for a competitor, but I don't think Baltimore will be competing at least not this season. I guess they must have laid a really good plan out for him plus they've proven in the past they can build a good roster they just gotta work around that Flacco contract.

Ravens sign TE Ben Watson
I don't know what to think. Watson has always been a good TE, I just think at some points he wasn't used to his fullest potential. At the same time he's 36 so he's got to drop off sometime soon. I'm gonna think of this as a good move meant to have a talented veteran receiving TE to mentor Maxx Williams.

Ravens re-sign CB Shareece Wright (3 years, $16 million
A little overpaid I think, but the Ravens have always valued Cornerbacks that come in and play good for them.

Ravens cut ILB Daryl Smith
He's been pretty bad and his at the end of his leash at 34. No issues trimming out older less productive veterans to get some youth on the team.

Ravens re-sign OLB Albert McClellan
They brought him back, but not Upshaw yet? Maybe that kid wants too much money or something.

Ravens cut S Will Hill
I know they got Eric Weddle and Hill's serving a 10 game suspension, but I hate the idea of a team letting go of a talented young player.

Ravens franchise K Justin Tucker
They have to keep Tucker who's one of the top 5 NFL kickers for sure. Maybe they should have franchised Osemele if they didn't want to lose him, but at least they won't have to worry about the kicking game this coming year.

Ravens tender WR Kamar Aiken (2nd)
He did pretty good as the last man standing with the 2nd string QB throwing at him towards the end of the year. Giving him a solid tender lets them figure out what's going on with Perriman who we know nothing about his ability to play, Wallace and aging vet, and Smith an even more aged vet coming off a major injury.

Kelechi Osemele G/OT: Signed with Raiders (5 years, $58.5 million)
This is their biggest loss and it's at one of their more weaker positions on the roster. Idk what they want to do with Monroe. I don't know if I can really blame the FO as I don't know their cap position which seems to be on the weaker end so it's hard to give out $10 million+ contracts, but this is going to really hurt them this upcoming season I think.

Courtney Upshaw OLB: Unsigned
Maybe not the most productive and consistent guy, but barring him wanting too much money I'd keep his youth on the roster and have him compete for playing time.
Reply/Quote