Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green.
In all honestly has he lived up to the HYPE coming out of Georgia? When we first got him the draft I was thinking domination like Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, MegaTRON.. type player... I am not seeing that. Or is it there and I am just not seeing it? I think maybe some of it is I see him every Sunday and I just don't appreciate what he does... every week for us maybe, but I think Chad gave more and did more than AJ has done.. not just talking about Stats but overall feel something is a MISS with... him...
Reply/Quote
He has all the skills he needs. i believe....

i doubt all the disconnect(between him and dalton) is just on green
but of daltons 66 career ints 27 have been to green... if they are the main combo here those 2 need to work out whatever disconnect there is and he needs to finish each play.

That video they queued up on MNF show'd some bad routes and plays on AJs part. but most refuse to see or hear it
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 04:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: He has all the skills he needs. i believe....

but of daltons 66 career ints 27 have been to green... if they are the main combo here those 2 need to work out whatever disconnect there is and he needs to finish each play.

That video they queued up on MNF show'd some bad routes and plays on AJs part.     but most refuse to see or hear it

Am I wrong thinking Chad was actually a better WR?  To be honest I feel like that..  I feel Chad gave more heart!!  I am not a statistic guy I mean but I just feel like he did give me and was hard to stop when he was with us...  I feel like AJ was/is so pumped up he has not lived up to expectations in some ODD way.
Reply/Quote
You're not seeing it. He's on the same list as most yards and receptions to start a career as those players you named. He's been injured and yet still averages the most receiving yards per game of any Bengals receiver.

Is he perfect? No. Is he great? Yes. There's veryyyyyy few I would take over AJ Green. Many teams would be ecstatic to have someone like Green.
Reply/Quote
Four years and still not in sync. People get degrees in that amount of time.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 04:47 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: Am I wrong thinking Chad was actually a better WR?  To be honest I feel like that..  I feel Chad gave more heart!!  I am not a statistic guy I mean but I just feel like he did give me and was hard to stop when he was with us...  I feel like AJ was/is so pumped up he has not lived up to expectations in some ODD way.

What are Green's expectations?
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 04:49 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: You're not seeing it. He's on the same list as most yards and receptions to start a career as those players you named. He's been injured and yet still averages the most receiving yards per game of any Bengals receiver.

Is he perfect? No. Is he great? Yes. There's veryyyyyy few I would take over AJ Green. Many teams would be ecstatic to have someone like Green.

can he be dominate yes... is he consistantly so NO
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 04:47 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: Am I wrong thinking Chad was actually a better WR?  To be honest I feel like that..  I feel Chad gave more heart!!  I am not a statistic guy I mean but I just feel like he did give me and was hard to stop when he was with us...  I feel like AJ was/is so pumped up he has not lived up to expectations in some ODD way.

This. ThumbsUp Chad was a basket case but he brought it every play. He ran great routes, engaged in blocks, and wanted the ball. AJ does each of these things, most of the time. Then he goes out and cuts off a route or misses a block or just doesn't catch the ball. AJ has shown he has the physical ability to be great, it just doesn't look like he always wants too.
Reply/Quote
So Ive never spoken on this subject, but I have always had several issues with Green.

1. He is boring and has zero swagger on or off the field. I am not saying he needs to be a clown like chad, but most of the best receivers of all time carry themselves with a confidence I find he lacks.

2. While he has great numbers statistically i feel like they are bloated by a pass attack that feeds him stats and him alone.

3. My biggest issue with him is that he just doesn't seem to love football or have a strong desire to be the best. Maybe this is just a misconception because I know he puts in a lot of off season work, but passion is something very hard to hide and he doesn't show it at all. Maybe he doesn't like Cincinnati and never wanted to be here in the first place so he has just done enough to get by. Maybe he just dislikes dalton and feels like he's in purgatory until he can get a new contract with another team.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 04:54 PM)thegimp Wrote: This.  ThumbsUp Chad was a basket case but he brought it every play.  He ran great routes,  engaged in blocks, and wanted the ball. AJ does each of these things, most of the time.  Then he goes out and cuts off a route or misses a block or just doesn't catch the ball. AJ has shown he has the physical ability to be great, it just doesn't look like he always wants too.

I personally yelled out after the interception...  That CHAD would have caught that ball CHAD would give it everything he ad to blow by that defender..  It is like he is on sometimes, like you are saying and off on other times!!!  
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 04:54 PM)thegimp Wrote: This.  ThumbsUp Chad was a basket case but he brought it every play.  He ran great routes,  engaged in blocks, and wanted the ball. AJ does each of these things, most of the time.  Then he goes out and cuts off a route or misses a block or just doesn't catch the ball. AJ has shown he has the physical ability to be great, it just doesn't look like he always wants too.

Chad had a great competitive spirit.  I also really respect the guy off the field and I wish he wouldn't let these crazy women take advantage of him. 

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 04:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: can he be dominate yes... is he consistantly so NO

Last year he had 7 games where he had 80 or more receiving yards. 5 of those games he had 100 or more yards. One game he had over 200 yards.
He had 4 games under 60 yards (not including the Denver game where he was visibly hurt).
Green played in 12 games, including the Denver game.

Dez Bryant had 9 games where he had 80 or more receiving yards. 4 of those games he had 100 or more yards. None with over 200 yards.
Bryant also had 4 games where he had under 60 yards.
Bryant played in all 16 games.

Calvin Johnson had 7 games where he had 80 or more receiving yards. 5 of those games he had 100 or more yards. None with over 200 yards.
Johnson had 6 games where he had under 60 yards.
Johnson played in 13 games. One game he was hurt early on, the other he left in the third quarter.

AJ Green's numbers are pretty much on par with them, even with missing time.
Reply/Quote
This is one of those topics that I just don't quite understand.

The guy comes in as a junior out of college and goes to the Pro-Bowl EVERY year. Sure, people will argue that it's just a popularity contest, but, when has Cincinnati been one of the pinnacles of popularity?

I have zero issues with the guy. He keeps his trap shut and goes out and plays the game. You don't see him bitching and moaning about getting the ball all the time. There are a few times where he has given up on a play, but for the most part, he is the last person on this team that I worry about.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 04:56 PM)Okeana Wrote: So Ive never spoken on this subject, but I have always had several issues with Green.

1.  He is boring and has zero swagger on or off the field.  I am not saying he needs to be a clown like chad, but most of the best receivers of all time carry themselves with a confidence I find he lacks.

2.  While he has great numbers statistically i feel like they are bloated by a pass attack that feeds him stats and him alone.  

3.  My biggest issue with him is that he just doesn't seem to love football or have a strong desire to be the best.  Maybe this is just a misconception because I know he puts in a lot of off season work, but passion is something very hard to hide and he doesn't show it at all.  Maybe he doesn't like Cincinnati and never wanted to be here in the first place so he has just done enough to get by.  Maybe he just dislikes dalton and feels like he's in purgatory until he can get a new contract with another team.

1. I don't recall Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson carrying themselves with such high confidence. Steve Smith and Terrell Owens did, and we saw how their teams went and how they destroyed a locker room.

2. In 2013 there were 6 different receivers that had 400 or more yards. Even the Broncos didn't have 6 different receivers with 400 or more yards. ANd they had a record setting offense in 2013. And they didn't do it last year either.

3. Why would you think he dislikes being here? He wanted them to pay Andy then pay him. Said thank you to DT. And by all accounts has told multiple reporters he WANTS to be here. Why doesn't he have a desire to be the best?
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 05:03 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Last year he had 7 games where he had 80 or more receiving yards. 5 of those games he had 100 or more yards. One game he had over 200 yards.
He had 4 games under 60 yards (not including the Denver game where he was visibly hurt).
Green played in 12 games, including the Denver game.

Dez Bryant had 9 games where he had 80 or more receiving yards. 4 of those games he had 100 or more yards. None with over 200 yards.
Bryant also had 4 games where he had under 60 yards.
Bryant played in all 16 games.

Calvin Johnson had 7 games where he had 80 or more receiving yards. 5 of those games he had 100 or more yards. None with over 200 yards.
Johnson had 6 games where he had under 60 yards.
Johnson played in 13 games. One game he was hurt early on, the other he left in the third quarter.

AJ Green's numbers are pretty much on par with them, even with missing time.

These stats are irrelevant.
1. toughness of schedule
2. receivers sharing load
3. quarterback of each team
4.  offensive schemes

example 

2014 Stats

Dez Bryant played in more games but their team was comparable to us in that they ran a lot later in the season.  

Here are the stats that stick out

Yards per catch. number of catches. and season total are about the same. when you consider AJ green missed games

Fumbles 

AJ Green - 2 ( both recovered by other team )
Dez Bryant - 0

Touchdowns 
AJ Green - 6
Dez Bryant -  16 

So while they average each other in catches it doesnt reflect interceptions caused by play, fumbles, or red zone effectiveness.

Dez Bryant is the superior receiver and much more reliable right now, but he's constantly gotten better every year based off his stats and has always been a more reliable red zone target.

Reply/Quote

I think AJ could suprass Chad long-term, but right now I would take Chad in his prime.  I think after AJ's rookie season everyone was thinking the Bengals had the best WR prospect, perhaps ever.  Some of the plays he made his rookie season were insane.  For whatever reason, I don't see the same "the ball is mine" attitude from him.  And I am not speaking about the preseason game at all.  He seems to get easily frustrated and gives up on routes. 

I still think he is a very, very good WR, but he needs to work on his shortcomings and get more aggressive with the ball in the air. 

No, I don't want him on any other team. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 05:15 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: 1. I don't recall Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson carrying themselves with such high confidence. Steve Smith and Terrell Owens did, and we saw how their teams went and how they destroyed a locker room.

2. In 2013 there were 6 different receivers that had 400 or more yards. Even the Broncos didn't have 6 different receivers with 400 or more yards. ANd they had a record setting offense in 2013. And they didn't do it last year either.

3. Why would you think he dislikes being here? He wanted them to pay Andy then pay him. Said thank you to DT. And by all accounts has told multiple reporters he WANTS to be here. Why doesn't he have a desire to be the best?

I'm not going to debate someone being boring its just my opinion.  Pointing out two big personalities having locker room issues doesn't make this dude have any charisma.

As far as him not liking being here ? What do you expect him to say ? this society is based on fake social faces and just because it isn't vocalized doesn't mean it isn't a very real thing.  I guess we will see when contract negotiations come up.  

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 04:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: He has all the skills he needs. i believe....

That video they queued up on MNF show'd some bad routes and plays on AJs part.     but most refuse to see or hear it

Just gotta add that passive aggressive dig at somebody nameless at the end, don't ya?   Please define most.  Is it 51% or 90%?  Just how many is most? 
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 05:24 PM)Okeana Wrote: These stats are irrelevant.
1. toughness of schedule
2. receivers sharing load
3. quarterback of each team
4.  offensive schemes

example 

2014 Stats

Dez Bryant played in more games but their team was comparable to us in that they ran a lot later in the season.  

Here are the stats that stick out

Yards per catch. number of catches. and season total are about the same. when you consider AJ green missed games

Fumbles 

AJ Green - 2 ( both recovered by other team )
Dez Bryant - 0

Touchdowns 
AJ Green - 6
Dez Bryant -  16 

So while they average each other in catches it doesnt reflect interceptions caused by play, fumbles, or red zone effectiveness.

Dez Bryant is the superior receiver and much more reliable right now, but he's constantly gotten better every year based off his stats and has always been a more reliable red zone target.

1. AFC North is tougher than NFC East. That's 6 games right there.
2. In 2013 Dalton spread the ball around. 6 receivers had 400 or more yards. No other team did that.
3. Romo > Dalton
4. Both tried running a similar scheme.

They resemble each other in catches and yards. Green missed games and even played a game while hurt. Yes, Bryant had a better 2014 season. I would hope he did.

But also check out 2013:
Bryant: 1,233 yards. 93 receptions. 13 touchdowns. Only 2 other players had 400 or more yards. Witten (851) and Williams (736).
Green: 1,426 yards. 98 receptions. 11 touchdowns. Same year the Bengals had 6 players with 400 or more yards. Jones (716), Gio (514), Gresham (458), Sanu (455), and Eifert (445).

Also, Green has gotten better year in and year out as well. He played 11 games, 12 if you want to count him limping in the Denver game. Injuries robbed him of a great season. Green was averaging 94.6 yards a game that year. 86.8 if you want to include the Denver game.

That's a 1,514 yard season. Or 1,385 yard season. Depending on how you view the Denver game.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 05:30 PM)Okeana Wrote: I'm not going to debate someone being boring its just my opinion.  Pointing out two big personalities having locker room issues doesn't make this dude have any charisma.

As far as him not liking being here ? What do you expect him to say ? this society is based on fake social faces and just because it isn't vocalized doesn't mean it isn't a very real thing.  I guess we will see when contract negotiations come up.  

Just because you find him boring doesn't mean he doesn't have confidence. Did you see the Baltimore game? Or how he yelled at the Texans sideline to get a new corner on him because this dude can't cover him?

So why do you think he doesn't want to be here? Honestly. Just want to see your view point on that. Because I've heard and seen nothing but positivity from him.
Reply/Quote