Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green Analysis
If you've never heard of Matt Waldman I suggest you follow him on twitter. In any case, here's an very short but interesting piece on our elite WR.

"It was true seven years ago and it remains true today: As good as Julio Jones is, I’d still take A.J. Green first. The Bengals receiver isn’t the runner Jones is, but he’s a more well-rounded route runner, withstands physical play with the ball in the air as well as any receiver in the league, and catches the ball better than Jones."

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2018/07/09/rsp-nfl-lens-the-greatness-of-a-j-green-vs-aqib-talib/
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 11:18 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: If you've never heard of Matt Waldman I suggest you follow him on twitter. In any case, here's an very short but interesting piece on our elite WR.

"It was true seven years ago and it remains true today: As good as Julio Jones is, I’d still take A.J. Green first. The Bengals receiver isn’t the runner Jones is, but he’s a more well-rounded route runner, withstands physical play with the ball in the air as well as any receiver in the league, and catches the ball better than Jones."

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2018/07/09/rsp-nfl-lens-the-greatness-of-a-j-green-vs-aqib-talib/

I agree with this.  However, out of the big 4 (Brown, Jones, Green, and Beckham) I'd take Green first, but also Jones, but I doubt if Brown or Beckham would conform to my 'no-nonsense or prima donna BS' that I'd require.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, i wouldn't take Julio over AJ either, close though, both are studs i just like AJ and his game better.

If Dalton has a pocket to step into AJ should have his best year this year. Last year was very frustrating for him and we
all saw it when he beat up Ramsey's helmet. Frustrating for all of us but you could really see it with AJ.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 01:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, i wouldn't take Julio over AJ either, close though, both are studs i just like AJ and his game better.

If Dalton has a pocket to step into AJ should have his best year this year. Last year was very frustrating for him and we
all saw it when he beat up Ramsey's helmet. Frustrating for all of us but you could really see it with AJ.

I think you are dead on.  With time, AJ will get open, and Dalton will find him.  And if Ross pans out, he can help take pressure off AJ.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 02:24 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I think you are dead on.  With time, AJ will get open, and Dalton will find him.  And if Ross pans out, he can help take pressure off AJ.

Someone will be open if Ross AJ and Eifert are all on the field.
Reply/Quote
If we can block for Dalton, I bet AJ will be back to what he was. He's forgotten because of the system that fails him. Yet, still puts up solid numbers (he had more touchdown catches than Julio, and we had the worst offense).

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
I am the only one who is not putting AJ at the top of this list, but at the bottom...here's why. Fear. I watch how other teams defend Jones, Beckham, and I wlll add Hopkins (who I think is the best out of all of them) and they are petrified at being beat over the top. I think AJ, as more of a long-strider, needs more time to get open and we simply don't have that out of scheme, line play, or a combination of both.

That is why I was so sold on the addition of Ross....a Tyreek Hill-type that can take a quick slant 90 yards if they play off coverage and he makes a tackler whiff.

Aj Green does amazing things, but there are many long stretches of the game where he looked uninterested. I am sure he is very frustrated with the team's performance the past two season. I need to see the "the ball is mine when it is in the air" AJ Green of a few years ago. I remember he snagged a deep pass against the Browns in his rookie season and when he caught it you literally heard this "THWACK" as his hands snagged the ball. I am hopeful Lazor and the new WR coach can bring it out of him again
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2018, 08:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am the only one who is not putting AJ at the top of this list, but at the bottom...here's why. Fear. I watch how other teams defend Jones, Beckham, and I wlll add Hopkins (who I think is the best out of all of them) and they are petrified at being beat over the top. I think AJ, as more of a long-strider, needs more time to get open and we simply don't have that out of scheme, line play, or a combination of both.

That is why I was so sold on the addition of Ross....a Tyreek Hill-type that can take a quick slant 90 yards if they play off coverage and he makes a tackler whiff.

Aj Green does amazing things, but there are many long stretches of the game where he looked uninterested. I am sure he is very frustrated with the team's performance the past two season. I need to see the "the ball is mine when it is in the air" AJ Green of a few years ago. I remember he snagged a deep pass against the Browns in his rookie season and when he caught it you literally heard this "THWACK" as his hands snagged the ball. I am hopeful Lazor and the new WR coach can bring it out of him again
Total BS.

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2018, 08:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Total BS.

I wouldn’t say it’s total BS. There are definitely times when AJ is mentally depleted and seems lost. As other posters have noted, it’s the boiled up frustration from being the hardest working guy on a futile offense.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2018, 10:05 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I wouldn’t say it’s total BS. There are definitely times when AJ is mentally depleted and seems lost. As other posters have noted, it’s the boiled up frustration from being the hardest working guy on a futile offense.

I really didn't notice it till last year. But there was a lot of tension in the locker room already after game 2. TBH, I don't think he felt good about being a Bengal last year and like many others, felt they had no chance with the incompetence of their leadership. We will see a different kind of enthusiasm this year.

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2018, 08:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Total BS.

You say this because you attend every home game, watch every coaches cut each game, and single out players?  I try to look at things from Dalton's point of view.  And AJ absolutely, at times, looked disinterested and wasn't a factor for long stretches.  That doesn't mean I don't think he is a transcendent talent, but he doesn't always seem to have the drive.  
Reply/Quote
Frustration and looking lost or uninterested are totally different things.

Accusing AJ Green of taking plays off for “long stretches” is absolutely ridiculous. I only wish some here would hold the QB to such high scrutiny instead of making every excuse under the sun when things don’t go right for him.

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2018, 10:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You say this because you attend every home game, watch every coaches cut each game, and single out players?  I try to look at things from Dalton's point of view.  And AJ absolutely, at times, looked disinterested and wasn't a factor for long stretches.  That doesn't mean I don't think he is a transcendent talent, but he doesn't always seem to have the drive.  

Dalton's point of view? Why not look at it through AJ's point of view, you know the WR that countless times has beat his man and Dalton sails the ball out of bounds not even giving him a chance. AJ Green by most objective observers will go down as the best Bengals Wr in history; I've never understood this hate for him from fans. No WR is perfect but overall he's an elite talent that produces on the field at a very high clip.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2018, 10:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Frustration and looking lost or uninterested are totally different things.

Accusing AJ Green of taking plays off for “long stretches” is absolutely ridiculous. I only wish some here would hold the QB to such high scrutiny instead of making every excuse under the sun when things don’t go right for him.

Couldn't agree more. The hate for AJ seems to always go back to the Dalton debate.  The Dalton fans cannot criticize the QB so instead they blame our elite WR. It is absolutely insane. 
Reply/Quote
I won't accuse AJ of taking plays off, or being disinterested, but I will say it must be extremely frustrated to run route after route with 2 or 3 defenders on you, knowing Dalton is never going to have the time to hit him because the line play was so poor.... hopefully, that will not be an issue this year.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2018, 10:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Frustration and looking lost or uninterested are totally different things.

Yeah, Dalton has never been scrutinized..... Green is human and loses focus at times (see Buffalo game) and has at times dropped a pass at a critical time during the game (home game vs Pittsburgh). So yeah he should be scrutinized for that...
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2018, 12:00 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Yeah, Dalton has never been scrutinized..... Green is human and loses focus at times (see Buffalo game) and has at times dropped a pass at a critical time during the game (home game vs Pittsburgh). So yeah he should be scrutinized for that...

Again, dropping passes is totally different than taking plays off or acting disinterested.

Name me a WR that doesn’t occasionally have a big drop? I’ll wait...

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2018, 12:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Again, dropping passes is totally different than taking plays off or acting disinterested.

Name me a WR that doesn’t occasionally have a big drop? I’ll wait...

Never said he takes plays off. I said he loses his focus. 
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 06:14 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: If we can block for Dalton, I bet AJ will be back to what he was. He's forgotten because of the system that fails him. Yet, still puts up solid numbers (he had more touchdown catches than Julio, and we had the worst offense).

That says so much.

I remember when Sherman dissed him his rookie year (and he was still tearing up the league).   I've watched Green improve every year.  The guy is a stud if you give him a supporting cast - which I pray we have done this year.

Also (off topic) he is not typically effusive about our other receivers, but he sure has been effusive about Tate.   I have a feeling about that guy.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2018, 08:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am the only one who is not putting AJ at the top of this list, but at the bottom...here's why.  Fear.  I watch how other teams defend Jones, Beckham, and I wlll add Hopkins (who I think is the best out of all of them) and they are petrified at being beat over the top.  I think AJ, as more of a long-strider, needs more time to get open and we simply don't have that out of scheme, line play, or a combination of both.

Aj Green does amazing things, but there are many long stretches of the game where he looked uninterested.  I am sure he is very frustrated with the team's performance the past two season.  I need to see the "the ball is mine when it is in the air" AJ Green of a few years ago.  I remember he snagged a deep pass against the Browns in his rookie season and when he caught it you literally heard this "THWACK" as his hands snagged the ball.  I am hopeful Lazor and the new WR coach can bring it out of him again

I think he gave up because Dalton A) had literally no time to throw the ball most of the time and B) After getting knocked around all season Dalton just turned into mush.   So would Brady by the way.  Not a diss on Dalton.   I'm just saying he lost all confidence in our ability to get him the ball - or anyone else.
Reply/Quote