Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green Disappointed Me Last Night
(12-29-2015, 02:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: True that....but why were you giving Green a pass in the past?  Not being an ass, genuinely curious.  To me, if you're going to be called elite, you make nearly all of the plays and step up when it's needed the most.  I'm not sold Green fits that entire bill.  He's certainly very good, but elite?

I guess my attitude was you can't expect him to catch everything. But when those critical catches have to be made they aren't (remember the dropped catch in the Houston playoff game? We would've won that one if he caught that.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Got it. You guys go with the good and popular stance.

I'll go with AJ Green is, has been, and will be an elite NFL WR.

Cant wait to see what you go with when these guys lose again in the playoffs. Maybe "we should be thankful" stance?  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 03:46 PM)GodFather Wrote: I guess my attitude was you can't expect him to catch everything. But when those critical catches have to be made they aren't (remember the dropped catch in the Houston playoff game? We would've won that one if he caught that.

I feel ya....or the one against San Diego.  That's where I am with him as well.  He just hasn't been elite on the big stages when we REALLY needed him to be.  I guess you can say that about the whole damn team though....it's maddening.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 03:47 PM)GodFather Wrote: Cant wait to see what you go with when these guys lose again in the playoffs. Maybe "we should be thankful" stance?  Smirk

I'm already thankful for a 11-4 season and an AFC North title.

Can't wait to see what you go with if we ever have a losing season again. We have had 3 since 2002. i guess I should not be thankful.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 05:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm already thankful for a 11-4 season and an AFC North title.

Can't wait to see what you go with if we ever have a losing season again. We have had 3 since 2002. i guess I should not be thankful.

No wins in the playoffs whatsoever? No Im not the underachiever type, Im not thankful in the least bit even if we went undefeated in the regular season since 2002 and still couldn't muster up one playoff victory.
Reply/Quote
Good but NOT Elite
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Green-is-great-but-is-he-really-ELITE?highlight=Elite
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 1 WR in the history of the NFL has made the Pro Bowl in the first 5 years of their career.

Guess which "non-elite" WR that is. 

This really proves nothing. Andy earned a spot in the Pro Bowl by every objective measure, and yet he's not in it.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
AJ is a fantastic WR. I don't see him as clutch, and I think that's an important part of what makes up an Elite player. If he's not seeing the ball with regularity, he can lose focus. He stopped that route last night because he didn't think  he was getting the ball - ridiculous.

Big disappointment last night. Great player, not Elite. Glad we have a talent like him, but I'm not much of a fan. We have plenty guys to admire for their relentless work ethic and talent besides AJ Green: Gio, Pacman, Geno, and Carlos for starters.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
AJ Green is the only reason the Bengals ever win now. Remember what happened during that Houston playoff game where we didn't target him till the 2nd half? Same thing happened yesterday. Mac refused to throw the ball to AJ in the 2nd half for the most part.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 08:00 PM)Utts Wrote: AJ is a fantastic WR. I don't see him as clutch, and I think that's an important part of what makes up an Elite player. If he's not seeing the ball with regularity, he can lose focus. He stopped that route last night because he didn't think  he was getting the ball - ridiculous.

Big disappointment last night. Great player, not Elite. Glad we have a talent like him, but I'm not much of a fan. We have plenty guys to admire for their relentless work ethic and talent besides AJ Green: Gio, Pacman, Geno, and Carlos for starters.

x2
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 07:52 PM)Utts Wrote: This really proves nothing. Andy earned a spot in the Pro Bowl by every objective measure, and yet he's not in it.

Don't forget the continuous Whitworth snubs over the years....and Dunlap and Pacman this season.

(12-29-2015, 08:00 PM)Utts Wrote: AJ is a fantastic WR. I don't see him as clutch, and I think that's an important part of what makes up an Elite player. If he's not seeing the ball with regularity, he can lose focus. He stopped that route last night because he didn't think  he was getting the ball - ridiculous.

Yes.....those guys played their asses off last night....and do every game.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 05:21 PM)GodFather Wrote: No wins in the playoffs whatsoever? No Im not the underachiever type, Im not thankful in the least bit even if we went undefeated in the regular season since 2002 and still couldn't muster up one playoff victory.

Im thankful we have a team unlike what is going to happen teams like St. Louis, San Diego and Oakland.  I would love to go through a undefeated season regardless of playoffs.. does not mean i would not be mad and upset if we lost in playoffs... 
Reply/Quote

I totally see him as clutch just as I see A. Brown from Pittsburgh as clutch.. both are elite but both make mistakes.. I have watched Brown drop two critical TDs this year.. but he is still elite WR. I have seen the same from AJ
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 08:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I totally see him as clutch just as I see A. Brown from Pittsburgh as clutch.. both are elite but both make mistakes.. I have watched Brown drop two critical TDs this year.. but he is still elite WR. I have seen the same from AJ

You see signs of greatness, and yet there are these nagging issues that take the shine off a little. I think AJ has everything but the burning desire. I don't know AJ so I feel bad making that judgement, but I can only go off of what I see from afar. I can only imagine how great he'd be, if he had the heart of somebody like Gio.
Reply/Quote
People who don't think AJ Green is an elite Wr have no clue what they are talking about. Every WR has a bad game or makes a critical mistake. AJ Green is no different. He isn't perfect but no WR in the history of the NFL is. Look at what he has accomplished throughout his first 5 seasons and it is plain to see why he's considered one of the best in the game by almost every respected expert. It's a shame that the fans can't appreciate him.
Reply/Quote
How many game changing 'clutch' catches has AJ turned in against Baltimore? Dude's made a career of it. You know what elite receiver wasn't clutch against Baltimore? Brown.

How about against Pittsburgh in week 8? Clutch time, who caught that td that won the game?

Every argument against AJ being elite...who's in the category then? Let's hear the real life comparisons. I have no idea what mythological receivers he's being compared to.
Reply/Quote
Aj quit on the play because he was trying to get a PI call. He shouldn't have, but he did because he was getting mugged. Hower, quitting on the play cost us both the PI call and the td.

Reply/Quote
AJ Green - and the rest of the team - simply need a big playoff win.

If they got a playoff win and AJ really showed up at key points to help put them over the top a lot of this type of talk goes away.

Great regular season production is awesome but to most of the rest of the NFL , AJ & the Bengals do not show up in the playoffs and until they do this is the easy way to dismiss them.

From a personal point of view I'm real glad he's ours and its crazy the consistent production he's put on right from the start of his career. If he stays healthy he could finish really high up on the all time yardage/receptions lists.

I think the 1st team All Pro squad is the real judge if you are talking about the very , very best in any given year. Pro Bowl takes 8 receivers (?) so with alternates / no shows a lot of WR's could get a Pro Bowl in their career. AJ has never made 1st team All Pro in anyone of his 5 seasons so there's still more to come from him hopefully.
Reply/Quote
I was disappointed that he slowed up on the bomb to the end zone. Maybe if he hadn't, he would have been able to pull in that off-target throw. That's part of his job though.....making plays that sometimes aren't there.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 10:44 AM)sonofstat Wrote: AJ Green - and the rest of the team - simply need a big playoff win.

If they got a playoff win and AJ really showed up at key points to help put them over the top a lot of this type of talk goes away.

Great regular season production is awesome but to most of the rest of the NFL , AJ & the Bengals do not show up in the playoffs and until they do this is the easy way to dismiss them.

From a personal point of view I'm real glad he's ours and its crazy the consistent production he's put on right from the start of his career.  If he stays healthy he could finish really high up on the all time yardage/receptions lists.

I think the 1st team All Pro squad is the real judge if you are talking about the very , very best in any given year.  Pro Bowl takes 8 receivers (?) so with alternates / no shows a lot of WR's could get a Pro Bowl in their career.  AJ has never made 1st team All Pro in anyone of his 5 seasons so there's still more to come from him hopefully.

I really don't think anyone is bashing AJ Green when arguing he is not elite yet. Nor is anybody saying they are not glad he is ours. I am very thankful to have him on our team. I think we are just pointing out that if he didn't give up on plays (which he has done multiple times this season alone), didn't disappear in some games (although I know in some games he needs to play the role of decoy), and more consistently went after and won contested balls he would be quite literally unstoppable. If he finds that quality within himself that every ball is his, we will see a force of nature. I would love to witness that. I still love him, but I want to see him become the undisputed best WR in the NFL. He has the potential to be that.
Reply/Quote