Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green Drops
Personally I'd not resign him unless it is a super friendly team deal. Clearly that money can go elsewhere... O line or defense
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 10:34 AM)BacknDaDey Wrote: Something is wrong with the Burrow AJ connection.  AJ was targeted 13 times with only 3 connections.  Is Burrow looking for AJ too much?  Has AJ lost a step?  Is Burrow rushing his throws because his O-line sucks?

All of the above
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I think Green will get his legs under him by the break in schedule, and remember, this is equivalent to the 2nd preseason game and he missed all of last year. With that said, I would not think long term contract with Green at this point.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 11:17 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Many know more about football than me but I thought AJ was very poor in getting separation last night.

He also killed my fantasy team as I played him as my flex over Hunt. Cry

I hope its rust but the kid Thomas was way more effective last night not to mention Tyler.

Thomas looked impressive. I’d like to see him and Tate played more, decrease Ross’s snaps.
Reply/Quote
I hope for the team’s sake it’s just rust. He’s had some good throws his way he couldn’t bring in. Personally I think he’s lost a step and may not recover to the AJ we knew. I hope like heck he proves me wrong. Next few games should tell.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 10:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: AJ Green has the second-highest cap hit of all WRs this year.
$18.171 mill.
He is 28th in the league in receiving yards (80) with having an extra game over 30 other teams.
36.4% catch percentage.
He'll have better games (Ward is a good CB), but he may not be an automatic 1000+ yard WR.
Do you keep a non-automatic 1000+ yard WR beyond this year at $15+ mill a year?
I don't.

(09-18-2020, 10:59 AM)Au165 Wrote: I mean he only had 30 less yards on 60 less snaps. Joking aside though Ross shouldn’t be getting 30 snaps a game, and I am beginning to wonder if AJ should get as many as he is. His route running deep has been bad, heck even one of his catches he double clutched it and ended up making a circus catch out of a routine one.

Everyone knows I am president of the Auden Tate fan club, but seriously with the lack of separation guys are getting as it is, the time has come to let him have his shot. Everyone keeps talking about how Joe isn’t on the same pages as AJ or Ross on the deep balls yet but all we have heard all off season was how much Tate and Joe were on the same page on them.

AJ will always be one of my favorite Bengals. Is it time to try and trade AJ ? Does he have any value on the market ? This team needs Oline help, bad !
Reply/Quote
I said in the Tate thread that I think AJ is holding this team back.

I’ll try to explain why a little bit here.

I love AJ. I don’t think he’s doing anything wrong. I understand why the team wanted to keep him- to help transition the new QB and it makes sense, but after 2 games (I know it’s a short sample) I thinks it’s apparent that Joe doesn’t need this. He is definitely the real deal QB but won’t be for very long behind this line. I also think keeping a ‘legend’ in his twilight like AJ, puts some sort of pressure on a new QB (regardless of pedigree). We kept AJ as a safety net but we don’t need it anymore. We need a real safety net in O line protection. This cannot be ignored for another down!!! AJ would serve the Bengals best as trade bait. I don’t know what he’d bring but we need linemen not receivers. We’re good there. A good QB willl make a good receiver. Evident of this abound.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 08:47 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I said in the Tate thread that I think AJ is holding this team back.

I’ll try to explain why a little bit here.

I love AJ. I don’t think he’s doing anything wrong. I understand why the team wanted to keep him- to help transition the new QB and it makes sense, but after 2 games (I know it’s a short sample) I thinks it’s apparent that Joe doesn’t need this. He is definitely the real deal QB but won’t be for very long behind this line. I also think keeping a ‘legend’ in his twilight like AJ, puts some sort of pressure on a new QB (regardless of pedigree). We kept AJ as a safety net but we don’t need it anymore. We need a real safety net in O line protection. This cannot be ignored for another down!!! AJ would serve the Bengals best as trade bait. I don’t know what he’d bring but we need linemen not receivers. We’re good there. A good QB willl make a good receiver. Evident of this abound.

But you aren't going to get a player for player trade that will give us an elite lineman.

Perhaps Green will have the rust knocked off and be back to a high level by the trade deadline and could command that type of compensation, but at that point the buyer would have to be a team trying to get that extra push.  In that instance they are not going to trade a quality starting lineman when they are going all in on this season.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 10:59 AM)Au165 Wrote: I mean he only had 30 less yards on 60 less snaps. Joking aside though Ross shouldn’t be getting 30 snaps a game, and I am beginning to wonder if AJ should get as many as he is. His route running deep has been bad, heck even one of his catches he double clutched it and ended up making a circus catch out of a routine one.

Everyone knows I am president of the Auden Tate fan club, but seriously with the lack of separation guys are getting as it is, the time has come to let him have his shot. Everyone keeps talking about how Joe isn’t on the same pages as AJ or Ross on the deep balls yet but all we have heard all off season was how much Tate and Joe were on the same page on them.

I don't really recall any stories about Tate and Burrow on deep balls during camp.  The closest is the vague "developed good chemistry" reports that surfaced after the first scrimmage, but those same reporters claimed AJ looked great in his limited work, too.  Sadly, the beat writers see what they want to see and if we've learned anything from all the past "Golden Binns Award" winners, it's that you can't trust their WR evaluations.

I don't really see your logic.  Burrow, like a lot of young QB's, is overthrowing WR's on deep balls.  That's perfectly natural.  You're in your first few games as a pro, that WR comes wide open deep, your eyes get big, you're amped up, and you put a little too much on it.  Putting one of the slowest WR's in the league out there is counterproductive.

On top of that, I wouldn't cave to that total ***** "may request a trade" move he had his agent pull.  He's had ample time to refute that, and hasn't.  You have to wonder if his attitude is one of the reasons he isn't playing.

The guy who should be eating into Ross's snaps is Thomas.  The guy has caught 6 of 7 targets and leads the Bengals' WR's in separation.  
Reply/Quote
He better get better. He's killing my Fantasy teams
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 10:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is a really bad take.

We're in that place right now, where all the frustrated loonyness happens. 

Two losses, one of which might very well have been a win. 

It's the era we live in--the "I want what I want and I want it yesterday" era.

It's why every hitter in MLB is swinging for the fences on every swing, why every player in the NBA thinks he should be bombing threes.  Patience is a lost quality.  I guess it's only a matter of time until NFL offenses start dropping back and throwing go routs every play.

We'll be seeing fire everybody, trade everybody, make the Brown family sell the team, sign Burfict threads left and right. 

Welcome to the Age of Insanity.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Our entire passing game has fallen off a cliff since Taylor arrived.

No matter how much you hate Dalton I think you have to admit that his drop off from 2018 to 2019 was shocking. I think coaching was a big part of the reason he looked so bad.

I am not defending Daltons production last year, but i find it hard to believe that he forgot how to play QB in a few months between the '18 and '19 season. he has dealt with poor protection before, so it is not all on the O-line either. If we don't have a passing scheme that creates mismatches in coverage or gets our receivers open NO QUARTERBACK is going to look very good.

I am pretty sure Burrow will get better as the season progresses, but so far his passer rating is pretty much the same as Dalton's last year (81.5 to 78.3). I wonder how much the coaching is holding him back.
Reply/Quote
I expect it to take him 4 games to get back in shape. After that, he will start looking like the AJ Green we are used to. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 04:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Our entire passing game has fallen off a cliff since Taylor arrived.

No matter how much you hate Dalton I think you have to admit that his drop off from 2018 to 2019 was shocking.  I think coaching was a big part of the reason he looked so bad.

I am not defending Daltons production last year, but i find it hard to believe that he forgot how to play QB in a few months between the '18 and '19 season.  he has dealt with poor protection before, so it is not all on the O-line either.  If we don't have a passing scheme that creates mismatches in coverage or gets our receivers open NO QUARTERBACK is going to look very good.

I am pretty sure Burrow will get better as the season progresses, but so far his passer rating is pretty much the same as Dalton's last year (81.5 to 78.3).  I wonder how much the coaching is holding him back.

Receivers are getting open. Just for the heck of it, i went back and watched the All 22 from the Chargers game. 

Burrow, not counting the 2 deep misses, missed at least 2 other touchdowns where he went one way and there was a receiver running open on the other side of the field. That happens to every team, every game. Dalton was missing them too, as well as missing badly to the guys he was throwing to. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 10:34 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I expect it to take him 4 games to get back in shape. After that, he will start looking like the AJ Green we are used to. 

I hope so.  We need him to play better and I would hate for the play he showed the last two games to tarnish his legacy here.
Reply/Quote
People really drafted AJ in fantasy?

The uneasy truth about Green (and the reason many would have understood if we traded him or let him go) is he always had drops and lack of focus especially in big, important, and primetime games. Without Dalton around to take blame, I guess folks are just now figuring this out.

Green hasn't been a top 10 receiver since 2014.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 09:57 AM)jj22 Wrote: People really drafted AJ in fantasy?

The uneasy truth about Green (and the reason many would have understood if we traded him or let him go)  is he always had drops and lack of focus especially in big, important, and primetime games. Without Dalton around to take blame, I guess folks are just now figuring this out.

Green hasn't been a top 10 receiver since 2014.

You do realize there are more than 10 WRs in a fantasy league?

As to the rest: I remember everyone blaming Andy for AJ's poor play the last couple years. He did play in 9 of 32 games after all and in those 9 games AJ had 700 yards and 6 TDs while averaging over 15 YPC.

You're really going to have to find something else to use to defend #14

Reply/Quote
No need to defend Dalton in an AJ drops thread when Dalton is long gone.....

I'm just surprised this thread is back given these AJ issues were often blamed on the QB.

But you clearly fell for it being qb related by wasting a pick on him in fantasy.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 10:31 AM)jj22 Wrote: No need to defend Dalton in an AJ drops thread when Dalton is long gone.....

I'm just surprised this thread is back given these AJ issues were often blamed on the QB.

But you clearly fell for it being qb related by wasting a pick on him in fantasy.

Then why do it?

Reply/Quote
Because I heard for too many years AJ's problems were the qb. So no defense of Dalton, more of a it was never the qb attack on Green.

The truth is, Green hasn't been all that good for awhile now. Not in big games, not in primetime, not in playoffs. Hell for awhile there he wasn't even a top 3 receiver in the AFCN.

Reply/Quote