Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green Fumbles
(09-10-2018, 03:31 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: Yeah he worries me the way he carries the damn ball.  Chad Johnson was notorious for that. I hope he stops leaving it hang out the rest of the season or one will cost us. Thankfully Boyd saved the one

Chad had 7 fumbles on 766 career catches.

AJ has 12 fumbles on 562 career catches.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 09:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Chad had 7 fumbles on 766 career catches.

I’m not trying to say chad fumbled a lot, just to put the ball away and not try to gain style points when picking up yards because you think you have the defense beat or they can’t take it from you. I used to hate the way chad had the ball cradled rather than tucked away, aj does that as well but hopefully he changes that.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 02:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: As much as we all love AJ, this guy fumbles WAY TOO MUCH! I feel he fumbles more than any receiver I've ever seen play the game.

Glad we found a way to win in a game where AJ had two (one extremely costly) fumbles. He is lucky he isn't a white ginger haired man or he may get more criticism.

Step it up AJ! Elite receivers don't give the ball away.

Antonio Brown has 3 more fumbles (15) than Green, so yes, elite wrs absolutely do give the ball away.

Elite does not equal perfection. Elite players at every position make mistakes. Hard to believe, I know.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 02:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: As much as we all love AJ, this guy fumbles WAY TOO MUCH! I feel he fumbles more than any receiver I've ever seen play the game.

Glad we found a way to win in a game where AJ had two (one extremely costly) fumbles. He is lucky he isn't a white ginger haired man or he may get more criticism.

Step it up AJ! Elite receivers don't give the ball away.

He had lost two fumbles last year.. Brown had 4 last year... 
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 08:25 PM)Bryan Wrote: [Image: 636329482466876031-chad.johnson5.jpg?wid...1&fit=crop]

Chad himself says AJ is better. And he ain’t exactly humble.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 10:29 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I’m not trying to say chad fumbled a lot, just to put the ball away and not try to gain style points when picking up yards because you think you have the defense beat or they can’t take it from you. I used to hate the way chad had the ball cradled rather than tucked away, aj does that as well but hopefully he changes that.

I still find it interesting that AJ's fumble rate is nearly twice as high. I just think some people saying AJ is "miles" better is flat out insulting and forgetful. If you compare Chad's 5-6 best years to AJ's, Chad definitely has the better numbers, although AJ will probably get him on longevity.

On the field there are several things Chad did better, and at this point I think it'll stay that way. I have those 2 about even tbh.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 11:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chad himself says AJ is better. And he ain’t exactly humble.

Chad has always been full of compliments. I'd compare this to Magic saying Kobe was better than him. He's just propping up the next generation, but in his heart, I doubt he actually believes that. 
Reply/Quote
Ha,
I laugh in you face.

He has LOST 7 fumbles since coming into the league. He has CAUGHT 82 TD's. 75 more TD's than fumbles.

I will take him EVERY TIME.

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 11:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I still find it interesting that AJ's fumble rate is nearly twice as high. I just think some people saying AJ is "miles" better is flat out insulting and forgetful. If you compare Chad's 5-6 best years to AJ's, Chad definitely has the better numbers, although AJ will probably get him on longevity.

On the field there are several things Chad did better, and at this point I think it'll stay that way. I have those 2 about even tbh.

You can go back and forth on both of them.. Chad was never a great route runner... AJ is better,  Chad was athletic and great in the middle of the field... but from my eyes AJ is more dependable overall.  Stats over the start of their career are very similar, Chad's skills did decrease once he got to 10th season.  My personal opinion is  i believe AJ is a harder worker to keep his craft at elite level than Chad was and that in the end will separate the two players and that is usually what can separate those that end up in the Hall of Fame and those that wear the jacket hoping to be in the Hall of Fame...
Reply/Quote
Every year AJ seems to have a game where his head is somewhere else. It's good that he got it out of the way in the opener. Smooth sailing the rest of the way.

Chad lead the AFC in receiving yards 4 consecutive years, one of those years he lead the entire NFL. 

They're both great and i don't see how it's anything more than a coin flip after their first 7 years.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 11:42 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You can go back and forth on both of them.. Chad was never a great route runner... AJ is better, Chad was athletic and great in the middle of the field... but from my eyes AJ is more dependable overall.  Stats over the start of their career are very similar, Chad's skills did decrease once he got to 10th season.  My personal opinion is  i believe AJ is a harder worker to keep his craft at elite level than Chad was and that in the end will separate the two players and that is usually what can separate those that end up in the Hall of Fame and those that wear the jacket hoping to be in the Hall of Fame...

Huh?

Not only is that false but, huh?

AJ is much more fluid and smooth, but he can't cut and turn on a dime, like Chad could.

And that's part of route running.

I never argue with you, because you clearly know your shit, but sorry, Chad was a phenomenal route runner, as that was what he worked hard at, being that he didn't have elite height, nor did he have elite speed, which AJ has him beaten in both.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
There is a difference between route running and being elusive, Chad's ability at times masked his lack of route precision but he made plays anyway with his great athletic ability and to give him credit he made plays out of bad throws. what I am referring to is being on the same page on route with QB, my view is Chad was less on the same page with QBs than AJ. Both are great players to be honest to act like AJ has fumbling issues in his career is weak anyway so why did I even comment. Lol
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 12:27 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: There is a difference between route running and being elusive, Chad's ability at times masked his lack of route precision but he made plays anyway with his great athletic ability and to give him credit he made plays out of bad throws. what I am referring to is being on the same page on route with QB, my view is Chad was less on the same page with QBs than AJ. Both are great players to be honest to act like AJ has fumbling issues in his career is weak anyway so why did I even comment. Lol

This. Here are Chad’s comments on AJ btw...

“To me he’s the greatest (Bengals receiver) of all time because he can do things I wasn’t able to do,” Johnson told Bengals.com. “High-point the ball. And he’s a much more consistent pass-catcher than I was.”

Chad was amazing. AJ is amazing. We’re extremely lucky that we replaced one elite WR with another.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 09:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Chad had 7 fumbles on 766 career catches.

I believe that those fumbles of Chads are LOST fumbles in which case they currently have the same number of lost fumbles. 7.

I do agree AJ needs to take better care of the ball. I am sure he will.

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 03:23 PM)bengals67 Wrote: AJ is the best WR is team history by a mile. Plus he is a great young man.

He has way too many fumbles.

He should have known this was an issue and corrected it long before Sunday.

No, no he's not.

Chad Johnson: 3x 1st Team All-Pro, 1x 2nd Team All-Pro
AJ Green: 0x 1st Team All-Pro, 2x 2nd Team All-Pro

Chad Johnson: 2006 Receiving Yards Leader, 4th once, and 3rd twice.
AJ Green: Has never finished higher than 5th in receiving yards and only did even that once.

AJ Green will end up having a longer career (because safeties aren't allow to make a WRs brains seep out of his ears going across the middle anymore), but there's zero question that the best WR in Bengals history is Chad Johnson. Keep in mind Chad also did that while playing against secondaries containing Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu that were perennially top ranked defenses.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 12:07 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Huh?

Not only is that false but, huh?

AJ is much more fluid and smooth, but he can't cut and turn on a dime, like Chad could.

And that's part of route running.

I never argue with you, because you clearly know your shit, but sorry, Chad was a phenomenal route runner, as that was what he worked hard at, being that he didn't have elite height, nor did he have elite speed, which AJ has him beaten in both.

I've never understood this narrative. I think it's a case of people parroting each other and it turns into legend. 

You don't get the numbers Chad did being a poor route runner. Did he occasionally improvise? Yes, but I've shown in the past that most great WR's improvise at times. Drew Brees once said he preferred Marques Colston improvise when called for. Poor route runner though? No.

(09-11-2018, 12:36 AM)jwayne Wrote: I believe that those fumbles of Chads are LOST fumbles in which case they currently have the same number of lost fumbles. 7.

Nope. Those are Chad's total fumbles for his career.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnCh01.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GreeA.00.htm
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 09:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Chad had 7 fumbles on 766 career catches.

So he averages about 2 a season then. 

Glad we got them out of the way early on in a game we won even. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 11:41 PM)jwayne Wrote: Ha,
I laugh in you face.

He has LOST 7 fumbles since coming into the league. He has CAUGHT 82 TD's. 75 more TD's than fumbles.

I will take him EVERY TIME.

GO BENGALS!

Who has 82 TD's? Not AJ Green.

Reply/Quote
AJ has 58 TDs atm. Needs 10 more to pass Chad.

Reply/Quote
Both are/were pretty damn good and I wish we had both in their prime at the same time. I don't ask for too much .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote