Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green On Playoffs: I Think So
(06-17-2019, 12:15 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's a passing league, and, while he may not have been Taylor's first choice, he's qualified because he spent a bunch of years as a defensive backs' coach, with his defenses usually ranking in the top ten in interceptions.

He also likes to play his defensive backs up in the receivers' faces, which is great if we can get some pass rush (which it looks like we will) because it will force the offense into making mistakes.

All of our other qualified defensive position coaches will also make life a lot easier on him.

So any defensive coach who came on as the DC, who also likes press coverage, is going to be great. Seems like you’re reaching
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 11:47 AM)McC Wrote: Yeah, I'll admit I just glanced at your drivel long enough to see it was written in "just another Troll who thinks he see the future" and therefore isn't worth wasting time on.   Next, you'll tell me how objective you are.

I wasn’t even talking to you. So why are you here responding and wasting time? You’re an angry little person.

I asked the OP what about the bengals DC instills the confidence to assume he’s gonna make the worst defense in football better.

He didn’t give a good answer. Either did you.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 11:51 AM)BNSF Wrote: I wasn’t even talking to you.  So why are you here responding and wasting time?  You’re an angry little person.

I asked the OP what about the bengals DC instills the confidence to assume he’s gonna make the worst defense in football better.  

They weren't the worst defense.  There goes the crux of your argument.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 11:51 AM)BNSF Wrote: I wasn’t even talking to you.  So why are you here responding and wasting time?  You’re an angry little person.

He made a prediction.  Just like you.  Unless one of you has a crystal ball, neither of you really has a good answer.  The real answer is time will tell. But you go on pretending you know.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 11:57 AM)McC Wrote: They weren't the worst defense.  There goes the crux of your argument.

They gave up the most yards in the nfl and the most yards per game (obviously)

They were 30th in pts per game.

They were awful

Still waiting for your answer. How does this dc make them better?
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:02 PM)BNSF Wrote: They gave up the most yards in the nfl and the most yards per game (obviously)

They were awful

Still waiting for your answer.  How does this dc make them better?

That's all true, but that was also last year, and it's very hard to use one season to predict another in the NFL. 

In 2013, the Bengals D was ranked 3rd. They fell 19 spots the following year. Then shot up 11 spots the next year. Then last year, they fell 18 spots from the year before. They've been up and down in recent years, so it's hard to gauge what they will be in 2019.

Every season is a different animal. A lot will depend on how healthy they can stay and how well the new staff can scheme. It's difficult to make any real judgments on what they will be this year until we even see them in actual game situations.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:00 PM)McC Wrote: He made a prediction.  Just like you.  Unless one of you has a crystal ball, neither of you really has a good answer. 

Actually BNSF did not make a prediction at all.

And Brad did not just make prediction.  He actually stated what he claimed was the basis for his prediction.  .  .  ‘Anarumo is a good enough coordinator to mask the defense's weaknesses’.

All BNSF did was call out Brad's unsubstantiated claim, and for that you accused him of being a troll.

Personally I don't have a lot of faith in Anarumo, but I am going to wait and see how he does before I judge him. And I sure as hell am not going to accuse anyone of being a troll just because he does not agree that ‘Anarumo is a good enough coordinator to mask the defense's weaknesses’.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2019, 10:29 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: But he was a very successful defensive backs' coach and is known for his aggressive style, which aggression is the best way to mask a defense's weakness because you cause confusion and force mistakes.

A few other guys passed, but I think that's because of their egos (guys like Del Rio), so I'm pretty sure that, along with the other new positional coaches, they can put together a solid defense.

No one on here really knows how well the upcoming season is going to be,but I do really feel this new team is going to play very hard,to the whistle,and be in the hunt in every game. We are going to see a hungry team out to prove they are legit.Yes,with new coaches,alot of new players and all that I do believe the first season under ZT will be a learning one and I could see them winning 8- maybe 9 games.If with a little luck,maybe 10.It really depends on the health of the team and the coaches putting the RIGHT PLAYERS in the right positions to win games.Gotta be able to outcoach the enemy. I am excited to see this new team on sundays. I could see us splitting with our division and winning 6-7 games at home.That would be a 10 game winning season.Our defense HAS TO STOP PEOPLE,that will be the formula for winning this year. :andy: ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:15 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's a passing league, and, while he may not have been Taylor's first choice, he's qualified because he spent a bunch of years as a defensive backs' coach, with his defenses usually ranking in the top ten in interceptions.

He also likes to play his defensive backs up in the receivers' faces, which is great if we can get some pass rush (which it looks like we will) because it will force the offense into making mistakes.

All of our other qualified defensive position coaches will also make life a lot easier on him.

Will we? 

Or pass rush was pathetic last year.  Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals go after their opponents throats the same way the fans on these boards go after each other, AJ just might be right.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 03:24 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Will we? 

Or pass rush was pathetic last year.  Mellow

The defense as a whole looked pathetic last year. I think it was because they just quit on Lewis. I think that things will be better this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 03:15 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: The defense as a whole looked pathetic last year. I think it was because they just quit on Lewis. I think that things will be better this year.

On the contrary, the defense actually looked halfway competent once Marvin took over. The problem was Austin.

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:14 AM)XsandOs Wrote: I agree with you that Anarumo doesn't have enough body of work to make a judgement. But you can't argue to the negative either.

So it is a matter of opinion, at this point.

But I disagree with you and state that every DC who gets promoted to the position the first time, come with no DC experience. But it's important to consider that they do come up the ranks and have football defensive backgrounds.

So your QB analogy is not accurate. You don't get promoted to an NFL QB. Even a back up QB, is an NFL QB. A college QB is still a QB. There is no assistant QB.

So unless you have QB experience in college or backup QB experience in NFL, your chances of being a great NFL QB is near zero.

I feel like we're the only team in the NFL that would have hired Turner as O-Line Coach and Lou as DC.

And we're going to rely on them to fix our worst units.

Turner was on that list for political reasons in what he says though. Not for coaching ability.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 03:04 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: No one on here really knows how well the upcoming season is going to be,but I do really feel this new team is going to play very hard,to the whistle,and be in the hunt in every game. We are going to see a hungry team out to prove they are legit.Yes,with new coaches,alot of new players and all that I do believe the first season under ZT will be a learning one and I could see them winning 8- maybe 9 games.If with a little luck,maybe 10.It really depends on the health of the team and the coaches putting the RIGHT PLAYERS in the right positions to win games.Gotta be able to outcoach the enemy. I am excited to see this new team on sundays. I could see us splitting with our division and winning 6-7 games at home.That would be a 10 game winning season.Our defense HAS TO STOP PEOPLE,that will be the formula for winning this year. :andy: ThumbsUp

How is it 'a new team'?

It is largely the same team that was there last year with the addition of draft picks and some lower tier free agents.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 03:15 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: The defense as a whole looked pathetic last year. I think it was because they just quit on Lewis. I think that things will be better this year.

We had major issues at LB. The LB's gave up some 1800+ yards receiving which is insanely high.

How can your pass rush work when they can just dump the ball down to a back if there is pressure?
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 03:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: On the contrary, the defense actually looked halfway competent once Marvin took over. The problem was Austin.

I think it's hard to evaluate because we los Dalton and Green late in the year too and our offense couldn't move the ball. So teams didn't have to open their offenses up to beat us.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 12:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think it's hard to evaluate because we los Dalton and Green late in the year too and our offense couldn't move the ball. So teams didn't have to open their offenses up to beat us.

I dunno, they held SD in check, and we almost won that game.....and Pitt was playing for their playoff lives.  The defense was injured worse than the offense by that point.  Marvin got them to at least play competent football.....Austin's unit looked bad out of the gate with no injuries.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 12:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We had major issues at LB. The LB's gave up some 1800+ yards receiving which is insanely high.

How can your pass rush work when they can just dump the ball down to a back if there is pressure?

Considering by the end of the season we were playing Hardy Nickerson and Vinnie Rey at LB, I think it's pretty obvious teams were able to rack up a ton of yardage against them last season.

It's not a good positional group by any stretch of the imagination, but they weren't exactly running their first stringers out there for most of the year either. I'd be pretty shocked if there wasn't immediate improvement from that group solely for that reason alone.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:02 PM)BNSF Wrote: They gave up the most yards in the nfl and the most yards per game (obviously)

They were awful

Still waiting for your answer.  How does this dc make them better?

I don't know.  That book is still unwritten.

They were epically bad in the beginning and then not so bad at the end even with all the injured players.  They started as the worst but they didn't end up that way.

That means he is not starting at horrible.  Let's make that clear.

Haven't you ever had a feeling about a coach or a player?   What's the harm if Brad has a feeling about the guy and thinks he will get the defense back on track?  You have a feeling about him too.  It's just the opposite one.  If both are about something that hasn't happened yet, neither one can really be more valid than the other.

Reply/Quote
Seeing as every single thing he has posted has been negative I think we know what we have here - and usually we find this under bridges...
Reply/Quote