Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
AJ Green - Probably his last season as a Bengal
I hope the new regime can start to implement some forward thinking, strategic moves based around contracts and personel moving forward.

Cincinnati, as a Pro Sports City, has a long history of over paying veterans for past performance. Fans and the teams becoming enfranchised with long term players, to the point where they want the player to 'Write their own ending' - based on some misguided sense of loyalty.

The reality is the players, on the whole, have not contributed to much collective success. And the feeling that they are 'owed' anything is a bad way to run a sports team.

The Bengals have to make tough decisions. Even in the Trade Gio thread, there are posters saying 'I hope we keep him even though he is expensive, he is one of the good guys' - What does that even mean? If you want to put feelings and niceties above winning, then I guess that is how you want to operate.

AJ Green.

Going to miss the first 4 games this season.

That will put him at 21 missed games over their last 85 games.

And 11 of the teams last 20 games for 2018 and this season, respectively.

Is he the best WR to wear a Bengals uni ever? Yes, without a doubt. He is the most talented Bengal WR of all time.

Will he be 32 next year? Yes

The bengals need to get used to the idea that AJ will not be here next year. If he has a 12 game end of the season, and is fully healthy back from injury and does his typical 1000 yards, 8 TDs, 75 Grabs in 12 games - Fine, then consider a one year Franchise.

But that is the ONLY way I would have AJ on the team for 2020 - Extending him would be a big mistake at this point in his career. They need that money to go elsewhere, and paying a 31 YO, oft injured WR 40-60 million for 3 more years is the exact wrong way to stay competitive in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 05:03 PM)TopSix Wrote: Cincinnati, as a Pro Sports City, has a long history of over paying veterans for past performance.   Fans and the teams becoming enfranchised with long term players, to the point where they want the player to 'Write their own ending' -  based on some misguided sense of loyalty. 

Andrew Whitworth and Kevin Zeitler say "Hi".
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 05:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Andrew Whitworth and Kevin Zeitler say "Hi".

they are still performing at high levels and not declining,  while missing 50% of their prior seasons games. 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 05:10 PM)TopSix Wrote: they are still performing at high levels and not declining,  while missing 50% of their prior seasons games. 

Yes.  I know.  Just pointing out that Bengals don't always keep vets and pay them for past performance.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 05:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes.  I know.  Just pointing out that Bengals don't always keep vets and pay them for past performance.

Right, because they would have had to pay them for current perforce.   
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 05:15 PM)TopSix Wrote: Right, because they would have had to pay them for current perforce.   

Then I don't understand what you mean.

When have the Bengals paid a vet for past performance but not present performance?
Reply/Quote
This thread is getting sideways too early.

Let me step back and say that I also agree we should not extend Green unless he shows he is healthy this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then I don't understand what you mean.

When have the Bengals paid a vet for past performance but not present performance?

They paid Burfit for his past performance when it was clear he was declining 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 05:03 PM)TopSix Wrote: I hope the new regime can start to implement some forward thinking, strategic moves based around contracts and personel moving forward.

Cincinnati, as a Pro Sports City, has a long history of over paying veterans for past performance.   Fans and the teams becoming enfranchised with long term players, to the point where they want the player to 'Write their own ending' -  based on some misguided sense of loyalty.

The reality is the players, on the whole, have not contributed to much collective success.  And the feeling that they are 'owed' anything is a bad way to run a sports team.

The Bengals have to make tough decisions.  Even in the Trade Gio thread, there are posters saying 'I hope we keep him even though he is expensive, he is one of the good guys' - What does that even mean?  If you want to put feelings and niceties  above winning, then I guess that is how you want to operate.

AJ Green.

Is he the best WR to wear a Bengals uni ever?  Yes, without a doubt.    He is the most talented Bengal WR of all time.

Will he be 32 next year?  Yes

The bengals need to get used to the idea that AJ will not be here next year.  If he has a 12 game end of the season, and is fully healthy back from injury and does his typical 1000 yards, 8 TDs, 75 Grabs in 12 games - Fine, then consider a one year Franchise.

But that is the ONLY way I would have AJ on the team for 2020 - Extending him would be a big mistake at this point in his career. They need that money to go elsewhere, and paying a 31 YO,  oft injured WR 40-60 million for 3 more years is the exact wrong way to stay competitive in the NFL.

I was concerned when I read the title, but then I saw the poster and realized just more hate for our team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't sign AJ to a long term contract.  The reality is that he is becoming injured more often and it's risky to bank so much of the team's success on his health.  He's had the toe injury to the same foot twice, right?  He isn't getting any younger folks.  They're doing the same with Eifert.  You've got to play the odds I'm sure.

I love me some AJ, but I'm more excited when I see Boyd with the ball now.  Just my opinion.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 05:03 PM)TopSix Wrote: I hope the new regime can start to implement some forward thinking, strategic moves based around contracts and personel moving forward.

Cincinnati, as a Pro Sports City, has a long history of over paying veterans for past performance.   Fans and the teams becoming enfranchised with long term players, to the point where they want the player to 'Write their own ending' -  based on some misguided sense of loyalty.

The reality is the players, on the whole, have not contributed to much collective success.  And the feeling that they are 'owed' anything is a bad way to run a sports team.

The Bengals have to make tough decisions.  Even in the Trade Gio thread, there are posters saying 'I hope we keep him even though he is expensive, he is one of the good guys' - What does that even mean?  If you want to put feelings and niceties  above winning, then I guess that is how you want to operate.

AJ Green.

Is he the best WR to wear a Bengals uni ever?  Yes, without a doubt.    He is the most talented Bengal WR of all time.

Will he be 32 next year?  Yes

The bengals need to get used to the idea that AJ will not be here next year.  If he has a 12 game end of the season, and is fully healthy back from injury and does his typical 1000 yards, 8 TDs, 75 Grabs in 12 games - Fine, then consider a one year Franchise.

But that is the ONLY way I would have AJ on the team for 2020 - Extending him would be a big mistake at this point in his career. They need that money to go elsewhere, and paying a 31 YO,  oft injured WR 40-60 million for 3 more years is the exact wrong way to stay competitive in the NFL.

How come you say four games but the team says one or two?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 05:34 PM)TopSix Wrote: They paid Burfit for his past performance when it was clear he was declining 

Good point.

But that was the exception rather than the rule.
Reply/Quote
I think Green will get a new contract for the simple reason Ross hasn't panned out, if Ross would have performed like the 1st round pick they expected him to, Green would be more expendable.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 05:36 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I was concerned when I read the title, but then I saw the poster and realized just more hate for our team.

not sure where the troll came from... but hes definitely trying to hard.
Reply/Quote
I know it was before AJ got hurt but during an interview with Boyd just after he signed his new deal, Boyd mentioned that AJ was in negotiations to extend his deal.
This is what Boyd said "He was happy for me. The whole process he just kept asking me 'Bro, what's going on?' He was probably one of the few guys that I was keeping updates with,” Boyd said. “Because he's getting his contract fixed up as well. He was one of the first guys on the team that I sent it to, like 'Bro, it's done."

Aj will be here for a few more years
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 06:21 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: I know it was before AJ got hurt but during an interview with Boyd just after he signed his new deal, Boyd mentioned that AJ was in negotiations to extend his deal.
This is what Boyd said "He was happy for me. The whole process he just kept asking me 'Bro, what's going on?' He was probably one of the few guys that I was keeping updates with,” Boyd said. “Because he's getting his contract fixed up as well. He was one of the first guys on the team that I sent it to, like 'Bro, it's done."

Aj will be here for a few more years

I think so, too.

I'd also say that he likely already has more than enough money to retire comfortably, enjoy the rest of his life, and still have bundles to leave behind to his family.  However, I'm sure that he still has that competitive juice, and wants to be paid respectably for his abilities.  Taking into account that he's missed about 25% of the year for the past 5 years, I'd say that the management is trying to make him a respectable offer, with that in consideration.  So, assuming that AJ is still considered a top tier talent at his position, and the top tier guys are approaching $20M/per, I'd guess that the team might be offering him 75-80% of what the top contracts are getting.  Along with some escalators, of course.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 06:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think so, too.

I'd also say that he likely already has more than enough money to retire comfortably, enjoy the rest of his life, and still have bundles to leave behind to his family.  However, I'm sure that he still has that competitive juice, and wants to be paid respectably for his abilities.  Taking into account that he's missed about 25% of the year for the past 5 years, I'd say that the management is trying to make him a respectable offer, with that in consideration.  So, assuming that AJ is still considered a top tier talent at his position, and the top tier guys are approaching $20M/per, I'd guess that the team might be offering him 75-80% of what the top contracts are getting.  Along with some escalators, of course.

Yeah I totally agree, AJ has also said that he want to stay with the team for the rest of his career so I don't think he will be difficult to deal with. As long as the team are fair with him and don't try and low ball him because of his love for the team.
Reply/Quote
Roddy White is a great comp for AJ

Roddy had a way more productive prime, but after 8 seasons they were close.

Look at Roddys age 32-34 seasons. You won’t want to be paying 15 million for that

Green is trending down at an accelerated pace
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 07:09 PM)TopSix Wrote: Roddy White is a great comp for AJ

Why?

I choose Hines Ward.  He had a few 1000 yard seasons then had a 3 year stretch from age 29-31 where he never played a full season or had 1000 yard receiving.  Then he came back and had back-to-back 1000 yards seasons at age 32 and 33.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown openly expressed his desire to keep AJ Green a Bengal. Green will be offered an extension of some sort. I do not remember the stats but I believe the Bengals winning percentage is significantly increased with Green compared to games without Green on the field. Green is a freak athlete that when healthy is very difficult to cover by most CB. I agree his health is a concern and the cost may be high to keep Green. I am curious to see how Green plays this year and if he suffers any other injuries or set-backs.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote