Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
AJ Green Rumors
(03-14-2019, 11:51 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: A part of me thinks that fans and ownership need to take the people aspect out of it and treat the players more like stocks. AJ’s best days are behind him so now he will begin to be paid for what he’s done in the past. The timing to get a great trade return on him is now. Instead, he will stay a Bengal and get more money than what his gradually declining production will be worth. Knowing when to say goodbye is part of what makes a winning organization. It boils down to if you’re a bigger fan of the team or the individual player. Having said that, this ownership doesn’t do the other things needed to win so cashing in on that fan favorite player right before he declines may be pointless.

That's how most great franchises treat players. Think of New England and how they tend to move on from great players all the time based on age. That said, the Pats have prestige from multiple championships. If we did the same thing, I wonder if players would respect it as much. 

(03-14-2019, 11:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: That is what they did with Whit and they got crucified for it.

I realize Whit was still playing at a high level, but so is Green.  It is simple to make the right move every time when you have the benefit of hindsight.

True. I still think it was the right move. He was 36 for pete's sake. I don't think I've EVER seen a Tackle stay effective that long. Let alone 2-3 years beyond that. The Bengals made the correct call - in a vacuum - with Whit. Considering other factors like Ogbuehi's failures, I do think we could've considered the franchise tag, but I tend to side with the Bengals on this because of Whit's age.

Besides, it's not like we were winning games with Whit anyway.

People just saw Whit tagging along with the Rams and all their success and thought "that could be us". No...it couldn't. We didn't have McVay or that roster. Same thing happened with Jake Elliott. People saw him kicking in the Super Bowl and acted like Elliott kicked them there. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Well they'd be trading Green for assets in this scenario. They let Whitworth go for very little. Did we even get a Comp pick?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well they'd be trading Green for assets in this scenario. They let Whitworth go for very little. Did we even get a Comp pick?

I believe it was a 5th or 6th, but number of years in the league certainly plays a part in how high of a pick you can get. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well they'd be trading Green for assets in this scenario. They let Whitworth go for very little. Did we even get a Comp pick?

The theory of letting a vet go before he declines is more about spending the money on younger players than what you get in return.

You may not get a player or pick in return but you avoid having $13 million a year tied up in a guy who is not performing.
Reply/Quote

Correct, and more assets than a 3rd and 5th that was given for AB.
Green isn't demanding a trade or else I sit, so it's a totally different scenario.  So if anyone is interested in Green it's gonna have to be a deal that MB can't refuse.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
While I like AJ and think he's been arguably the best WR this team ever had trading him is dicey at best. Do you trade for picks? Picks are always the unknown. Do you trade for other players? Still the unknown since any player can get injured and never play again at any time ORRRRR.. Do you just keep him and live with the legacy of AJ retiring as a Bengal knowing that you'll have never known the unknowable? Oh the possibilities of not knowing! 
The problem of the notion of striking while the iron is hot is that all irons eventually cool down and end up in a recycling yard or just rust away.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
The draft is a crapshoot. Yes we got AJ Green in the first round. But we also got Ogbeuhi. No way I’d trade AJ for a first round pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Check out Marquez Flowers Twitter he started it
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
We just keep him and that's that. No reason to trade a top end wideout. This team isn't the stains who regularly jettison their best guys in hopes of getting some other best guys.

Does anyone actually expect a guy like Ross to fill those shoes? LMAO

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:51 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: A part of me thinks that fans and ownership need to take the people aspect out of it and treat the players more like stocks. AJ’s best days are behind him so now he will begin to be paid for what he’s done in the past. The timing to get a great trade return on him is now. Instead, he will stay a Bengal and get more money than what his gradually declining production will be worth. Knowing when to say goodbye is part of what makes a winning organization. It boils down to if you’re a bigger fan of the team or the individual player. Having said that, this ownership doesn’t do the other things needed to win so cashing in on that fan favorite player right before he declines may be pointless.

Yep. This is such a good post. You dont let emotions play into players when you invest in them. I love AJ but he is over the age curve and his best days are behind him. The team also doesn't seem close to winning. Now is an ideal time to offload him for some quality draft picks. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
So this thread is talking about how it’s time to move on from AJ. but there’s another thread slamming the Bengals for moving on from Whitworth. So which is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 05:00 PM)BengalChris Wrote: We just keep him and that's that. No reason to trade a top end wideout. This team isn't the stains who regularly jettison their best guys in hopes of getting some other best guys.

Does anyone actually expect a guy like Ross to fill those shoes?  LMAO

It's like some Bengals fans are determined to see the Bengals lose games. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Trade him for draft picks. We're all bound to enjoy seven, eight years and eight or ten failed to attempts to replace him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Rumors are everywhere this time of year. Trade, no trade, declining or not, more draft picks or less, what the Patriots do, what we do, etc....doesn't matter. Haven't proven we can make decisions to make a playoff winner, yet. Until we do that, all decisions have not really worked out. Drafting AJ was almost a slam dunk. Lucky with Dalton, because he is better than many drafted higher than him, drafts before and after that. Trades for great players? Nope. Knocked a draft out of the park? Nope. Even the status symbol of the first team Pro Bowl has been hard to find.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 05:07 PM)McC Wrote: Trade him for draft picks. We're all bound to enjoy seven, eight years and eight or ten failed to attempts to replace him.

If ever. We’ve been completely spoiled having Chad then AJ. Not every team has s truly elite #1WR.

That’s why there would be interest in AJ in the first place.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 10:56 AM)Wyche Wrote: If there is one guy on this roster that you make sure retires a Bengal, it's AJ Green.

Damn straight! 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:10 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Every time we talk about possibly trading Green I can't help but think ahead to how disappointed I'd be with the injured corner we'd take in the 1st round with the pick we got for him.

Sadly this is where I'm at too.   Sad
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:08 AM)Takedown Wrote: He's the most likely to make the HOF (probably won't if he retires here) out of any Bengal in a long time.

He'll still make the HOF even if he's in Cincy his whole career. He's not invisible on the national level, everyone knows what he can do. He'll get in. Might not be on the first ballot, but AJ'll be in the HOF barring any insidious off-field problems. Geno's got a pretty good chance too.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The theory of letting a vet go before he declines is more about spending the money on younger players than what you get in return.

You may not get a player or pick in return but you avoid having $13 million a year tied up in a guy who is not performing.

Seems like it would have been advantageous for the Bengals to trade Burfict, right before he fell off the cliff.  Now, they're just paying him for past success, and he's likely just hanging on for the pay.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
At this point I would trade AJ. Not because we will get what he’s worth to the team in value or what he is worth to us the fans. I would trade him because he deserves a chance to earn a ring. Let’s be realistic we won’t be competing for a championship in the next 3 years. He has been the perfect player, teammate and professional for this team and he although it kills me to think of him playing elsewhere he deserves and has earned a chance to get a ring. Set this man free and let him play to win a ring
Reply/Quote