Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
AJ Green Rumors
(03-14-2019, 11:02 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Ignoring sentimental reasons, if Jay Gruden offered us their 1st (1-15), and 3rd (3-32), I'd have to consider it.

I have to say, I looked at AJ's numbers...and I doubt he makes the HOF.

They are GREAT numbers, but not HOF worthy.

He's only went over 1078 yards 3 times in his career. Still a GREAT WR. And I don't want to minimize how good he is.

But, not HOF worthy most likely.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So I think IF the offer was overwhelming you consider it, but...

The way the Bengals have been drafting, giving them extra picks won't yield a player as good as Green. 

Maybe not now, but does it give them better players 2 years from now? What if we can only sign one of Green and Boyd next year?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So I think IF the offer was overwhelming you consider it, but...

The way the Bengals have been drafting, giving them extra picks won't yield a player as good as Green. 

Right, a bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush if you don't have a GM that can make the most of the picks you get from trading known commodities.  It's like selling your house and giving the cash to your cat and asking him to buy stocks for you...or something. 

(03-14-2019, 11:15 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Maybe not now, but does it give them better players 2 years from now? What if we can only sign one of Green and Boyd next year?

If we can't afford a 32 year old #1 WR and a #2 WR who isn't on a rookie deal or isn't a scrap-heap vet then I'd accuse the Bengals of not trying...but I'm pessimistic.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
he needs to retire a Bengal like Munoz Anderson Curtis Riley etc
Reply/Quote
here is what's going to happen we will use his last year on his contract green will go into FA and sign with a contender. We won't be a Superbowl team this year and we get nothing of value for the player. This is what makes us different than the best teams who know when to move on from a player and make nothing personal.

Megatron 2.0 and lions are still a shit team

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'd trade him for the right offer. We won't be competitive for the next 3-5 years. By the time we win again he'll be retired.

This isn't Chad we are talking about, and we traded him.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 10:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: ^Absolutely

Or do you try to build a better team. AJ for a 1st and 3rd rnd pick.....you do that in a heartbeat, if you are building for a Championship contender in a few years. As much as I love AJ, his window here is basically shut along with Andy’s. You start to build for the future now.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:24 AM)jj22 Wrote: I'd trade him for the right offer.  We won't be competitive for the next 3-5 years. By the time we win again he'll be retired.

This isn't Chad we are talking about, and we traded him.

It could be like the Chad situation if we are ignoring big offers for him only to move him for a low picks after the iron is no longer hot.  Unless things turn around here in a hurry I would seriously have to wonder if AJ Green is mentally sound if he refuses to play anywhere but in Cincy.  I get it, loyalty and all that, but geez...there is loyalty and then there is being a doormat.

But hey, he could be the AFC's Larry Fitzgerald I guess.
Reply/Quote
My problem with trading Green is that I don't believe the Bengals would get back anything close to what the fans expect. I'd highly doubt they would get a first for him. At best a second. So no, I wouldn't trade him
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:05 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is the kind of logic that make bad organizations bad. 

Most cases, yes.....but there are those guys that want to stay, and when said guys are superstars, and the face of your franchise, I think it should be taken into consideration.

That said, why stop with AJ?  If you're looking for draft capital, trade Atkins, Dunlap, maybe Boling, and Andy Dalton along with him.  That's the only way it makes sense to me.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It would take more than any team would be willing to give for me to be ok with trading him. And it’s not out of sentimentality. It’s out of how important he is to us on the field. We SUCK without him.

This too......

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:27 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Or do you try to build a better team. AJ for a 1st  and 3rd rnd pick.....you do that in a heartbeat, if you are building for a Championship contender in a few years. As much as I love AJ, his window here is basically shut along with Andy’s. You start to  build for the future now.

Hmm, I don't know.  As someone else mentioned, if your breakin' up the band, then you move all the valuable pieces.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:43 AM)MentalRage Wrote: My problem with trading Green is that I don't believe the Bengals would get back anything close to what the fans expect. I'd highly doubt they would get a first for him. At best a second. So no, I wouldn't trade him

It depends on when they'd trade him.  Mike Brown can't lose his job, so I could see him right now saying he won't part for Green for less than two 1st round picks at least.  He's more likely to ask for too much...remember, this is a guy who wouldn't take a 2nd for AJ McCarron.

Basically, even if Washington is offering a great pick for Green I can see Mike Brown just saying "Nahh" because what's the point?  It's not like he's making deals to save his job.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:43 AM)Wyche Wrote: Most cases, yes.....but there are those guys that want to stay, and when said guys are superstars, and the face of your franchise, I think it should be taken into consideration.

That said, why stop with AJ?  If you're looking for draft capital, trade Atkins, Dunlap, maybe Boling, and Andy Dalton along with him.  That's the only way it makes sense to me.

I agree with anyone should be on the trade block if it makes sense for the team.  Green is a professional and I don't see him taking it personally because he understands its best for both sides.  I personally would prefer to see Green with a ring and come back for a day at the end of his career to retire a Bengal. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
A part of me thinks that fans and ownership need to take the people aspect out of it and treat the players more like stocks. AJ’s best days are behind him so now he will begin to be paid for what he’s done in the past. The timing to get a great trade return on him is now. Instead, he will stay a Bengal and get more money than what his gradually declining production will be worth. Knowing when to say goodbye is part of what makes a winning organization. It boils down to if you’re a bigger fan of the team or the individual player. Having said that, this ownership doesn’t do the other things needed to win so cashing in on that fan favorite player right before he declines may be pointless.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:50 AM)Okeana Wrote: I agree with anyone should be on the trade block if it makes sense for the team.  Green is a professional and I don't see him taking it personally because he understands its best for both sides.  I personally would prefer to see Green with a ring and come back for a day at the end of his career to retire a Bengal. 

I could live with that too.  If the offer is ridiculous, by all means pull the trigger, but I don't think it would be.  

Also, if you DO move Green, move the other valuable pieces along with him.  JUST trading AJ Green won't net you enough to turn things around alone.  

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:23 AM)Okeana Wrote:   This is what makes us different than the best teams who know when to move on from a player and make nothing personal.  

That is what they did with Whit and they got crucified for it.

I realize Whit was still playing at a high level, but so is Green.  It is simple to make the right move every time when you have the benefit of hindsight.
Reply/Quote
I’d need a 1st and 2nd this year, plus something like a 2nd next year or a decent young-ish player

And then I’m looking at a fire sale
Reply/Quote
Issue is AJ wouldnt be worth enough to trade him.

AJ is 31 coming off an injury going into the last year of his deal so he would need to be extended with a huge signing bonus. Look at Antonio Brown the Steelers were only able to get a 3rd and 5th. I get the headcase arguement but the Bengals would still be hard pressed to get much more than a 2nd.

Now Geno Atkins on the other hand has a brand new deal reasonable with the Bonus already paid...You could probably get a late first for him.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Winning teams have no problem trading or letting players walk. Why is AJ Green untouchable?

Give us the right deal, I think top 15 pick and a 4th round pick, I trade him in a heartbeat. The reality is his injuries have prevented him from being great. For the most parts, he has disappeared in big games.

I love AJ, I have his jersey, but he makes a lot of money for a guy playing 10 to 12 games a year. But, I would not give him away either.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote