Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
AJ Green Rumors
I had heard rumors that the Bills were poking around about Green before going after Brown - no idea if it was accurate. The sensibility of dealing Green may come down to whether or not this coaching staff and this roster can hit the ground running. If they start the season hot? Try to win now. If it's clear before the trade deadline that winning now just isn't going to happen? Probably lean toward a firesale. And for the record I really like all of the current core guys, I'm just thinking out loud about what may be proper long term strategy for the team. 
Reply/Quote
If we got the return the Browns did for OBJ I would trade AJ in a heartbeat...
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 10:51 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: It's probably a giant spray fart, but there is buzz on the twitterverse that the Redskins are trying to make a trade for AJ Green.

Given his age, recent injury problems, and Boyd's contract being up after this year, how much would it take for you to be ok with trading arguably our franchises greater player?

A while back the rumors were that Dan Snyder wanted to grant two first round picks for Chad OchoCinco.  We should have taken that trade.  If the Bengals are offered two first rounders for AJ Green, I would take the trade.  It is nothing against AJ, but I would rather spread around the money that will be spent on Green on some rookie contracts and improve the OVERALL talent on the team.  

I find myself quite envious of teams like Buffalo and Oakland that have their QBs (At least I think they do) and have two first rounders this year.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I bet a Redskins fan a case of beer over this. He is convinced AJ is going to Washington. No way isn't going to happen.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 08:32 AM)corpjet Wrote: If we got the return the Browns did for OBJ I would trade AJ in a heartbeat...

AJ has one year left and OBJ had 5. We wouldn't get close to what they got.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 09:51 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: AJ has one year left and OBJ had 5. We wouldn't get close to what they got.

It'll be interesting to see how each team does, the Giants were in the pit with OBJ and Saquon Barkley. We are in the same spot. Mixon and AJ. THe Giants are gambling the best WR in the league and they have a bad OLine....  let's see who gets a winning season first, them or us.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The way the Bengals have been drafting, giving them extra picks won't yield a player as good as Green. 

But it would give MB 13mil/year back into his pockets. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:24 AM)jj22 Wrote: I'd trade him for the right offer.  We won't be competitive for the next 3-5 years. By the time we win again he'll be retired.

This isn't Chad we are talking about, and we traded him.

I am not trying to be a prique, but not competitive?  For the next 3-5 years?  Dalton was having an amazing season (again) before his weapons started going down...and this, with an offensive line that had FOUR new starters.  The offensive scheme was boring and predictable, but they have Mixon, Green, Boyd, Ross (who I am hoping will be a much bigger part of the offense this year), Eifert (maybe), Uzo, Gio, and the most unappreciated QB on the planet, Dalton (think about this:  I think Dalton gets around 17 million per year and Kirk Cousins is getting over 30).

The defense sucked but they DID show signs of life, even with practice squad should-be's at LB, once they finally pulled their heads out of their collective arses and played more man coverage.  The draft could provide some real quality additions at DT and LB, as well as a guys like Lawson, Willis, Billings, and Hubbard with another year under their belt.  

More than anything, I am hoping and praying (young doesn't necessarily mean aggressive) that they will FINALLY lose their stupid "play not to lose" mentality that demotivates the players and only prevents winning with an almost all-new coaching staff.

Address the LB corps, add some talent at DT, get more quality depth on offense, and watch this team surprise.  I am so much more optimistic today than I would be with Marv at the helm.  We could never upshift to the next gear with him.  
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 09:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: A while back the rumors were that Dan Snyder wanted to grant two first round picks for Chad OchoCinco.  We should have taken that trade.  If the Bengals are offered two first rounders for AJ Green, I would take the trade.  It is nothing against AJ, but I would rather spread around the money that will be spent on Green on some rookie contracts and improve the OVERALL talent on the team.  

I find myself quite envious of teams like Buffalo and Oakland that have their QBs (At least I think they do) and have two first rounders this year.  

I still get a nervous twitch when I think about the Bengals passing on that OchoCinco trade and the New Orleans/Ricky Williams/Akili Smith non-trade. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:57 AM)Synric Wrote: Issue is AJ wouldnt be worth enough to trade him.

AJ is 31 coming off an injury going into the last year of his deal so he would need to be extended with a huge signing bonus. Look at Antonio Brown the Steelers were only able to get a 3rd and 5th. I get the headcase arguement but the Bengals would still be hard pressed to get much more than a 2nd.

Now Geno Atkins on the other hand has a brand new deal reasonable with the Bonus already paid...You could probably get a late first for him.

And now I want to trade him for two first rounders even more...to piss off that team to the east.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 12:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: dude you take away green and boyd starts getting shadow'd by #1 CBs..... its gonna be a very long year.

Ill be more inclind to think of these trade scenario when Ross sets the league on fire.

What if the new coaching staff believes that it was Marv and Co holding back his opportunities?  Maybe they scanned every clip and saw him open but Dalton wouldn't look his way?  I would be surprised, but if the offer for Green was ridiculous I would think they have to consider it....like they should have with Chad years ago. 

I also wonder if Malone and Core don't become more integral parts of this offense since they are bigger, stronger blockers?  
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 09:56 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: It'll be interesting to see how each team does, the Giants were in the pit with OBJ and Saquon Barkley. We are in the same spot. Mixon and AJ. THe Giants are gambling the best WR in the league and they have a bad OLine....  let's see who gets a winning season first, them or us.

I am against this. You have to go out of your way to support your first year HC. They did this for Freddie, McVay and Pederson. Let's give him what he needs to compete this year and see what we have next. I honestly think next year is the year they start making those sort of decisions, not this year. Why i've been a little upset with the "same ol" approach, but i'm still going to be patient and see what happens.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The theory of letting a vet go before he declines is more about spending the money on younger players than what you get in return.

You may not get a player or pick in return but you avoid having $13 million a year tied up in a guy who is not performing.

This is a big part of the equation.  Even though I have been saying "hell, yes" if they offered something ridiculous like two first rounders, I see AJ as the kind of guy that takes care of his body and won't diminish like some that are not as focused on their self-care.  He has never been the phone-booth quick guy, but more of a long strider that can cut well at speed.  He also has some of the most amazing body control in the air I have ever seen.

I am far from a cap-ologist, but it seems like the number must be climbing significantly over the next few years based on what we see this FA signing period.  That is only going to make high draft picks that much more valuable.  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 05:05 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: So this thread is talking about how it’s time to move on from AJ. but there’s another thread slamming the Bengals for moving on from Whitworth. So which is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big difference in age (30 vs 36) and the duration of the contract the Rams gave Whit is somewhat ridiculous.  Plus, we are talking about getting a King's ransom (that's what it would take for me, and Snyder is just the wannabe guy that needs attention to do it) vs. a stupid compensatory pick is a big difference.  

That's the only way we "move on" from AJ....if they got an unbelievable deal.  
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 10:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: What if the new coaching staff believes that it was Marv and Co holding back his opportunities?  Maybe they scanned every clip and saw him open but Dalton wouldn't look his way?  I would be surprised, but if the offer for Green was ridiculous I would think they have to consider it....like they should have with Chad years ago. 

I also wonder if Malone and Core don't become more integral parts of this offense since they are bigger, stronger blockers?  

if its a cant refuse trade then sure go for it... lol  but

I don't think AJ being out of the picture helps this team in any way other than Dalton being forced to look at other options
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 08:32 AM)corpjet Wrote: If we got the return the Browns did for OBJ I would trade AJ in a heartbeat...

You mean the Giants got in return from the Browns, but absolutely yes...OBJ is younger and more talented.  That's the only reason I said yes, was if it was a huge ransom.  I love AJ but there is a selling price for everyone.  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:15 AM)impactplaya Wrote: he needs to retire a Bengal like Munoz Anderson Curtis Riley etc

Thirty years ago teams had almost total control of their players. While these players were paid well I doubt very strongly that the Bengals could have possibly prevailed in a bidding war for the best LT in the history of the NFL. Todays NFL makes it tougher to hold on to your core players without totally ignoring the rest of your team. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 10:03 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I still get a nervous twitch when I think about the Bengals passing on that OchoCinco trade and the New Orleans/Ricky Williams/Akili Smith non-trade. 

At least the idiot GMs who blew those deals got canned. 
Reply/Quote