Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
AJ Green Signing Deadline
I think the Bengals did the right thing. No way we could give AJ a multi-year deal worth upwards of $14-$15 a year. He hasn't played in a year and a half.

AJ is getting a bit of a bump, making $17 mil this year. If he plays well, we can either sign him or tag him again. Lot of uncertainty with the cap going forward. I am OK with keeping our powder dry until we see him actually play.

FWIW, Henry signed for 4/$50 today, no way Mixon should get that much.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 12:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am a huge AJ fan. He was not only a great player but also a first class person.

But it would have been crazy to give him a long term deal with more than $18 million guaranteed.
Are you basing this on the unknown cap number (and potential for a significant drop in cap space) or just AJs age and health?
I certainly would have offered him a three-year deal.  I would hate to lose him after next year if he does what I believe he can this fall.  Add in the fact that the club already declined Ross's fifth year (smart) and the very real possibility that he goes elsewhere no matter how well he performs, and you could be looking for two new outside receivers.  Even if Higgins produces, that is still not a situation I would like to be dealing with when this year it appears as such a position of strength.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2020, 09:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Are you basing this on the unknown cap number (and potential for a significant drop in cap space) or just AJs age and health?

Age and health.  Most WRs decline at age 32 even if they don't have major injury issues, and Grren has one catch in the last one-and-a-half years.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 09:42 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think the Bengals did the right thing. No way we could give AJ a multi-year deal worth upwards of $14-$15 a year. He hasn't played in a year and a half.

AJ is getting a bit of a bump, making $17 mil this year. If he plays well, we can either sign him or tag him again. Lot of uncertainty with the cap going forward. I am OK with keeping our powder dry until we see him actually play.

FWIW, Henry signed for 4/$50 today, no way Mixon should get that much.

I think AJ for $14-$15 mil a year would be a steal.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2020, 10:44 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I think AJ for $14-$15 mil a year would be a steal.

That is what I hope is true.

That is what everyone hopes is true.  There really aren't any Green "haters".  He is one of those players that pretty much everyone likes and respects.

But there is no logical reason to believe that a 32 year old WR who has missed a year and a half with injury is goiung to return and play 3 years at a level deserving $15 million a year.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2020, 10:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Age and health.  Most WRs decline at age 32 even if they don't have major injury issues, and Grren has one catch in the last one-and-a-half years.

I get it, but I look at the Jerry Rice and Tim Brown-types that performed pretty well in to their 30s and I think the new offense and better QB play could help Green really extend his career and keep him in the top 10 discussion.  That's me, though...the eternal optimist. 

My fear is Green and Mixon both blow it up and right when the Bengals are primed, they lose them both.  I also believe that the Bengals really want Green to retire a Bengal and will make every effort to sign him after a strong season.  I just hope Green wants to stay here and sees Burrow as an opportunity to win a ring.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Florio is such a tool expecting us to rescind tag and let AJ walk for nothing.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2020, 01:20 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Florio is such a tool expecting us to rescind tag and let AJ walk for nothing.

That is what the Stooler fan in him hopes. Just like he hoped Burrow would not play for us...

Too bad for him, AJ will be here this season along with Burrow and I hope they take the league by storm and we extend AJ.
Reply/Quote