Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green Value Per Spotrac
I was shocked to see his value and length of contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/aj-green-7719/market-value/

2 years less than 20 million or 9+ million a year.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Personally I don't think anyone is worth 9 million bucks much less football players..
You know what I think anyone making that kind of money should be required to do before getting paid?  They should have to run into a burning building and rescue several children first..  No kids saved in a burning building? You make minimum wage.. No exceptions. Not enough buildings on fire with kids in them? Tough luck.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
He hasn't played in 1 1/2 years that has to be taken into consideration

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
At this point in time - seems about right. Green has too many question marks. Very risky

Again, at this point in time.

Reply/Quote
An ankle sprain cannot scare me away from AJ Green. Give him his 18 mil 4 year deal....AND double down late day 2 day 3 receivers.

The Bengals have no options at receiver right now its ugly.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
IMO, no one will sign AJ for more than a 1 year "prove it" deal.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
tag em, sign later if he plays a year
Reply/Quote
That would put him barely above Quincy Enuwa and Adam Humphries in yearly value.

I'm going to feel safe in betting that AJ gets more than $9.1/yr. It might be for just 1 year, but it'll be more. Maybe incentive-laden based off of games active.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2019, 07:35 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: tag em, sign later if he plays a year
Agreed! Tag him. Don't let him just walk away from this team...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Tag him for 18 million for one year when he already said he would not do training camp if tagged??

I say offer him 3 year 45 million deal with 25 million guaranteed

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2019, 08:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That would put him barely above Quincy Enuwa and Adam Humphries in yearly value.

I'm going to feel safe in betting that AJ gets more than $9.1/yr. It might be for just 1 year, but it'll be more. Maybe incentive-laden based off of games .

People on the board generally view AJ like he produced on his rookie contract. He hast been that guy for 4 years.

Could he play 13+ games next year? Sure - but there's elevated risk to betting on that.
Reply/Quote
I doubt Kirkpatrick falls on AJs ankle 2 years in a row.

...knock on wood.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2019, 08:20 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Tag him for 18 million for one year when he already said he would not do training camp if tagged??

I say offer him 3 year 45 million deal with 25 million guaranteed

There's just no way.

Four years ago, the Bengals made AJ the highest paid WR in the league.  He has missed 28 of 63 games since.  It will be 29 of 64 if he doesn't play next week.  

On top of that, after already being paid $89 million by the team, he's going skip OTA's if he has to play under the $18 mil FT.  He claims this is a business decision because he needs to protect himself against injury risk so he can secure another big multi-year deal when he didn't live up to the last big multi-year deal he got.  I frankly wouldn't want a guy like that around if it was my team. 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2019, 08:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That would put him barely above Quincy Enuwa and Adam Humphries in yearly value.

I'm going to feel safe in betting that AJ gets more than $9.1/yr. It might be for just 1 year, but it'll be more. Maybe incentive-laden based off of games active.

How many games have those guys missed the last four years?  

Larry Fitzgerald goes year to year on one year $10-11 mil deals and has nowhere near the injury issues AJ does.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2019, 06:26 PM)Synric Wrote: An ankle sprain cannot scare me away from AJ Green. Give him his 18 mil 4 year deal....AND double down late day 2 day 3 receivers.

The Bengals have no options at receiver right now its ugly.

I agree he lost value, but 4,5 million a year is 50% of what Spotrac has him

Reply/Quote
People that think that Sportrac is off base with their market value of AJ Green, are just plain biased. Look at the past two years. The team has basically paid him $30M to play about half a season.

If the projected market value is around $9.2M, then if the Bengals offered him 2 years for $22M total, they would be doing him a huge favor. I don't think that the rest of the league views him the same way that fans who have loved him since he was a rookie view him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2019, 08:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People on the board generally view AJ like he produced on his rookie contract. He hast been that guy for 4 years.

Could he play 13+ games next year? Sure - but there's elevated risk to betting on that.

And that risk isn't elevated if he signs a contract that pays him something along the lines of....  
Base Salary of $4m
$250k per game active
$500k more per game if he starts.
$1m for Pro Bowl
$1m for All-Pro

He plays 0 games, he gets $4m. Makes 16 starts, gets $16m. If he's Pro Bowl and All-Pro, $18m.

He's been hurt for quite awhile now (but lets be honest, we all know he would have been playing this year if the Bengals weren't awful and he was in FA year), but he still has #1 WR potential. A team will pay him based on that, but hedge their potential losses with incentives like I listed. If he never gets healthy, a contract with all those incentives means no real dead money to speak of to get out of it.

(Also keep in mind the Bengals have had the worst OC in the league the last 4 years.)

(12-22-2019, 08:51 PM)Whatever Wrote: How many games have those guys missed the last four years?  

Larry Fitzgerald goes year to year on one year $10-11 mil deals and has nowhere near the injury issues AJ does.

Larry Fitzgerald specifically wants to stay in Arizona. So his market for FA is exactly 1 team out of 32. 
AJ is going to a market where presumably all 32 teams are on the table.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2019, 08:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: There's just no way.

Four years ago, the Bengals made AJ the highest paid WR in the league.  He has missed 28 of 63 games since.  It will be 29 of 64 if he doesn't play next week.  

On top of that, after already being paid $89 million by the team, he's going skip OTA's if he has to play under the $18 mil FT.  He claims this is a business decision because he needs to protect himself against injury risk so he can secure another big multi-year deal when he didn't live up to the last big multi-year deal he got.  I frankly wouldn't want a guy like that around if it was my team. 

I have been tough on AJ's availability also. But, what does the market command? I think 9 million a year for 2 years is too low. Someone will pay him more, but I don't want to pay him (tag) 18 million for a year either.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2019, 10:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And that risk isn't elevated if he signs a contract that pays him something along the lines of....  
Base Salary of $4m
$250k per game active
$500k more per game if he starts.
$1m for Pro Bowl
$1m for All-Pro

He plays 0 games, he gets $4m. Makes 16 starts, gets $16m. If he's Pro Bowl and All-Pro, $18m.

He's been hurt for quite awhile now (but lets be honest, we all know he would have been playing this year if the Bengals weren't awful and he was in FA year), but he still has #1 WR potential. A team will pay him based on that, but hedge their potential losses with incentives like I listed. If he never gets healthy, a contract with all those incentives means no real dead money to speak of to get out of it.

(Also keep in mind the Bengals have had the worst OC in the league the last 4 years.)

Larry Fitzgerald specifically wants to stay in Arizona. So his market for FA is exactly 1 team out of 32. 
AJ is going to a market where presumably all 32 teams are on the table.

You are dreaming, if I am AJ's agent, I could get more than 2 times that contract without incentives

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2019, 10:06 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You are dreaming, if I am AJ's agent, I could get more than 2 times that contract without incentives

If you're AJ Green, an elite athlete who has spent most of his life being great at what he does, do you think he settles for $9m/yr or does he bet on himself to do what he knows he is capable of doing for up to twice that amount per year?

Why in the world would AJ accept a 2yr/$18m deal if he isn't willing to play under a 1yr franchise tag that this year was worth $16.8m? He's obviously betting on himself.

Reply/Quote