Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green.... When?
He will be 31 and he’s been banged up a bit. He’s still a great talent but age and injury will slow him down sooner or later and his contract is about up too. What should the Bengals do? The fans here cry about winning but are overly sentimental with great players and don’t usually endorse the most savvy business moves if it involves losing anyone of talent. There is a peak time to trade AJ, when is that time? Should the team fork out the big bucks or cash in at some point for draft picks? Do you pay AJ and let him retire here? Do you not worry about cashing in for younger guys? What would you do? Is it the same thing a championship team would do?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 05:51 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: He will be 31 and he’s been banged up a bit. He’s still a great talent but age and injury will slow him down sooner or later and his contract is about up too. What should the Bengals do? The fans here cry about winning but are overly sentimental with great players and don’t usually endorse the most savvy business moves if it involves losing anyone of talent. There is a peak time to trade AJ, when is that time? Should the team fork out the big bucks or cash in at some point for draft picks? Do you pay AJ and let him retire here? Do you not worry about cashing in for younger guys? What would you do? Is it the same thing a championship team would do?

Everything right now just depends on what they decide to do with a new head coach... Do you try and retool with what we have and push forward then no you extend AJ and keep going.

If they plan to burn everything down and rebuild sure.

Or else youll have a ton of people whining about it here like they do with Whit.  (even though at the time that was one of those business moves they had to make)
Reply/Quote
If they hit on Ross woulda been a lot easier to move on from AJ even though they are two diff type of WRs. I wish we would’ve gotten Michael Thomas but hindsight is hindsight
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 05:54 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Everything right now just depends on what they decide to do with a new head coach... Do you try and retool with what we have and push forward then no you extend AJ and keep going.

Or else youll have a ton of people whining about it here like they do with Whit.  (even though at the time that was one of those business moves they had to make)

That’s what I’m trying to figure out, their direction. Geno and Dunlap are about the same age as AJ and already extended. Should they put all of their eggs(best players) in the same basket?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 06:06 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: If they hit on Ross woulda been a lot easier to move on from AJ even though they are two diff type of WRs. I wish we would’ve gotten Michael Thomas but hindsight is hindsight

Very good point. The funny thing is that they use Ross more as a Possession Receiver than to stretch the field.
Reply/Quote
I love everything about green but i dont believe in putting a lot of money in the wr position.

Doesnt he have at least 2 more years on his deal.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 06:06 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: That’s what I’m trying to figure out, their direction. Geno and Dunlap are about the same age as AJ and already extended. Should they put all of their eggs(best players) in the same basket?

if we had to choose right now between keeping green and boyd  id take boyd just cause he has more years left on his body.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 05:54 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Everything right now just depends on what they decide to do with a new head coach... Do you try and retool with what we have and push forward then no you extend AJ and keep going.

^This^

So much depends on who the new HC is and what's the plan ? I wouldn't say anything or anybody is off the table but they need to dive in deep and figure out what they're going to do.

To your 2nd part about Whit they again needed a much better plan than Og and Fisher. They already had good insight into what they were and rolled the dice on a hope and a prayer. That's why everybody was upset.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 06:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I love everything about green but i dont believe in putting a lot of money in the wr position.

Doesnt he have at least 2 more years on his deal.

Says here, https://overthecap.com/player/a-j-green/156/  that this is the last year of AJ's contract.  If they chose to deal him, it would cost $3M in dead money, and save over $12M in cap space.

That $12+M saved could easily afford shoring up the OL or LB position, plus bring in a quality starter at WR.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Depends on the value and what you can get from him. If it's merely a third or fourth then no. If it's a high Second or first maybe and if it's first +3rd then I would highly consider.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

No it wasn't 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 07:07 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: No it wasn't 

Thank you!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Keep him
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 06:38 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if we had to choose right now between keeping green and boyd  id take boyd just cause he has more years left on his body.

True, he also cost a lot less.
Reply/Quote
It would suck losing a guy like aj green. I dont have any idea what he would want as far as contract or money but i dont see his production dropping off that much over the next few years.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 06:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Says here, https://overthecap.com/player/a-j-green/156/  that this is the last year of AJ's contract.  If they chose to deal him, it would cost $3M in dead money, and save over $12M in cap space.

That $12+M saved could easily afford shoring up the OL or LB position, plus bring in a quality starter at WR.

To me, this is a prime example of what’s best for the team vs. keeping a fan favorite. Maybe they can sign him and trade him in a couple of years but he will be 33 and on a high dollar, long term contract then.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 07:20 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: It would suck losing a guy like aj green. I dont have any idea what he would want as far as contract or money but i dont see his production dropping off that much over the next few years.

I agree that it would suck losing him now but if he is kept too long then you’re stuck with his contract or getting very little in return. He is probably at the tail end of his prime now. There should be a noticeable difference in 2-3 years. Maybe they should try to negotiate a deal now but AJ won’t be AJ at age 35-36.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 07:23 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: To me, this is a prime example of what’s best for the team vs. keeping a fan favorite. Maybe they can sign him and trade him in a couple of years but he will be 33 and on a high dollar, long term contract then.

I know that it's all speculation on our parts, but if they were to move AJ and Burfict, they would have to eat about 5M (combined) in dead money, but the money freed up would be over $19M.

$19M would go a long, long way to making this team strong again, if invested in OL and LBs, and an "insurance" WR.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Call me crazy but I want to see AJ retire a Bengal, cap be damned.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I want AJ, Dunlap and Geno to retire in stripes personally.
Reply/Quote