Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green.... When?
(01-04-2019, 07:30 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I agree that it would suck losing him now but if he is kept too long then you’re stuck with his contract or getting very little in return. He is probably at the tail end of his prime now. There should be a noticeable difference in 2-3 years. Maybe they should try to negotiate a deal now but AJ won’t be AJ at age 35-36.

Maybe i am just hoping this year was an anomaly. Every player gets injured at some point. If he has another 1k yard season next year i got to believe you keep him. Maybe restructure his contract? Also dont think he will want a 5 year contract either. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 07:41 PM)McC Wrote: Call me crazy but I want to see AJ retire a Bengal, cap be damned.

Me2
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 07:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I know that it's all speculation on our parts, but if they were to move AJ and Burfict, they would have to eat about 5M (combined) in dead money, but the money freed up would be over $19M.

$19M would go a long, long way to making this team strong again, if invested in OL and LBs, and an "insurance" WR.

I’d love to see a shift in philosophy to invest heavy in OLine and the Run Game.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 08:19 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’d personally like to see them invest hard at OLine and make this a Run First team.

Being able to run is great, and a necessity, but your passing game must also strike fear into a defense.  If a team is one dimensional, it's much too easy to load up the box to stop the run, or rush the passer.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 08:10 PM)Seaneh Wrote: I want AJ, Dunlap and Geno to retire in stripes personally.

Most of us do but the question is, is this smart or emotional? Is it a winning formula? If it’s not then don’t expect to win.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 08:14 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Maybe i am just hoping this year was an anomaly. Every player gets injured at some point. If he has another 1k yard season next year i got to believe you keep him. Maybe restructure his contract? Also dont think he will want a 5 year contract either. 

I think that they will keep him and decide at the end of the year what to do. He’s a great player and a great dude. I’d love to see a reasonable deal get done but who knows.
Reply/Quote
When AJ stops producing at a high level we can talk about moving on...until then let's heed the lesson of Andrew Whitworth and be happy AJ Green is still in stripes.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 07:41 PM)McC Wrote: Call me crazy but I want to see AJ retire a Bengal, cap be damned.

This.

It’s not even about being overly sentimental or whatever either. AJ is still the best player on the team, and I think he has a handful of really good years left. He’s also expressed his desire to actually want to stay here and help us win.

Just like I said about Geno, no way in hell I’d trade AJ for picks. It would have to be another elite player(s).

Reply/Quote
I’ve said it in other threads so I’m just repeating myself but I don’t think trading aj is such an odd idea.

However a recent development has changed how I feel about it.

Amari cooper went for a lot more than people expected and even though aj has a more substantial resume he’s older and has had a few injuries last few seasons. Dallas was desperate to replace X but who else needs a receiver bad? Maybe the pats but theyer stingier and aren’t going to give up that much plus their draft spot will probably suck.

The recent development I referred to is Antonio brown. He’s going to fetch more it trade and makes aj a consolation prize. So now not only do you need someone desperate for a receiver but you need a second team desperate. Who is that team?

So I’m not opposed to trading him and freeing up some cap space but who are we trading with and what will we get? I think our expectations exceed reality sometimes. I thought people were nuts thinking macaroni was worth a 1st rounder and the market agreed. Obviously green is a more proven and valuable commodity but we need to be realistic.
Reply/Quote
I want to see Green and Dalton under a good coaching staff. If that doesn't happen i don't really care.

This actually goes for the entire team but the thread is about Green.

Reply/Quote
I just want to see one year where a non-ML head coach has the chance to pilot a team with Green and Atkins. Those two are still commanding double teams.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 09:37 PM)motoarch Wrote: I’ve said it in other threads so I’m just repeating myself but I don’t think trading aj is such an odd idea.  

However a recent development has changed how I feel about it.

Amari cooper went for a lot more than people expected and even though aj has a more substantial resume he’s older and has had a few injuries last few seasons.  Dallas was desperate to replace X but who else needs a receiver bad?  Maybe the pats but theyer stingier and aren’t going to give up that much plus their draft spot will probably suck.  

The recent development I referred to is Antonio brown.  He’s going to fetch more it trade and makes aj a consolation prize.  So now not only do you need someone desperate for a receiver but you need a second team desperate.  Who is that team?

So I’m not opposed to trading him and freeing up some cap space but who are we trading with and what will we get?  I think our expectations exceed reality sometimes.  I thought people were nuts thinking macaroni was worth a 1st rounder and the market agreed.  Obviously green is a more proven and valuable commodity but we need to be realistic.

In all honesty though what team is going to want Brown who has more ego and more years on his contract over AJ. also teams that could use AJ- Pats,  Packers, Rams,  Seahawks, 49ers, Oakland just to name a view. I think AJ would garner huge interest around the NFL.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I only consider trading AJ if we are going into full rebuilding mode. And as a fan I hope that's not the case. Our offense stutters without Eifert, and is crippled without AJ.
The only free agent WR who might have a chance to replace AJ's stats is Golden Tate who is also 30 and probably will command $10-11 million per year as a replacement. Is $4-5 million a year worth it?
There are some talented WRs in the draft this year, but none who have the notoriety AJ had coming out. There isn't even a consensus WR worth a top 10 pick right now. If the plan is to get weaker at WR to get stronger at another position, then we still need to get 2 more contributing WRs, because Boyd is the only viable receiving option. And 2 mid level WRs might create enough open targets for the QB.
In the end, getting rid of AJ seems to create more headaches than it solves. It makes more sense to cut Burfict and Dre and Nickerson and use that $14.2 million next year (and just over $21 million in 2020) to shore the line and LBs next year. Those cuts would let us keep our all pro and still have $68+ million to spend
Reply/Quote
With green and Andy you have to wait and see, like others have said, you have to see what the new coach wants to do. If in fact he gives hue the head job, just put the last 15 years on repeat as it won’t get any better. Mikey wouldn’t give a dollar to a panhandler, but to see a multimillion dollar failure head coach out of a job would break his heart and send him over the edge. I’m praying that nobody from this nightmare of a staff is retained starting with hue Jackson. The browns won more games this yr than he did as a coach in 3. The formula doesn’t work and every stop hue has been in he’s failed. I’m sick of being the bungles
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 09:56 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: In all honesty though what team is going to want Brown who has more ego and more years on his contract over AJ. also teams that could use AJ- Pats,  Packers, Rams,  Seahawks, 49ers, Oakland just to name a view. I think AJ would garner huge interest around the NFL.

Packers and 49ers are a good call. Not as sure about the others. Rams are going to have too many mouths to feed in FA. The raiders just got rid of a top receiver so that be a weird trade as I think theyer collecting draft spots not giving them up. Maybe Seahawks I don’t know what’s going on there.

I think lots of teams would happily take brown and all the drama that comes with him. All he does is produce and receives are notoriously dramatic. We’ve been so lucky to have a tram player like aj. It’d be sad to see him go.
Reply/Quote
Couple of things to factor in at this point. Cincinnati is a smaller market team and may not be the most attractive choice to some players. However, the most attractive thing about the team is their loyalty, and I think that says something.

For AJ to come out and say he wants to retire here is important. If Cincinnati traded him, that wouldn’t look good at all. You have to play these things strategically. He’s still producing well and can really help a young QB out.
Reply/Quote
Soooo, you want to trade the one elite All-Pro level talent on the offense?

Heres why its a horrible idea:

1. It's Mike Brown. People point out that we could save $12 million and use that money to bring in some good starters. LOL. Are you serious? When is the last time this team has gone out and spent money in the free agent market to bring in anyone who resembles a good starter? If you dump Green, you will end up with a couple Brandon LaFell type players. It's no different than when the Bengals let Jospeh walk. All we got with that replacement money was Jason Allen and Nate Clements.

2. Ok, sure, lets get a 1st rounder for him. It's possible, but do you really trust ANY team to draft a surefire impact player with a pick in the 15-25 range? Because there probably isn't a top 10 team that's parting with that kind of pick.

All in all, it's a terrible idea and it would send the message that the team isn't interested in putting the best team possible on the field.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 01:16 AM)motoarch Wrote: Packers and 49ers are a good call.  Not as sure about the others.  Rams are going to have too many mouths to feed in FA.  The raiders just got rid of a top receiver so that be a weird trade as I think theyer collecting draft spots not giving them up.  Maybe Seahawks I don’t know what’s going on there.

I think lots of teams would happily take brown and all the drama that comes with him.  All he does is produce and receives are notoriously dramatic.  We’ve been so lucky to have a tram player like aj.  It’d be sad to see him go.

The Rams Don't nessary need him with Woods and Cooks but I think Mcvay would salivate at the thought of AJ in that offense. Especially considering how you can move AJ all over the field plus LA will always try to make a huge splash in the off-season. Raiders  have 3 first Rd picks maybe they trade there 2nd for AJ (I admit a bit of a stretch).
I don't doubt that teams would take Brown but I think they would rather have AJ over him.
J24

Reply/Quote
The real question about trading AJ, Carlos, or Geno is what can we get for him. I think there value would be high(especially Geno and AJ) but does the rest of the NFL think that?
AJ is a 1,300 10 + TD guy if healthy( also health of a QB) is that only worth a 3rd pick? I would say not in fact I would say that's worth at least a first and a third or fourth Rd pick. I know his age but he can easily put a contender over the top for a Superbowl and how much are those worth.
J24

Reply/Quote
The Bengals WILL NOT trade AJ Green and that is the end of that story. They WILL NOT tear it all down and start over.

This stuff is all well and good to talk about but anyone seriously thinking it could happen has just not been paying attention for the past 30 years.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote