Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green approaching franchise records
AJ Green is somewhat close to passing Chad Johnson on the Bengals all-time receptions, receiving yards, and TDs records.

AJ is 1876 yards away from Chad
AJ is 149 receptions away from Chad
AJ is only 3 TDs away from Chad

Barring an early critical injury, AJ should pass Chad on the TDs list this season, and he should also be on track to pass Chad for receiving yards and receptions in 2020 (assuming he gets extended or tagged).

Chad's my favorite player but I am very much rooting for AJ to become the franchise leader in all these!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 05:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: AJ Green is somewhat close to passing Chad Johnson on the Bengals all-time receptions, receiving yards, and TDs records.

Yards:

Barring an early critical injury, AJ should pass Chad on the TDs list this season, and he should also be on track to pass Chad for receiving yards and receptions in 2020 (assuming he gets extended or tagged).

Chad's my favorite player but I am very much rooting for AJ to become the franchise leader in all these!

I'm sure chad will be one of the first to congrat him too once he does.
Reply/Quote
At this point Green has better "per game" stats (5.4 rec, 80.2 yds) than Chad had with the Bengals (5.0, 71.4), a higher average per catch (14.8 to 14.4), and a higher catch percentage (58.7 to 55.8).

But a lot of the difference is due to Chad's first season numbers (28 rec, 329 yds, 11.8 avg, 46.7 catch %)

I loved them both.  Don't really think I could pick on over the other.
Reply/Quote
I like AJ, but Chad was Da Man. When we get to comparing players of different eras raw numbers are skewed. From 2003-2007 Chad was 4th, 6th, 3rd, 1st and 3rd in the NFL in receiving yards and he led the conference in 4 of those 5 years. In a similar stretch AJ was 10th, 5th, 20th, 8th, and 28th.

Given a couple of AJ's years in the 20s was due to injury, but that's another check in Chad's block. He didn't miss a game due to injury in his first 6 years in the league. Dude got stretchered off the field one game and was back the next.

Generations matter. Many consider Isaac Curtis the best Bengal WR ever and he never had a season of over 1,000 yards and only 2 over 800. AJ is good, but he's no Chad.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 06:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I like AJ, but Chad was Da Man. When we get to comparing players of different eras raw numbers are skewed. From 2003-2007 Chad was 4th, 6th, 3rd, 1st and 3rd in the NFL in receiving yards and he led the conference in 4 of those 5 years. In a similar stretch AJ was 10th, 5th, 20th, 8th, and 28th.

Given a couple of AJ's years in the 20s was due to injury, but that's another check in Chad's block. He didn't miss a game due to injury in his first 6 years in the league. Dude got stretchered off the field one game and was back the next.

Generations matter. Many consider Isaac Curtis the best Bengal WR ever and he never had a season of over 1,000 yards and only 2 over 800. AJ is good, but he's no Chad.

True, however back in Isaac's day, there was no such thing as pass interference. He basically was mugged the whole time.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 06:28 PM)sandwedge Wrote: True, however back in Isaac's day, there was no such thing as pass interference. He basically was mugged the whole time.

Isaac is actually the reason for the 5-yard rule

Reply/Quote
AJ is my favorite Bengal Wide Receiver, followed by Curtis.

Da best Bfine lol
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 05:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: AJ Green is somewhat close to passing Chad Johnson on the Bengals all-time receptions, receiving yards, and TDs records.

Same here. I go back and fourth between Chad and AJ as my favorite Bengal ever, but Chad was the one that got me back interested in them again so he’ll always be special to me for that reason alone.

We’ve been spoiled at WR for a long time now.

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 09:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: AJ is my favorite Bengal Wide Receiver, followed by Curtis.

Da best Bfine lol

It's really not even that close.

Let meknow when AJ or Isaac can do this:

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2019, 11:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's really not even that close.

Let meknow when AJ or Isaac can do this:

2009 Chad was the best version of Chad
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Chad was great and fun but I think I'd have to go AJ. Chad played with the better oline, qb, and Housh. Chad could be taken away from the game plan more easily than AJ, however then the run game and Housh would flourish.

AJ can run every route and do everything Chad could do. Chad cannot make himself like AJ and be big and physical and make the contested catches. Chad is an all time great and the funnest dude to ever step in the NFL but AJ is the greater weapon.
Reply/Quote
AJ is my type of player, he does his job. I’ve never liked the hotdogs. I understand those that do but is there a limit to how far to go? I get the dancing and all of the look at me stuff, some people crave all of the attention. I get it! The opposing coaches often didn’t have to fire up their teams because the Bengals had a big mouth spouting off to the media. The Ocho transformation became an embarrassing joke, cringe worthy. Chad was a great player, he could have been a HOF player if the focus was just playing the game. He cheated himself and his team with his mouth and antics. Green is 1 of my 3 fav. current players. If you’re comparing the 2, I think Chad was a little better. If I had to pick 1 for my team, it would be AJ.
Reply/Quote
Both were/are great players. IMO Chad had the better quarterback. Chad put it on the ground only 7 times in 166 games. AJ has fumbled 12 times in 111. So Chad wins the ball security comparison.
Reply/Quote
It's kinda like picking your favorite child.

Like Chad used to say: Child please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 07:19 AM)bonesaw Wrote: Chad was great and fun but I think I'd have to go AJ. Chad played with the better oline, qb, and Housh. Chad could be taken away from the game plan more easily than AJ, however then the run game and Housh would flourish.

AJ can run every route and do everything Chad could do. Chad cannot make himself like AJ and be big and physical and make the contested catches. Chad is an all time great and the funnest dude to ever step in the NFL but AJ is the greater weapon.

Chad’s durability puts him over AJ for me (at least at this point in his career). In Chad’s prime, the dude was damn near unstoppable. Chad couldn’t do what AJ does, but AJ couldn’t do what Chad did. I agree that AJ can run every route, but Chad could simply run them better and his body control was impeccable.

I don’t think it’s something to debate too hotly at the moment, AJ still has football left and I’m very happy I have been able to watch both of their careers and enjoy their talents.
Reply/Quote
Both great talents. I like AJ better because of the way he handles himself, and doesn't dramatize celebrations. That used to annoy me. But no denying Chad was a great receiver.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Everything is pretty comparable except AJ has almost as many TDs in 50 less games. TDs are pretty important.
Reply/Quote
Like em both, but give me AJ Green.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Awesome for AJ! He's put up pretty great numbers!

It's a shame he had injuries in a couple years because he nearly had 1000 yards receiving in each of his 1st 7 years...which I think only Randy Moss did. And the year he didn't do it, he had 964 yards in 10 games. He might have put up 1400-1500 yards that year which would have been awesome!
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2019, 11:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's really not even that close.

Yes it is.

Chad played on teams that generally ranked higher in passing yards and with practically no receiving yards from the TEs or RBs.

The only real difference I see is that Green has missed more games with injury.
Reply/Quote