Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AJ Green contract floor has been set. 70 milion
(07-17-2015, 01:17 AM)MrRager Wrote: Which has literally nothing to do anything CB said. 

I'm pretty much saying AJ Green has as much to do with this offense struggling as Dalton does.

The guy has to take double teams, get open, catch the ball, and make a play.

$14,000,000 receivers should do nothing less.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 01:17 AM)MrRager Wrote: Oh, I doubt we will lowball him and I doubt he plays money hungry, but Dez's situation this year and AJ's this year are a bit different. That's all I was saying. I guess I should have directed my reply to Mantooth, who was comparing their attitudes THIS year, but just kinda piggybacked your post. 

True. I think that it was more necessary to let Dez play out his deal than it currently is with A.J., like both organizations were planning on extending them this offseason.

But plans change quickly in this league.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 01:21 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: I'm pretty much saying AJ Green has as much to do with this offense struggling as Dalton does.

The guy has to take double teams, get open, catch the ball, and make a play.

$14,000,000 receivers should do nothing less.

Which is exactly what AJ has been doing since he entered the league, aside from a few games here and there and the ones he missed with injury. 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 01:21 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: I'm pretty much saying AJ Green has as much to do with this offense struggling as Dalton does.

So do they also get equal credit for producing the #6 scoring offense in the league in '13?
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 01:32 AM)MrRager Wrote: Which is exactly what AJ has been doing since he entered the league, aside from a few games here and there and the ones he missed with injury. 

100% agree, I don't know why people complain about him as if he's been some mediocre receiver. ther than Antonio Brown, who just CAN'T have a bad game for some reason, every single other WR in the league has their issues at times. People on here are way too fussy and cry about A.J.'s "issues" when they're clearly overblown if you watch football outside of Cincinnati games.

Just last year, Dez had 7 games with 4 or less receptions. Does that mean he doesn't deserve the contract he got?

Calvin Johnson has been shut down by Haden and co. in Cleveland, is he going to get knocked for that like A.J. does? I do find it frustrating that A.J. has a tough time with Joe Haden, but he's not the only receiver in the league with this issue. News flash people, good CBs shut down good WRs sometimes, that's why they're considered to be GOOD CBs!

I have my gripes with A.J., he's not a perfect WR, but the people that knock him for not being a physical receiver aren't being realistic. He's a finesse guy, he's not a big, dominating Megatron-esque WR. Do we nitpick the smaller, quick RBs for not playing as physically as the big, bruiser backs of the league? Everyone needs to realize there are different styles of receiver. Antonio Brown and A.J. Green aren't worth so much less just because they don't use their physicality as Dez and Calvin do, they're a different type of WR, and you need to compliment them with other targets that make sense. Instead of bitching and moaning because A.J. doesn't play the exact way certain people want him to, why not ***** and moan at the Bengals for not drafting/signing a big, physical #2/#3??
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 08:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So do they also get equal credit for producing the #6 scoring offense in the league in '13?

If Green, MLJ, and Andy played like they did in 2013 every single year, except A.J. drops 2 less balls, Andy throws 2 less INTs, and Marvin gets a few more of Sanu's snaps....I'd bet money that we would be looked at as one of the best offenses in the league by most. That's not even to mention Hill > BJGE and our o-line seems to be run blocking at a higher level nowadays.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 09:22 AM)djs7685 Wrote: 100% agree, I don't know why people complain about him as if he's been some mediocre receiver. ther than Antonio Brown, who just CAN'T have a bad game for some reason, every single other WR in the league has their issues at times. People on here are way too fussy and cry about A.J.'s "issues" when they're clearly overblown if you watch football outside of Cincinnati games.

Just last year, Dez had 7 games with 4 or less receptions. Does that mean he doesn't deserve the contract he got?

Calvin Johnson has been shut down by Haden and co. in Cleveland, is he going to get knocked for that like A.J. does? I do find it frustrating that A.J. has a tough time with Joe Haden, but he's not the only receiver in the league with this issue. News flash people, good CBs shut down good WRs sometimes, that's why they're considered to be GOOD CBs!

Rep.

I guess this is the same with every team, but some Bengals players get more hatred from Bengal fans than anyone else.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 09:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Rep.

I guess this is the same with every team, but some Bengals players get more hatred from Bengal fans than anyone else.

The one thing that puzzles me the most is that our "elite" players usually don't catch too much flack except by the occasional troll or a couple guys here and there, yet A.J. gets hit a little bit harder on here than I think he should.

I honestly don't know why. Jeremy Hill has been anointed as a top 5 running back in the league after having 7 great games by some of the same people that nitpick A.J. after having 4 great seasons. Geno Atkins didn't play NEAR his potential and it gets shrugged off as "well, that type of injury takes 53 months to fully heal, so benefit of the doubt n' stuff", while A.J. puts up over 1,000 yards with turf toe and a bum bicep and we hear "omg he's declining don't pay him!". Andy has one of his worst statistical seasons and it's "he had to deal with all of the injuries!" though he wasn't injured himself, while A.J. WAS INJURED and doesn't get the benefit of the doubt for injury (derp).

I dunno, I could be overreacting, but for whatever reason, A.J. seemingly gets nitpicked and hit harder than most of our better players. I know that including Andy isn't really fair since he gets bashed more than anyone else around here, but I had to include him because there are specific guys here that say exactly what I wrote in my last sentence in the second paragraph, it's just crazy here at times. I may be a dick, I may be abrasive at times, but I at least TRY to remain consistent with my insanity and ramblings. Some guys are all over the place and it makes me so, so confused.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 09:27 AM)djs7685 Wrote: If Green, MLJ, and Andy played like they did in 2013 every single year, except A.J. drops 2 less balls, Andy throws 2 less INTs, and Marvin gets a few more of Sanu's snaps....I'd bet money that we would be looked at as one of the best offenses in the league by most. That's not even to mention Hill > BJGE and our o-line seems to be run blocking at a higher level nowadays.

After the heat Dalton took on this board (well not this board I guess) after his 2013 season I doubt if he played like that every single year folks would be happy. Heck they deemed him a bum and one of the worse qb's in the league after his 2013 season. Wanted us to draft his replacement. Even though he broke all kinds of franchise records and such. You remember the arguments. Nobody was applauding his season. 2 less interceptions wouldn't change that as he threw 4 in the last game against Baltimore, 2 of which wasn't even on him. Interesting retake on Daltons 2013 season. But I disagree. We remember the offseason war.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I think AJ should make more than these 2. I don't feel like listing every reason because I'm watching TV with my girl but yeah.
Reply/Quote
Gregg Rosenthal thinks 70 mil is the floor as well and says Green has been "even better" than Dez and Thomas.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000502310/article/aj-green-to-demaryius-thomas-thank-you

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 10:05 AM)djs7685 Wrote: The one thing that puzzles me the most is that our "elite" players usually don't catch too much flack except by the occasional troll or a couple guys here and there, yet A.J. gets hit a little bit harder on here than I think he should.

I honestly don't know why. Jeremy Hill has been anointed as a top 5 running back in the league after having 7 great games by some of the same people that nitpick A.J. after having 4 great seasons. Geno Atkins didn't play NEAR his potential and it gets shrugged off as "well, that type of injury takes 53 months to fully heal, so benefit of the doubt n' stuff", while A.J. puts up over 1,000 yards with turf toe and a bum bicep and we hear "omg he's declining don't pay him!". Andy has one of his worst statistical seasons and it's "he had to deal with all of the injuries!" though he wasn't injured himself, while A.J. WAS INJURED and doesn't get the benefit of the doubt for injury (derp).

I dunno, I could be overreacting, but for whatever reason, A.J. seemingly gets nitpicked and hit harder than most of our better players. I know that including Andy isn't really fair since he gets bashed more than anyone else around here, but I had to include him because there are specific guys here that say exactly what I wrote in my last sentence in the second paragraph, it's just crazy here at times. I may be a dick, I may be abrasive at times, but I at least TRY to remain consistent with my insanity and ramblings. Some guys are all over the place and it makes me so, so confused.

You know exactly why.  The people that are mostly bashing Green are the ones that make excuses for Dalton.  I've noticed this trend and it is sickening. Anytime Dalton is bashed the same people will always bring up how AJ Green had a bad game here or there so why  don't we talk about that instead of bashing Dalton. As if Dalton's production and level of play is similar to Green.

I actually used to argue with this one clown because he thought Dalton was a better player than Green.  Bengals fans are delusional at times.
Reply/Quote
Just read that DT said in his press conference that AJ texted him after he got his deal, and said "Thank you."

I found this a little strange. It seemed un AJ-y.

I saw people discussing earlier in this thread whether 70million would be the floor, and it certainly looks like it after hearing that!

How high could this contract actually get?

I suppose if shit went down, Dalton would be cut to free up space, and we could sign AJ to the biggest mega deal ever?
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2015, 12:40 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Just read that DT said in his press conference that AJ texted him after he got his deal, and said "Thank you."

I saw people discussing earlier in this thread whether 70million would be the floor, and it certainly looks like it after hearing that!

I suppose if shit went down, Dalton would be cut to free up space, and we could sign AJ to the biggest mega deal ever?

I don't want to get too over-analytical over a text between friends, but it could've had a light hearted context to it.

I said myself he'd be wise to see what he got anyways, he seems pleased.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2015, 12:40 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Just read that DT said in his press conference that AJ texted him after he got his deal, and said "Thank you."

Probably just friend talk. I wouldn't think too much into it. Green's not in a hurry for a contract and always backs up his talk, even though he doesn't talk much.
Reply/Quote
Green deserves to make as much as Dez and Thomas.

Thomas and Green's stats are very identical, even though Green played in less games and was injured/taken out in games he started in. Heck, Thomas has had superior QB play.

Green averages more yards per game than Thomas. In fact, Green leads every Bengals receiver in history in receiving yards per game (81.2). That's almost 10 more yards than the 2nd best in franchise history (Chad Johnson with 71.4)

Sure Dez Bryant certainly has better numbers as well, but again Green averages more yards per game than Dez (72.3).

Green deserves his money for being as consistent as he is.
Reply/Quote