Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AJ Green contract floor has been set. 70 milion
(07-15-2015, 07:04 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: This.  Why pay an extra $4 - 5 mil now?

Because you have the space and you get the certainty of knowing what A.J. will cost you in '16 when you have a bunch of guys headed for free agency.

I have little doubt A.J. will be signed to a long term deal at some point, but I would like to have him signed before next season so we can avoid the "the Bengals have to be cautious because they may have to pay Green the franchise cap figure" articles from Hobson next winter.
Reply/Quote
These seem like reasonable deals for the Bengals sake. Megatron has guarantees in the lower 50's/mil and these two got mid 40's. They are expensive contracts but not bar raisers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If his floor is what Dez signed for then I vote let him walk.

It sounds pretty stupid but with the amount of young talent this team has some people are not going to be re-signed after giving AJ $13,000,000 per to drop balls in clutch situations.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm with the contention that believes the Dez Bryant contract should be the ceiling for the AJ Green deal.  I would also agree that unless AJ's agent wants to get a team friendly deal done, right now, the team would be best suited to let him play out his current deal.

I love watching AJ Green do spectacular things on the football field, but I also feel miserable when he blunders in pressure situations.  (Hmmm, puts another Bengal in mind...)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 09:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I love watching AJ Green do spectacular things on the football field, but I also feel miserable when he blunders in pressure situations.  (Hmmm, puts another Bengal in mind...)

You mean like how easy it is to pry the ball from his hands?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 09:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm with the contention that believes the Dez Bryant contract should be the ceiling for the AJ Green deal.  I would also agree that unless AJ's agent wants to get a team friendly deal done, right now, the team would be best suited to let him play out his current deal.

I love watching AJ Green do spectacular things on the football field, but I also feel miserable when he blunders in pressure situations.  (Hmmm, puts another Bengal in mind...)

I agree with "ceiling". Green is solidly in Bryant and Thomas' class of receivers. But not above them with Megatron.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 09:38 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I agree with "ceiling". Green is solidly in Bryant and Thomas' class of receivers. But not above them with Megatron.

Yep, pretty much my thoughts.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
One thing I don't understand, and I might be wrong about this, is how the salary cap keeps going up and how player contracts keep going up by so much when the rest of the country is struggling economically.

Is it just from TV deals and such going up, or are the owners having to pay more, which cuts into their profits, or how is it working? They don't seem to be increasing ticket prices by substantial amounts, which thank God, so how's it possible?

Back to AJ: I love that AJ has his head on straight and isn't worried about money because he has plenty of it and knows that he'll get paid, but let's say that Andy has improved even more than people are saying and Hill makes defenses sellout to stop him, which both things allow for AJ to have a huge year, what are the odds that AJ's agent decides to play hard-ball and demands for him to be the highest paid receiver in the game? I know that AJ wouldn't play hardball like that, but will AJ be able to control his agent in negotiations? Just seems like it could end bad for us.

Don't know why I'm stressing because AJ is an awesome guy and his recent comments made me want to build a gold AJ statue in my backyard and then marry it, but agents freak me out, especially when it's a guy who was about to let Dez sit-out games.
Reply/Quote
Worth every penny.
Reply/Quote
Floor, not so much. Ceiling, ok. I think we're wise enough not to sell the farm for a receiver. If it's a superbowl we want. He should get a similar deal and we should move on. The price is only going to go up if all goes as well as we hope this season.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I find it hilarious that people think QB play has no impact on the production of a WR.

The better the QB the better the wideouts perform. There is a direct correlation. AJ Green with Romo> AJ Green with Dalton. If you guys think AJ Green is better with an inferior QB or are somehow making the absurd argument that Dalton is as good as Romo, I just have to laugh.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 10:03 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I find it hilarious that people think QB play has no impact on the production of a WR.

The better the QB the better the wideouts perform. There is a direct correlation. AJ Green with Romo> AJ Green with Dalton. If you guys think AJ Green is better with an inferior QB or are somehow making the absurd argument that Dalton is as good as Romo, I just have to laugh.

Yep, it appears to me that AJ benefits from having Andy as his QB.  When AJ is in the game, he is about the only one that he looks to throw to.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 10:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, it appears to me that AJ benefits from having Andy as his QB.  When AJ is in the game, he is about the only one that he looks to throw to.

Yea no doubt. Having a better QB throwing you the ball further and more accurately is definitely a negative. I wonder why WRs love playing with great QBs, they should be asking to play with Andy considering AJ benefits from it.

As far as AJ being the only target, maybe it's because he is by far the best WR the Bengals have. If I were a QB i'd be looking his way as well....chances are he'll get open relative to the other options.
Reply/Quote
AJ was more polished coming into the league than Demarius by far, though Manning has helped refine that talent.

Dez is a calculated risk.

AJ's value is slightly higher than these two by the time a deal gets done. Does he or his agent push for higher pay? I have my doubts from his camp.

I'd be comfortable with 5 years 74.5 mil, 50 guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 11:05 PM)TGISunday Wrote: AJ was more polished coming into the league than Demarius by far, though Manning has helped refine that talent.

Dez is a calculated risk.

AJ's value is slightly higher than these two by the time a deal gets done.  Does he or his agent push for higher pay?  I have my doubts from his camp.

I'd be comfortable with 5 years 74.5 mil, 50 guaranteed.

I don't see how A.J. is refusing 67% guaranteed money and a higher total value than Dez.

And I don't see how that offer is ever made to be honest.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 11:16 PM)Stormborn Wrote: I don't see how A.J. is refusing 67% guaranteed money and a higher total value than Dez.

And I don't see how that offer is ever made to be honest.

I don't understand the maths you're talking about.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 11:51 PM)TGISunday Wrote: I don't understand the maths you're talking about.

50 million guaranteed from a potential 74.5 million is about 67%.

Or did you mean 50% guaranteed from 74.5 million (about 36.7 million)?
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 12:03 AM)Stormborn Wrote: 50 million guaranteed from a potential 74.5 million is about 67%.

Or did you mean 50% guaranteed from 74.5 million (about 36.7 million)?

To clarify, I just estimated that aj gets slightly more than dez. Dez Got 46 guaranteed on 70 mil over 5 years. Shrug.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 08:26 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: If his floor is what Dez signed for then I vote let him walk.

It sounds pretty stupid but with the amount of young talent this team has some people are not going to be re-signed after giving AJ $13,000,000 per to drop balls in clutch situations.

Every WR drops some passes, and AJ has made some huge catches in clutch situations.
Reply/Quote
If we get rid of AJ Green won't it become 2010 again!?
Reply/Quote