Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almost every Bengals starter is grading worse this season than last year by PFF
(10-09-2019, 11:30 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'm not 100% sure, to be honest, Pistons. Maybe our minimal scouting approach is not addressing "football smarts" vs pure physical talent? Maybe we're not good at the position coaching level? Whatever the case may be, yes, the defense has definitely fallen off the last few years. Even when Marvin stepped in and "dumbed" the system down, they struggled. 

We do tend to get freakish athletes like PJ Dawson and Jefferson...that don't seem to be able to learn a system. Jefferson supposedly couldn't handle special teams.

I guess when you scout from publications, intelligence is impossible to measure.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 11:32 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We do tend to get freakish athletes like PJ Dawson and Jefferson...that don't seem to be able to learn a system. Jefferson supposedly couldn't handle special teams.

I guess when you scout from publications, intelligence is impossible to measure.

Indeed it is. Just like recruiting from said services for college football. I'm a FSU fan, and it was rumored that Jimbo was pretty much recruiting from the internet his last few years in Tallahassee. The Seminoles struggle with a lot of the same issues the Bengals do. They're finally starting to clean things up a bit into Taggarts 2nd season. Willie does at least go visit his recruits.

Wow, I had not heard that about Jefferson and STs.... that's pretty alarming and very telling. Hey, at least this young staff cut bait there rather quickly.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 04:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So much for the new staff 'coaching guys up' or the team being better in coaching by 'default'.

I get that there are injuries, but shouldn't the healthy guys be playing the same or better? For instance, why is our secondary regressing?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Maybe these are golf scores....
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 04:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So much for the new staff 'coaching guys up' or the team being better in coaching by 'default'.

I get that there are injuries, but shouldn't the healthy guys be playing the same or better? For instance, why is our secondary regressing?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How is Boyd 7+ points worse this year? He is having an even better year this season IMO

Dude is our best player right now not named Huber...
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 11:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The odd thing is our defense has given up the most yards through 5 games in franchise history...and YES - Teams are mainly attacking us with the run. That's shocking!

Usually passing stats are where teams put up big yardage.

The Ratbirds have to be licking their beaks.

(10-08-2019, 11:53 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Good LBs that fill gaps properly and have speed to cover the edges changes that. 

Their propensity for playing off WRs baffles me still though. They have corners good enough to press and when they drop back 5 yards at the snap on 3rd and 3, they're just giving a first down away and a guarantee that they'll be out there at least another 3 downs. 

Well, Mike Brown couldn't find any Good LBers during the off-season cause free agency ...

[Image: dce.jpg]

Reply/Quote