Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
AJ Green reportedly not interested in extension
(10-08-2019, 12:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Julio, no. Thomas, yes.

Michael Thomas is set to surpass AJ Green in receptions and yards after their first four years in the NFL.
In fact, after their first three seasons, Thomas was only 46 yards less than AJ.
Given Thomas is entering his prime whereas AJ is trending down, I'd say Thomas is definitely a tier above AJ at this point.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown is willing to pay up for talented players( for the most part), I imagine the sticking point is length of contract. I wouldn't offer AJ more than a two year deal at fair market price. If he's willing to take a team friendly deal, maybe a longer deal could get hammered out. Like I said before, he'll recover just fine from the high ankle sprain, it's the turf toe that seems to be the lingering problem with AJ.
Reply/Quote
I certainly hope that the quote about not being interested in any extension is not true, for a couple of reasons.

First of all, if it's public knowledge that AJ no longer wishes to be a Bengal, and he's a free agent at the end of the season, the Bengals just lost a ton of bargaining leverage in the trade market.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I have reliable sources within the organization that have told me that AJ has been offered a contract and has since turned it down.

That's not to say he doesn't want to stay here - he could have turned it down because it wasn't as much as hes looking for and he wants to renegotiate for more (this is what I think).

Regardless, I cant see him being here next year. I just don't think the Bengals are going to offer him enough. It would have happened by now.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 01:05 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I have reliable sources within the organization that have told me that AJ has been offered a contract and has since turned it down.

That's not to say he doesn't want to stay here - he could have turned it down because it wasn't as much as hes looking for and he wants to renegotiate for more (this is what I think).

Regardless, I cant see him being here next year. I just don't think the Bengals are going to offer him enough. It would have happened by now.

its smart to make sure he can get back on the field before paying him big... but also smart to reinvest that money if we aren't going anywhere for a while
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 10:01 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Even if he was, the time is nigh.

We love you AJ. Therefore, we set you free.

:andy:

Sad but true
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 01:05 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I have reliable sources within the organization that have told me that AJ has been offered a contract and has since turned it down.

If the Bengals don't offer him much, I doubt it would take much for MB to trade him away.  Dark times ahead for this franchise I think.  Forums will probably overload and shut down after we get a 4th and 7th round pick for him.  LMAO
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote

It was bad timing for his injury. I think the contract had a legit shot at getting done before he went down.

MB will pay his Wideouts and Qb's.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I love AJ but I can't see justifying paying him in the $20M a year range. His injuries are starting to mount and I don't see how you can afford to wrap up that much in a 30+ year old wide receiver whose recent history is unreliable.

Sorry but I don't see receiving being the issue. Our receiving core is plenty serviceable if we had an offensive line that could protect and a defense that can get off the field. Fix the glaring issues.
Reply/Quote
Maybe I'm missing something. Why would anyone trade, especially a high pick, for AJ right now? Half a year and I guess the inside track on re-signing him?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 11:39 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Hard to fault the AJ’s and Whit’s of the world when the front office shows ambivalence to excellence.  Until the ownership/front office changes, this team will continue to be an also ran, at best getting a Wild Card spot and losing.

Maybe the FO is privy to AJs medical documents and are afraid of investing 20 mil a year? Not telling the rest of us because it would lower his trade value. 
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 12:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Michael Thomas is set to surpass AJ Green in receptions and yards after their first four years in the NFL.
In fact, after their first three seasons, Thomas was only 46 yards less than AJ.
Given Thomas is entering his prime whereas AJ is trending down, I'd say Thomas is definitely a tier above AJ at this point.

Thomas is younger, sure, but he also has Drew Brees as his QB.

If AJ could stay healthy (big if at this point), and play with Brees, Brady, Wilson, Rodgers, or Mahomes, for the next few years I’m sure he’d put up huge numbers.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 01:17 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Maybe I'm missing something.  Why would anyone trade, especially a high pick, for AJ right now?  Half a year and I guess the inside track on re-signing him?

Most would do it if they are a Super Bowl contender and want that extra elite player to give them an even better chance.
Winning a Super Bowl is worth gambling your next few years on.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 01:16 PM)R3stangs Wrote: I love AJ but I can't see justifying paying him in the $20M a year range. His injuries are starting to mount and I don't see how you can afford to wrap up that much in a 30+ year old wide receiver whose recent history is unreliable.

Sorry but I don't see receiving being the issue. Our receiving core is plenty serviceable if we had an offensive line that could protect and a defense that can get off the field. Fix the glaring issues.

No it’s not. It’s garbage outside of AJ and Boyd.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 01:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Thomas is younger, sure, but he also has Drew Brees as his QB.

If AJ could stay healthy (big if at this point), and play with Brees, Brady, Wilson, Rodgers, or Mahomes, for the next few years I’m sure he’d put up huge numbers.

Thomas has put up 420 yards and 3 TDs with Teddy Bridgewater in 4 games this year. He's not QB-dependent.

EDIT - Also, to reiterate, the reason Thomas gets to be on another level than AJ is due to health and age. You can't rely on AJ anymore to give you a full season. You also can't assume he'd be ultra-productive at 34 years old (3 years from now). You can assume Thomas will be productive and healthy at age 28.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 01:11 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: If the Bengals don't offer him much, I doubt it would take much for MB to trade him away.  Dark times ahead for this franchise I think.  Forums will probably overload and shut down after we get a 4th and 7th round pick for him.  LMAO

Similar to the Steelers with AB. The only difference is the AB was healthy other than his mind.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 01:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Thomas has put up 420 yards and 3 TDs with Teddy Bridgewater in 4 games this year. He's not QB-dependent.

Forgot about Brees being out. Ok I’ll concede. That’s pretty impressive.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 01:17 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Maybe I'm missing something.  Why would anyone trade, especially a high pick, for AJ right now?  Half a year and I guess the inside track on re-signing him?

It's that time of the year when teams that feel like they're in contention will make a deal for a player that they feel "puts them over the top".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 12:50 PM)Foolishpride Wrote: You mean Kittle?

I meant Kittle and Kelcie are 2 best TE"s.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 01:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No it’s not. It’s garbage outside of AJ and Boyd.

This...

And even Boyd is more than a notch or two below AJ Green.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote