Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
AJ Green reportedly not interested in extension
(10-08-2019, 08:52 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: We should have moved him years ago. No amount of money can make him stay in this dumpster, imagine AJ Green retiring and not winning a playoff game.

Dillon, Chad, Carson etc were able to win playoff games elsewhere.

AJ should get that opportunity.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 09:45 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: You guys are crazy for wanting to trade AJ.

That guy has been always been money when he's on the field. He's the reason people think Andy is a good QB and he's the reason we went to the playoffs 5 years in a row.

Look where we are without him.

That guy draws extra coverage every game and often beats it. His presence opens up the field for our offense.

Pay the man what he deserves and get him a top QB with our likely top-5 pick. Even if we can't work out an extention he'd be worth the franchise tag.

AJ was a fantastic player. He still is good when he's on the field. He's my second-favorite player behind Chad.
With that said, look at the receiving leaders right now.
There is no receiver over 30 year old in the top 20 in production this season.
Also, the Bengals are likely 3 years away from being a true contender unless they severely change their approach to FA. AJ would be 34 by the time that happens.
If the Bengals are going to give a player $15+ mill a year, I'd rather it go to a receiver or LB in their prime or a proven LT (Castonzo).

EDIT - And even with AJ, this still isn't a true playoff contender, but having AJ puts the team in no-man's land (6-8 wins). No top pick but no going deep in the playoffs. Personally, if this team isn't a playoff contender, I want as early of a draft pick as possible. Even if AJ were traded, he could always come back in the offseason. He's not going to miraculously save this season by being a Bengal in 2019.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 05:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree that AJ's money could be better invested elsewhere (even on a new WR or two). Personally, if I'm going to spend $15+ mill a year on a WR, I don't want it spent on a 32 year old WR. But they do need better WR depth than Willis and Morgan if they haven't showed marked improvement by year's end.

I can go along with that.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 09:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Just saw this from Rotoworld this morning...
https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/1622/aj-green

If true, I can't say I'm surprised, as I think the Bengals need to move on anyway. Try to get what you can for him, as this team needs as many draft picks as possible in hopes of a rebuild. A 1st rounder would be ideal but I'd be ok with a Day 2 pick.

Cannot blame the guy, he looked really PO'ed on the side lines against the Cards. Seeing a team look this bad at times is 
very frustrating for everyone. The coaches are being outcoached and that sure doesn't make you want to sign an extension.
Reply/Quote
Then there's this:

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1848196

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I really hope this is true because neither side would benefit from him staying in Cincinnati and I would prefer to see AJ go get a ring with the patriots. AJ has been nothing but a professional his entire time in Cincinnati and much respect to him for everything he has done.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 12:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: Then there's this:

Ah shit..... Cry
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 12:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cannot blame the guy, he looked really PO'ed on the side lines against the Cards. Seeing a team look this bad at times is 
very frustrating for everyone. The coaches are being outcoached and that sure doesn't make you want to sign an extension.

removing emotion from the situation it's much more beneficial to move on.  He gets to join a contender with the remainder of his short time left and we get a first-round pick which is kinda insane.  The sooner this team starts making moves towards our future and stop holding on to aging players the better.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Maybe he really wants to be on those "greatest players who never got a ring" lists.  The guy is free to do as he wishes with his career, but if he really wants to stay here and the front office is still waffling on whether he's worth a long-term deal or not you'd think that would maybe convince him that staying here isn't a rosy a prospect as he might think.

AJ - I want to spend my entire career in Cincy.
MB - Sounds great...let me just wait to see if you're worth another contract before I agree, though.
AJ - Sounds good!  I'll be here when you decide I'm worth it!
Reply/Quote

Kind of the opposite of what the OP said isn't it?

Don't know what to think now, thanks Wyche lol

(10-09-2019, 12:56 PM)Okeana Wrote: removing emotion from the situation it's much more beneficial to move on.  He gets to join a contender with the remainder of his short time left and we get a first-round pick which is kinda insane.  The sooner this team starts making moves towards our future and stop holding on to aging players the better.

I agree for the most part, always wanted to see him get a ring here but it doesn't look like that is going to happen 
unless things turn around really fast. He has always been one of the most classy players I have ever heard of.

Whether he stays here or goes somewhere else I truly hope everyone benefits.

(10-09-2019, 12:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe he really wants to be on those "greatest players who never got a ring" lists.  The guy is free to do as he wishes with his career, but if he really wants to stay here and the front office is still waffling on whether he's worth a long-term deal or not you'd think that would maybe convince him that staying here isn't a rosy a prospect as he might think.

MB - Sounds great...let me just wait to see if you're worth another contract before I agree, though.

A lot of assumption here Nately and I don't like how you made it look like AJ is dumb like MB. Not cool man.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 09:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We need to save cap space to sign guys like Kerry Wynn, BW Webb, and Bobby Hart. Plus paying guys like Bernard like Top 15 backs to touch the ball 5 times a game or less.

Well, when you say it like that, it sounds like a pretty stupid plan...  Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 01:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: A lot of assumption here Nately and I don't like how you made it look like AJ is dumb like MB. Not cool man.

Meh, I'm not saying he's dumb he just seems loyal to a fault if he wants to stay here and the Bengals aren't even sure they want to keep him.  I would assume blind loyalty would have to be a two-way street, but maybe not. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 01:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I'm not saying he's dumb he just seems loyal to a fault if he wants to stay here and the Bengals aren't even sure they want to keep him.  I would assume blind loyalty would have to be a two-way street, but maybe not. 

Haven't heard the Bengals aren't even sure they want to keep him. Where have you heard that?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 01:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Haven't heard the Bengals aren't even sure they want to keep him. Where have you heard that?

He hasn't been offered an extension yet.  AJ says he wants to stay here and rather than offer an extension the FO is playing the wait and see game because he's injured.  That just doesn't seem like symmetrical loyalty to me.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 12:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe he really wants to be on those "greatest players who never got a ring" lists.  The guy is free to do as he wishes with his career, but if he really wants to stay here and the front office is still waffling on whether he's worth a long-term deal or not you'd think that would maybe convince him that staying here isn't a rosy a prospect as he might think.

If that's indeed how it went down, that's correct.

However, we all know how secretive this outfit is. 

I'd like to get picks for AJ, but the truth is, if he wants to stay here for a reasonable price, I think you have to let him do it. He's been the consumate professional, and really, it wouldn't hurt to have a guy like that around to groom younger WRs. If that's the case, you start shopping other vets aggressively.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 01:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Kind of the opposite of what the OP said isn't it?

Don't know what to think now, thanks Wyche lol

I agree for the most part, always wanted to see him get a ring here but it doesn't look like that is going to happen 
unless things turn around really fast. He has always been one of the most classy players I have ever heard of.

Whether he stays here or goes somewhere else I truly hope everyone benefits.

A lot of assumption here Nately and I don't like how you made it look like AJ is dumb like MB. Not cool man.

You're welcome Nate! LOL

Reply/Quote
Green is one of the good guys and I remember when Bengals drafted him, he looked pissed and some fans thought that he did not want to be a Bengal. If they do extend Green, then fine but damn, getting a first rounder for him with this deep WR class of 2020 sounds better. I just hope they move someone for draft picks and Please, do not extend Dalton...
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 01:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He hasn't been offered an extension yet.  AJ says he wants to stay here and rather than offer an extension the FO is playing the wait and see game because he's injured.  That just doesn't seem like symmetrical loyalty to me.

According to an earlier post in this thread, he's been offered a deal, but the two sides didn't agree on the terms.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 09:45 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: You guys are crazy for wanting to trade AJ.

That guy has been always been money when he's on the field. He's the reason people think Andy is a good QB and he's the reason we went to the playoffs 5 years in a row.

Look where we are without him.

That guy draws extra coverage every game and often beats it. His presence opens up the field for our offense.

Pay the man what he deserves and get him a top QB with our likely top-5 pick. Even if we can't work out an extention he'd be worth the franchise tag.

problem is hes getting older missing to much time from the field.   And  the rest of the team is in shambles..   

All of us who love for AJ to retire in stripes... But reality is what it is.   AJ and Andy work well together  you say AJ made Andy but without Andy there is no AJ either.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 10:21 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Plus the chances are very high he'd get a ring. 

Like Moss got one with the PATS? Brady and the PATS seems to perform better when they don't have a top tier WR. 
Reply/Quote