Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green won't push for more money
Omg. Stop it.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 06:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oy! That would be a bitter pill to swallow.

At least then wed get to see him beat the Steelers!
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 03:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm sure AJ is a man of honor, and will honor his contract through. Then when it's up, he will negotiate for more money, as he should. Besides, coming off last year, now is not his strongest argument about being paid more...... no one on the team can make that demand credibly right now.

This

But will repeat what others have said as well. 

What a class act AJ is and it is and very refreshing to see in this day and age. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
C'mon folks.  I'm not suggesting they play for peanuts, but catching a football isn't exactly the most neccesary skill needed by any society to maintain law and order and keep the masses from starving .
If i had my rathers I'd rather we paid school teachers much more money than they're being paid and a little less willingness to fork over obsene  wealth to athletes, but I don't write the rules.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
AJ needs to renegotiate for big $$$$. Unless he already signed a contract with MB to work for him after he retires.
Reply/Quote
This was my story at Cincinnati.com (I'm always curious how you guys find these weird aggregator sites, but anyway...)
Yes - Green is not going to do a Julio Jones, etc. and ask to renegotiate his current deal. He did say in the piece he'll negotiate a new contract when he' set to become a free agent or earn another extension. It's his right to ask for more ... but it is different to hear a buy basically say yeah, I'm set for life, I'm good - so I don't really care about it.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 03:05 AM)grampahol Wrote: Ehhh..come contract talking time his agent isn't gonna be a shrinking violet ..He'll get mo money . As far as deserving? He catches a ball for a living. As far as I've ever been concerned no NFL player has ever been worth the kind of insane money these guys make . Since when has anyone ever been underpaid making $15m a year?  We should all be so unfortunate. 

Attitudes like this one puzzle me. Earnings are comparative, for AJs performance, he is underpaid. 15 million is a lot of money, but its peanuts to other star athletes. Look at the MLB and NBA. Guys of similar status in those sports often make double what AJ does. We are normal humans, so of course this is an insane amount of money to us. NFL players are comparatively underpaid.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 01:57 PM)jowczarski Wrote: but it is different to hear a buy basically say yeah, I'm set for life, I'm good - so I don't really care about it.

Right.... Makes you wonder why these other guys need so much more money....

I'm guessing life style choices comes into play... AJ doesn't seem the type that needs the biggest house or the 500,000 dollar cars...

Most of these guys are set for life even if they didn't get what AJ makes in a year in 4 years.. if they handle their money wisely.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 05:05 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Right.... Makes you wonder why these other guys need so much more money....

I'm guessing life style choices comes into play... AJ doesn't seem the type that needs the biggest house or the 500,000 dollar cars...

Most of these guys are set for life even if they didn't get what AJ makes in a year in 4 years.. if they handle their money wisely.

I would say you're right. He has a home in Cincinnati and just built one in Atlanta (which makes sense) and he says he still regrets tricking out the first car he bought with an unnecessary kit. He still has that car, though, and just drives his truck around. He also doesn't have to pay for much anyway being A.J. Green. Or if he does, it's not a big deal (i.e. chartering the private jet for the UGA guys to go to the game during the bye week last year). 
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 10:16 AM)jowczarski Wrote: I would say you're right. He has a home in Cincinnati and just built one in Atlanta (which makes sense) and he says he still regrets tricking out the first car he bought with an unnecessary kit. He still has that car, though, and just drives his truck around. He also doesn't have to pay for much anyway being A.J. Green. Or if he does, it's not a big deal (i.e. chartering the private jet for the UGA guys to go to the game during the bye week last year). 

Green strikes me as one of the guys that listen to the NFL money managing programs, hired his own money manager, and now his money is making money.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 05:11 AM)grampahol Wrote: C'mon folks.  I'm not suggesting they play for peanuts, but catching a football isn't exactly the most neccesary skill needed by any society to maintain law and order and keep the masses from starving .
If i had my rathers I'd rather we paid school teachers much more money than they're being paid and a little less willingness to fork over obsene  wealth to athletes, but I don't write the rules.. 

Believe police and military should as well as teachers. 

Unfortunately that is not the world we live in. 

If it did not go to the players then some fat cat rich owner would just get richer at the players expense and no teacher would see a dime.

They do risk major injury often as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 11:10 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe police and military should as well as teachers. 

Unfortunately that is not the world we live in. 

If it did not go to the players then some fat cat rich owner would just get richer at the players expense and no teacher would see a dime.

They do risk major injury often as well.

I think people forget that it is an all year around job now. Not like the old days, when the season ended you took 6 months off and then decided to get into somewhat shape. I don't begrudge them making the money they make, seems like alot but it is entertainment, no different than actors or anyone else TV. 
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 09:12 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: When his career is over he will go down as the best Bengals WR in history.

I’m just hopeful he finishes it out here.
Reply/Quote
I found this attitude refreshing. I do understand getting what you can get. But I also believe that when you sign a contract you should be prepared to honor it and not cry about how someone else is making more than you three years into the contract you agreed to. It is nice to see a player not be overtly greedy and self centered, but show class and honor.
Reply/Quote
Maybe he doesn’t even want to resign here? Not yet anyway.

He will be 32/33 when he signs his next contract, on the backside of his career.

If this team doesn’t show improvement, what is to keep him from going somewhere to win? He clearly doesn’t need to be the highest paid.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 11:50 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Maybe he doesn’t even want to resign here?  Not yet anyway.

He will be 32/33 when he signs his next contract, on the backside of his career.

If this team doesn’t show improvement, what is to keep him from going somewhere to win?  He clearly doesn’t need to be the highest paid.

I think Green is like Atkins, where the team is willing to take the L on production late in his career just because of what he's meant. That said, they still won't overpay. If Green is still a Pro Bowler at 32 - and willing to move to the slot (which he has said he'd do when he knows he's lost a step) - I can see the team keeping him around at market value. Green wants to go to the HOF, though, so I could see him also examining the Super Bowl chances at that point knowing that it's getting harder and harder for receivers to get in and such things do matter to voters. It'll be interesting to see what he's thinking after next year when the team wants to talk extension.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 01:07 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I think Green is like Atkins, where the team is willing to take the L on production late in his career just because of what he's meant. That said, they still won't overpay. If Green is still a Pro Bowler at 32 - and willing to move to the slot (which he has said he'd do when he knows he's lost a step) - I can see the team keeping him around at market value. Green wants to go to the HOF, though, so I could see him also examining the Super Bowl chances at that point knowing that it's getting harder and harder for receivers to get in and such things do matter to voters. It'll be interesting to see what he's thinking after next year when the team wants to talk extension.

And I see Green showing what appears to be frustration with the coaches, Andy and other players at times (as well as - mostly - himself).  No one wants to beat his head against the wall when his teammates are underperforming.

If there isn't a bit of a sea change this year, I could see him looking for greener pasture.
Reply/Quote