Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green.
(08-26-2015, 05:07 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: This is one of those topics that I just don't quite understand.

The guy comes in as a junior out of college and goes to the Pro-Bowl EVERY year.  Sure, people will argue that it's just a popularity contest, but, when has Cincinnati been one of the pinnacles of popularity?

I have zero issues with the guy.  He keeps his trap shut and goes out and plays the game.  You don't see him bitching and moaning about getting the ball all the time.  There are a few times where he has given up on a play, but for the most part, he is the last person on this team that I worry about.

Word for word, I wholeheartedly agree.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Chad Johnson was a very talented dumbass, who dumped a Hall of Fame career with his silliness. However, he led the AFC in receiving yards for four straight years, and that is an impressive thing.

But I don't see any reason for complaining about AJ Green. He's a major talent who has done major things. Remember, too, that Chad played his best years with Carson Palmer, who, in his prime, was one of the best pure passers in football. AJ has had no such benefit.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 05:28 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think AJ could suprass Chad long-term, but right now I would take Chad in his prime.  I think after AJ's rookie season everyone was thinking the Bengals had the best WR prospect, perhaps ever.  Some of the plays he made his rookie season were insane.  For whatever reason, I don't see the same "the ball is mine" attitude from him.  And I am not speaking about the preseason game at all.  He seems to get easily frustrated and gives up on routes. 

I still think he is a very, very good WR, but he needs to work on his shortcomings and get more aggressive with the ball in the air. 

No, I don't want him on any other team. 

Yes, Chads prime.. a lot forget how good he was I believe....   he was something!!  Before all the talk..!!
Reply/Quote
The real question is who would you rather replace next year? Green or Dalton? I think it's a pretty easy choice.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 09:32 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: The real question is who would you rather replace next year? Green or Dalton? I think it's a pretty easy choice.

The ideal choice and the more practical choice.
There's a new "next great WR" every year now. 
We had our chance to replace Andy and we botched it. 
Unless there's an actual QB worth taking, no reason to. 
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 04:56 PM)Okeana Wrote: So Ive never spoken on this subject, but I have always had several issues with Green.

1.  He is boring and has zero swagger on or off the field.  I am not saying he needs to be a clown like chad, but most of the best receivers of all time carry themselves with a confidence I find he lacks.

2.  While he has great numbers statistically i feel like they are bloated by a pass attack that feeds him stats and him alone.  

3.  My biggest issue with him is that he just doesn't seem to love football or have a strong desire to be the best.  Maybe this is just a misconception because I know he puts in a lot of off season work, but passion is something very hard to hide and he doesn't show it at all.  Maybe he doesn't like Cincinnati and never wanted to be here in the first place so he has just done enough to get by.  Maybe he just dislikes dalton and feels like he's in purgatory until he can get a new contract with another team.
1. how can you measure confidence? and not agreeing with you, but if he is "boring", it doesn't bother anyone (other than you)

2. didn't the Bengals spread the ball around extremely well in 2013? Dalton gave all his receivers touches, not just Green alone.

3. Once again, how do you measure his passion or desire to be the best? 

It's ok to have an opinion. But to have one with no foundation of an argument is more like a guess.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 09:32 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: The real question is who would you rather replace next year? Green or Dalton? I think it's a pretty easy choice.

Just wish Andy would do better. Ryan Leaf Might be a better choice...
Reply/Quote

Yeah, trade A.J. to upgrade the QB position via draft.

Simple.
Reply/Quote
If there were an NFL fantasy draft today and I had the 1st pick at WR; I'd take AJ.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good God

Here is Bengals fan synopsis

Green: Hot chick that you won't get

Chad: Chick you hit in high school 20 years ago that you can get at the reunion that you close your eyes because you can still imagine how hot it was.

Just stop it, it's 2015 not 2005
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 10:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If there were an NFL fantasy draft today and I had the 1st pick at WR; I'd take AJ.

I love AJ, but I wouldn't even do that. There aren't a lot, but there are a few better than AJ.
[Image: Bch_OOih_CIAARIjw_jpg_large.jpg]
Reply/Quote
He has more good moments then bad moments since he has been. The guy has had 4 straight 1000 yard seasons, 2 years with 10 + TDs, and he has done this with a young QB throwing him the ball. He has lived up to the hype.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 04:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: He has all the skills he needs. i believe....

i doubt all the disconnect(between him and dalton) is just on green
but of daltons 66 career ints 27 have been to green... if they are the main combo here those 2 need to work out whatever disconnect there is and he needs to finish each play.

That video they queued up on MNF show'd some bad routes and plays on AJs part.     but most refuse to see or hear it

There's quite a bit to the Dalton to AJ INTs. First, AJ can get his fingers on balls none of our other receivers will even be able to reach at all. This might work out well in non-contact practice, but in a real game, it's not way to complete passes.

Then there's the highness of the throws. In the playoff game last year there was a INT off AJ's tippy tippy tips of his fingers and AJ jumped amazingly high just to get a finger nail on the ball. So, there's some of that toss it up there and AJ'll grab it to Dalton's throws. I've seen this more than once.

On Monday night, the ball wasn't that high and was very catchable.

Then there's Dalton tendency to get desperate when the offense sputters or something bad happens. Then we really start seeing the bad Andy show up. It's rather predictable.

Teams know very well that if they can stall the Bengals offense early and get a turnover, the game is basically theirs to lose at that point. Tampa did us a favor on Monday cause it shows us how teams are going to want to play the Bengals this year. And they'll continue to do it until the team proves it doesn't work any longer.

Pressure Dalton, knock him around and force some mistake somewhere and the game is well in hand. Hell, if I were coaching another team, that's exactly how I'd attack the Bengals offense.

Are our coaches good enough to fix this? I'm not so sure.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 04:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: He has all the skills he needs. i believe....

i doubt all the disconnect(between him and dalton) is just on green
but of daltons 66 career ints 27 have been to green... if they are the main combo here those 2 need to work out whatever disconnect there is and he needs to finish each play.

That video they queued up on MNF show'd some bad routes and plays on AJs part.     but most refuse to see or hear it

Yes there's also 33 touchdowns, 324 receptions, and 4,735 yards with the Dalton to Green combo. That's actually ranks 1st in NFL history among a quarterback to receiver in their first 4 seasons.

[Image: CNNrBRvVAAAwox3.jpg:large]
Reply/Quote
Mountains out of ant hills.

Par for the fan base.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 09:35 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The ideal choice and the more practical choice.
There's a new "next great WR" every year now. 
We had our chance to replace Andy and we botched it. 
Unless there's an actual QB worth taking, no reason to. 

I'll bite.  What chance to replace Andy do you speak of? 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 03:11 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Are our coaches good enough to fix this? I'm not so sure.

More importantly, can they get Dalton to do what he is forced to do in the games without AJ....distribute the ball to the best option.  With the weapons he has, it should be like the Colts of a few years ago:  Our third option is way better than your third defender.  Don't force it to Green when Haden is sitting in his lap. 

The OC should be preaching this and I loved how it looked in the first preseason game where almost every weapon was targeted once. 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 11:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I'll bite.  What chance to replace Andy do you speak of? 

I'm assuming he meant to not extend Andy and take Teddy Bridgewater in the draft.

He was one of the few QBs over recent years that have looked like he's going to translate to the NFL very well and you wouldn't need a top 10 pick to get him. As we saw last year (well, if you watched the Vikings games), it seems like he was a smart choice and he's likely going to be a great NFL QB in the future.

It's not just a hindsight thing either, the idea of Teddy being very good was thrown around a lot on the old board pre-2014 draft.
Reply/Quote
I have watched AJ as long if not longer than everyone here. He was the same at UGA and in high school as he is here. Same "lack luster" attitude and quiet demeanor. He isn't a flashy guy. He loved UGA, he still goes back and trains there in the off season. He didn't fight any harder for the ball or run any crisper routes when he was there. AJ has gotten by on being more talented that everyone else his entire football career. Not saying he doesn't work to maintain that level of talent, he most certainly does. He just isnt the win or die competitor that Chad was.

But in case you forgot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa5Cppt9heI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxVuILpynk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvg8W50GqSU

and because I love this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2DXPALzcio
BENGALdawg
Reply/Quote
You used Randy Moss as an example in the OP. Even Randy Moss looked lousy with lousy QB's. Then he went to NE and he was breaking records left, right, and center. Would the same happen with A.J. Green having Tom Brady throwing to him? You can still force them the ball and get them some yards, but the point is elite receivers are never going to look as good as they could or should with questionable-armed, mentally weak, one-read QB's who are only accurate if they have a perfect pocket, a wide open receiver, are loaded at every single skill position, etc., and all goes according to plan. 

See also: Tebow Demaryius Thomas vs. Peyton Manning Demaryius Thomas. I don't think Thomas suddenly decided to become elite; I think Peyton legitimately singlehandedly added like 600 yards and a handful of TD's to his stat line and helped make him look elite.
The artist formerly known as Heretic
Reply/Quote