Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Hawk
This isn't a thread to beat him up but I think all of us have to be disappointed in his play and production for 2015.

I had the chance to meet him at Training Camp this year and he was a super nice guy but Im afraid his time in the NFL is coming to a rapid end.

With that being said is PJ Dawson over his head (no pun intended due to his height) or whats the issue with his lack of playing time, he has played sparingly to say the least? Is this good ole Marvin not playing a defensive rookie as we have seen in the past with Dre, Dennard, S Williams, etc?
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 06:59 PM)corpjet Wrote: This isn't a thread to beat him up but I think all of us have to be disappointed in his play and production for 2015.

I had the chance to meet him at Training Camp this year and he was a super nice guy but Im afraid his time in the NFL is coming to a rapid end.

With that being said is PJ Dawson over his head (no pun intended due to his height) or whats the issue with his lack of playing time, he has played sparingly to say the least?  Is this good ole Marvin not playing a defensive rookie as we have seen in the past with Dre, Dennard, S Williams, etc?

I think it is more that PJ is not a SAM (well neither is Hawk) and he is currently not better than the Reys or VB.

Hawk's play has very little to do PJ IMO
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Quick...  Name the last productive SAM LB in the Bengals' defensive system.  It's hard to turn heads when you play 10 snaps or so a game.

The answer was Rey Maualuga.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Hawk's been mostly invisible, which is actually an improvement over my expectations. 31-year-old who got benched after being on the 2014 23rd ranked and 2013 25th ranked run defense? I was expecting a dumpster fire. So he's not been as bad as I expected (granted he's played less snaps than I expected, too).

It's good that Burfict came back though, because if you recall how the defense was playing the first 6 games of the year when they had Lamur/Maualuga/Hawk at LB, it wasn't pretty looking.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 07:21 PM)jason Wrote: Quick...  Name the last productive SAM LB in the Bengals' defensive system.  It's hard to turn heads when you play 10 snaps or so a game.

The answer was Rey Maualuga.

I get that it can be easy to be a fan and say WTF; however, I have no idea why we don't move Maul back to same and roll with VB and Vinny at MLB and WILL
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Didn't hawk get beat on the endzone pass last game?

I thought I saw him getting yelled at.  He got tangled up in a block and didn't get free.

I wonder if he was supposed to drop into coverage.

Anyone know if that was him?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 07:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I get that it can be easy to be a fan and say WTF; however, I have no idea why we don't move Maul back to same and roll with VB and Vinny at MLB and WILL

Me either.  While we are at it, we could maybe replace Vinnie with another LB to get burned by TEs regularly. But...  Yeah.  It seems to me Maualuga played his best football as a rookie.  He's not sharp enough to play the Mike.  It was painfully evident on his interception return yesterday.  That could have gone so wrong.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 07:45 PM)jason Wrote: Me either.  While we are at it, we could maybe replace Vinnie with another LB to get burned by TEs regularly. But...  Yeah.  It seems to me Maualuga played his best football as a rookie.  He's not sharp enough to play the Mike.  It was painfully evident on his interception return yesterday.  That could have gone so wrong.

He makes boneheaded decisions like he did yesterday too often, however, he has played pretty well this season. He has knocked the head off of some rb's this year and has done decent in coverage. IDK, Maualuga has been ok with me this season.
Reply/Quote
Bengals fansto AJ Hawk this offseason:

[Image: 635769810835324577-922053293_When-Woody-...SOBBED.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think Hawk needs to take a more leadership kind of role this week since he's been on successful teams in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Who is this "A.J. Hawk"?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 07:39 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Didn't hawk get beat on the endzone pass last game?

I thought I saw him getting yelled at.  He got tangled up in a block and didn't get free.

I wonder if he was supposed to drop into coverage.

Anyone know if that was him?
It was Hawk,he blew it and he does not impress me at all.He is a liability to me.He always gets there after the fact.He has lost a step and does get beat a lot.Do we have anyone else that could play his position.I mean,I am a huge Ohio state fan,but he is not helping much.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 08:15 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Who is this "A.J. Hawk"?

He was part of the 2015 AJ Initiative, named after their desire to horde all the AJs in the NFL onto one team.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 08:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He was part of the 2015 AJ Initiative, named after their desire to horde all the AJs in the NFL onto one team.

Lol

Reply/Quote
Hawk has never been more than a slightly above average player( if that ) and serves as a stopgap here. I don't look for his return next season but wouldn't be surprised if he did, as a role player. I'm guessing he comes back for camp but doesn't make it onto the 53.

Anyone else notice Maualuga wearing the mic helmet yesterday?
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote