Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ McCarron
(04-24-2023, 11:27 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I remember it very differently from that. 

I remember him scoring 0 points for the first 3 quarters against the 30th ranked passing defense while throwing an INT and fumbling the ball 3 times, giving the Steelers 6 of their 18 points while the Bengals defense put on an absolute masterclass performance in getting turnovers, shutting down the 4th scoring offense, and keeping them in the game despite a lack of offense. McCarron had 56% completion, 5.2 YPA, and a 68.3 QB Rating. The defense (particularly Burfict) absolutely balled out and handed the W to the offense... which Hill then promptly fumbled away.

Seriously???

Quote:The Bengals had just scored the go-ahead touchdown on an AJ McCarron-to-A.J. Green touchdown pass. A play later, an interception by Steelers quarterback Landry Jones (he was in for an injured-at-the-time Ben Roethlisberger) pretty much confirmed that the football gods had finally decided to give Cincy a break.

Good one.
On the very next play, Bengals running back Jeremy Hill fumbled, the Steelers recovered, and because this is the postseason and these are the Bengals, of course Roethlisberger and his injured right shoulder came back onto the field.
It was clear Big Ben couldn't throw the ball more than 10-15 yards, and he spent much of the next 55 seconds tossing screen passes and slants, working the ball to the Bengals' 47-yard line with 22 seconds to go.

And then things went completely sideways. And because this is the postseason and these are the Bengals ... well, you know.

Specifically: Roethlisberger tried to find Antonio Brown downfield on first down, but Vontaze Burfict was flagged for trying to decapitate Brown. It was a brutal hit in a game full of them, and that 15-yard penalty moved the ball to the Bengals' 32-yard-line. That would've been a 49-yard field goal for Steelers first-year kicker Chris Boswell. Certainly not a gimme.

But because this is the postseason and these are the Bengals, there's more: Cincinnati cornerback Adam Jones was flagged moments after Burfict for unsportsmanlike conduct. Fifteen more yards, the ball at the Bengals' 17-yard line, and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin sent Boswell out for the chip-shot 35-yarder.

Which part of McCarron had just scored the go ahead touchdown is confusing you?
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 03:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Seriously???

Which part of McCarron had just scored the go ahead touchdown is confusing you?

The same part where against the 30th ranked pass defense, for 3 quarters he scored 0 points while giving the opposing team 6 points. Even that TD came when the defense forced a 3-and-out and Adam Jones got a great return so the Bengals started the drive on the Steelers side of the field. 

In fact both of the Bengals TDs came when the defense made great plays to get 3-and-outs to give the Bengals the ball on the Steelers side of the field. McCarron was bad. The defense carried him to a W despite his best efforts to throw it away with his INT, 3 Fumbles, and completing barely more than half of his passes for about 5 yards per attempt.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 03:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The same part where against the 30th ranked pass defense, for 3 quarters he scored 0 points while giving the opposing team 6 points. Even that TD came when the defense forced a 3-and-out and Adam Jones got a great return so the Bengals started the drive on the Steelers side of the field. 

In fact both of the Bengals TDs came when the defense made great plays to get 3-and-outs to give the Bengals the ball on the Steelers side of the field. McCarron was bad. The defense carried him to a W despite his best efforts to throw it away with his INT, 3 Fumbles, and completing barely more than half of his passes for about 5 yards per attempt.

The fact is, we won that game, something that hadn't happened in 25 years or so, until Hill fumbled. I'm not advocating to bring McCarron here, but I would rather have him than Allen is all I am saying. 
Reply/Quote
Folks only refer to 3/4 of a game when they try to discredit AJ McCarron got us closer to a playoff win and had a higher playoff passer rating than any Bengal QB between Boomer and Burrow.

I appreciate what he did, but that ship has sailed.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Those were some painful memories conjured up in this thread. That game with the Hill fumble after the game was effectively over was one of a pantheon of painful losses that has checkered my memory of following the Bengals. I really want to have just one season that can erase all those painful losses over the last 50 years.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 10:29 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: McCarron is going to be 33 and we already know he will take a mountain of sacks even behind a good OL. If you're going to sign an XFL QB, at least get one a bit younger. I'd rather give Jordan Te'amu a shot.

This. I even liked what I saw of a few of the USFL QB's over McCarron. Like you said, he holds onto the ball too long still.

Not a fit.

(04-24-2023, 10:32 AM)kalibengal Wrote: yea but his wife is HAWT
but seriously, I think there are some late round QBs that we can mold into a quality back up. 

There is that, hot wif is all he got. Mellow
Reply/Quote