Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Bengals.com Hobson On Bengals After Start Of F/A
Hobson says there is a line Bengals will not go over on paying an offensive guard. Cleveland Browns making Zeitler one of highest paid guards in NFL history ever is way over what Bengals would pay a guard. ( I will add on Max Montoya, Mike Brown said, " Why should I pay an old guard ". He went on to more Pro Bowls as a Raider. Also Steinbach going to Cleveland Browns for more than Bengals feel guards should be paid. ). So no way Bengals would ever pay anybody including Zeitler what Cleveland just paid him to play guard.

Hobson says Bengals wanted to keep Whitworth until LA Rams made a deal that was so high they would not match it.

Hobson says once Rams and Browns went way over what Bengals were willing to pay, Bengals quickly signed Kirkpatrick for what they feel is a fair price for a top cornerback. Plus with Pacman facing possible jail or NFL suspension the Bengals see keeping Kirkpatrick more of a need now. ( I will add, I don't think they liked the idea of him going to Steelers of all teams, Bengals arch enemies, and Dre having a chance to beat us twice a year, every year. I'm sure they remember the bitter sting of Joseph going to Houston as he hurt us bad in two play-off games. Dre at Steelers was nothing team wanted to see )

Hobson says with Kirkpatrick and Lafell signings, don't look for Bengals to do much more in free agency because they are about out of cap money. He says 2 players they may resign are Burkhead at RB, and Winston who is a veteran tackle to be on team with the younger tackles.

So Bengals about done in free agency per Hobson, per about out of cap money. Now I don't expect Pacman on team much longer. Bengals drafting Dennard and Jackson and signing Pacman was pretty much it for Kirkpatrick in Cincy. Bengals now signing Kirkpatrick tells me Pacman pretty much done in Cincy. I have read Bengals can cut him and get out of his contract that way. If that is true, it is exactly what I look for Bengals to do. They may also wait for Pacman to go to jail or get suspended by NFL, but I fail to see how any of that is good for TEAM. If they can just cut him and create cap money, they should do it. Kirkpatrick signed with Dennard and Jackson, all 3 as first round pics is waving good-bye and adios to Pacman.

So at some point Pacman leaving will free up a bunch of money they pay him. That is my opinion. Hobson says for now Bengals about out of cap money and may keep Burkhead and maybe Winson now, but Bengals about done now in free agency. As for the draft, Hobson says don't look for a tackle drafted early because he would be just as untested as Ced. Bengals are set on going with Ced and Fisher at tackles at this point. I say do look for Bengals to take the LSU running back in round one if he is there, because Bengals already say they would. Bengals have a high pick in round 2 that is like a late round 1. I look for Bengals to take a guard in round 1 or 2, because there is solid talent at guard, maybe better than Zeitler as a rookie. There is DeMarco and Zeitler draft pick talent in this draft, so that can start being fixed as early as next month. I will add keeping LaFell and Kirkpatrick makes those positions solid and free's up maybe drafting a linebacker in rounds 1 and 2 and there is great talent for a change at linebacker in this years draft. My hope is that LSU RB goes early and Bengals come away with a LB and a guard early in draft. I think with Hill, Burkhead, Gio we are not that bad at RB and the guard and LB are huge needs areas right now on this team. LB because we have used a band aid in Harrison then Hawk then Dansby, but if we could draft a good LB we can stop kicking the can down the road. Plus, there are good LBs in this draft unlike recent drafts.

I'll add signing Kirkpatrick and Lafell was more than I thought Bengals would do. I expected Zeitler or Whitworth gone and hoping not both, but they are both gone. I think keeping Kirkpatrick with Dennard and Jackson is great considering the deep excrement Pacman is in. I also think keeping LaFell with AJ Green, Boyd, Core, Erickson, Eifert makes that a no needs area in the draft also. The O Line is a huge question now. I think we can get a very good guard in round 1 or early 2 in the draft. If our coaches are worth anything, they should be able to make an O Line out of all this. It will not be easy, but sometimes coaches have to earn their paychecks also. Freeing up all that money paid to Mr. Pacman would help a team now about out of cap money. Bengals did better in F/A than I expected, because I expected the worst. This is better. Besides huge holes at O Line, I expected huge holes at WR and CB also. That is not the case. Those areas very strong. One of the top LBs in draft and one of the top guards in draft in top 41 picks in draft would do wonders for our weak areas. I will then change my mood from doubtful, to hopeful. I want to be hopeful, GO BENGALS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Pathetic. They would have the money if they didn't keep dead Weight on this team. I know Peko is a FA but he should have been cut last year at the latest. Why the hell are we keeping PAC Man? His play last year was pretty bad and now with all the off field drama he should be gone already. Rey Maulauga should have been cut by now. It just goes on and on. Get rid of some of these underachievers to free up money so we can keep the players we have that actually do their job pretty well. I know teams lose good players and you can't always keep your own. I just don't think it's too much to ask to be more pro active with the good players we have rather than waiting till FA to get a deal done. There should be no excuse for what happen today.
Reply/Quote
Meanwhile the pats and Steelers are rumored to guys in free agency, that's what really drives me nuts. There's just no excuse for us, our management sucks
Reply/Quote
This is directly from Hobson's article on the front page entitled "Dre plays on with Bengals. What's next."

"With Kirkpatrick counting about $10 million against the cap this year and wide receiver Brandon LaFell another $5 million, the Bengals only have about $2-3 million for another deal to fit in under the $16-18 million they have budgeted to spend.

That could be running back Rex Burkhead or a linebacker or an offensive lineman out on the market. But anything beyond that and they’ll probably have to start cutting some players. And they won’t sign any unrestricted free agents to avoid harming their haul of compensatory draft picks for 2018. They believe they walked out of Thursday with a third-rounder for Zeitler and a fifth-rounder for Whitworth."

Right now I despise this front office with all of my being. What's most important are 3rd and 5th round comp picks!!!!!!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So they just resigned Winston which is a good signing. If the Ced and Fisher era has begun, then a solid veteran back-up like Winston at tackle is needed. So Kirkpatrick, LaFell and Winston resigned. I still think Burkhead resigned at some point. Whitworth and Zeitler were offered some huge contracts that Bengals felt way over priced. I even have to wonder if Zeitler is the best guard ever in NFL history, because that is how he is now paid. The highest paid NFL guard ever. No, I don't think he is better than Jerry Kramer or Gene Upshaw or even Max Montoya. The Rams and Browns went crazy on spending. I am happy they resigned Kirkpatrick, Lafell and Winston. I think we can keep Burkhead pretty cheap, he's not a super star. If we get an extra 3rd and 5th round pick, nothing wrong in that. I see us getting a guard as good or better than Zeitler. Maybe that linebacker we've needed to draft. This could be a draft that actually moves us towards Super Bowl, not away from it. I'll add that due to injuries, we have not seen Ced or Jackson as the players they might become and Dennard may be about ready to show why he was a top pick.

There are a couple of guards in this draft as good as the draft of Demarco and Zeitler and so look for a top new guard in April and Zeitler may not even be missed that much. It would be nice to see a guard and a linebacker of first round ability added, and that can be done since we draft so early in round 2. We can use the extra picks. We did not lose everybody as I feared. We lost 2 top players but we kept Kirkpatrick, LaFell and Winston. Ced and Fisher in the house. Draft a monster guard and other needs and get out there in 2017 with Dalton hitting Green, LaFell, Eifert, Boyd and Atkins and Dunlap on D and lets win the AFC North....It would help to have a kicker who can make extra points this year. For some reason NFL kickers were freaked out by new NFL extra point, especially Nugent. I would say the answer is for NFL kickers to practice the new extra point over and over until it becomes as automatic as it should be. Of course I say this about bunting in baseball or basketball free throws, all things games are won or lost on. Bengals more than any team needs a huge upgrade at kicker in 2017. We lost key games on missed extra points, not acceptable.

I will now change my mood from doubtful to hopeful since not all free agents were lost. Hopeful in what these early draft picks bring. Hopeful in Ced, Fisher and Winston. Hopeful in Kirkpatrick, Dennard and Jackson. Very hopeful in Dalton to AJ Green, Lafell, Eifert, Boyd.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I don't think burkhead is coming back, I think they should at least sign one guy elsewhere like connor barwin instead of hunt, or mangold. Maybe Zach brown linebacker. There's also some receivers like stevie Johnson could he be the deep threat we need?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 06:47 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I don't think burkhead is coming back, I think they should at least sign one guy elsewhere like connor barwin instead of hunt, or mangold. Maybe Zach brown linebacker. There's also some receivers like stevie Johnson could he be the deep threat we need?

Bengals Fans may be surprised how little interest other teams have in Burkhead and McCarron.  What has either really done. Plus teams can draft younger. I doubt NFL teams see these guys as the franchise RB or franchise QB to build their teams around.  It's great Bengal Fans love them, but I don't see Burkhead getting offered the mega bucks, or McCarron either.  The idea that some team will trade us a top pick for McCarron is pretty wild also.  If Burkhead is back, fine. If not, I think we can draft a late round RB as good or better than Burkhead.   I think he will be back. The longer free agency goes, he will back. Most teams seek their RB answers in The Draft. The Bengals are even looking at RB's in the draft. It's a spot a rookie can make a quick impact at, as opposed to some positions that take years to learn. Rookies have the young fresh legs and knees, that is in their favor. Paul Robinson, Ickey Woods, Corey Dillon. Rudi, Bernard, Hill, were able to be fresh young legs their rookie years. I will add Elliott going from Ohio State to Dallas. RB is a position where youth is often a plus, not a negative. The longer Burkhead goes not signed, the more likely he will be back at a low contract.

We are set at WR right now. That and CB is now not a needs area. As for linebacker, Reuben Foster-Alabama. Do not be surprised if he soon isn't wearing Bengals Uniform. A top guard early also to step in so fans can say " Zeitler Who ? ". If we have two picks in 3, one on four and two in 5, the team can get needed help at D Line, O Line, RB.

I agree with Hobson that Bengals about done in this part of free agency. I see them now looking to the draft. This does not mean Bengals won't be watching to see who teams cut in Spring and Summer and watch that waiver wire as they have in past.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
This is something for you guys to wrap your head around!

Offensive only we have Dalton,Green coming off injury, Eifert coming off injury has he ever had a injury free season,Hill coming off injury, Bernard coming off injury,Boyd,and an offensive line that gave up 41 sacks with Whitworth and Zeitler only having 1 of those sacks now we're​ with out those two.
We were rank the #4 offense in the NFL in 2015 season now we are ranked #26 so we have a ton of injured guys and a ton of unproven guys and two inept guys in Bodine and Ogbuehi it doesn't look good offensive

Defensively we have Atkins, Burfict, Dunlap, Kirkpatrick,Jones in jail or suspended, Iloka ,Williams both SS in the box guys as starters no real FS cover safety, Mauluga is one of the worst MLB in the NFL,M Johnson is getting worst every year and the rest are unproven guys or below average guys !
They had a hard time getting to the QB and couldn't stop the run as good as they used too! Their rankings went down also so we are headed in the wrong direction on both sides of the ball!

Zombie mood once you're bitten the infection spreads quickly!
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 07:00 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: This is directly from Hobson's article on the front page entitled "Dre plays on with Bengals.  What's next."

"With Kirkpatrick counting about $10 million against the cap this year and wide receiver Brandon LaFell another $5 million, the Bengals only have about $2-3 million for another deal to fit in under the $16-18 million they have budgeted to spend.

That could be running back Rex Burkhead or a linebacker or an offensive lineman out on the market. But anything beyond that and they’ll probably have to start cutting some players. And they won’t sign any unrestricted free agents to avoid harming their haul of compensatory draft picks for 2018. They believe they walked out of Thursday with a third-rounder for Zeitler and a fifth-rounder for Whitworth."

Right now I despise this front office with all of my being.  What's most important are 3rd and 5th round comp picks!!!!!!!

Fun fact: The Bengals still have $27 million left to use for this free agency.

If they were to cut Maualuga and Pacman, that would add another $10 million right there.

Pacman is making the 4th most on this roster. 4th. Most.

Rey Maualuga is making more than 4 of our 5 starting offensive lineman.

Kevin Zeitler is making about $12 million a year. So that puts us at $15 million if we don't cut anyone. Okay.

Whitworth is making $9 million this year. So that would put us at $6 million. Cut those 2 players, we're back at $16 million.

Or you just sign Whitworth, and we're at that $16 million.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't understand how, every year, Hobson tries to gaslight us into thinking the Bengals have less cap space then we actually do.

The Bengals have been doing Alternative Facts long before the White House was.
Reply/Quote