Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
AJ McCarron is a future star
(07-13-2015, 03:41 AM)BayouBengal Wrote: McElroy was never going to be anything but a clipboard holder in the NFL and still he got in a Jets game and saved it from Sanchez destruction. I did watch every Bama game with both Mc's in them. Both QB's were better than they get credit for being (I mean if Bama can recruit the best of the best at every other position why wouldn't they get a good pro style QB too?) but in all honesty McCarron was much better than McElroy. My dads a huge Bama fan who will record every game and rewatch them over and over. I can distinctly remember him talking about this "next guy" that they had referring to McCarron just after they won their first national championship. I've had my eye on him ever since and he's always been impressive. He also has the right size and personality for the NFL which McElroy did not.

The Bengals drafting him so cheaply was just amazing news to me. I didn't even watch the draft but was excited when I heard. Now that a few articles have come out suggesting he's doing well, I wanted to be the first to give my expose on this guy. This is the first pre-season that I'm excited to watch in a long time maybe ever. 

I agree the fifth round was a pretty damn good deal.  As for the QB question and Bama.....they just don't need an all world guy to carry the team.  Is the success of the Tide's QBs a product of the system? So far, yes.  The jury is still out on McCarron......super hot trophy girlfriend nothwithstanding.....Smirk

Welcome to the new board!  

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 02:04 AM)BayouBengal Wrote: IDK why I bothered trying to not make this a Dalton vs. McCarron thread. I just wanted to express my excitement that the Bengals drafted AJ a guy whose college career I followed closely and I believe was underrated. He did have an ESPN mag cover though so its hard to say underrated but strictly from a QB perspective he was overshadowed by the all-americans around him. But he was an All-American too! I literally joined this board because I wanted to predict that Bengals fandom will rave about this guy after the pre-season.

Couldn't agree more. And let me say that I hope AJ isn't thrown in too fast just because Andy is faltering. That could be bad for him. But he could be a great starter in a few years with a more consistent QBR. Best case scenario is that he becomes as competent as Dalton right about the time that Dalton's contract becomes untenable.

How can a discussion regarding the backup QB not be tied to the starting QB?  He only plays if Dalton isn't playing. 
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 01:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Instead of just name-calling perhaps you could post a link to these "lot's of people saying he won't be any good".

All I saw was one post by a member saying he is not optimistic.  I don't see how that fits the definition of "lots of people".

Pretty much everyone else is saying they need to see him do something good before the predict he will be any good.  That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Actually OSUFan fits your description, he hates the SEC and states that McCarron is a crappy system Qb that had NFL level talent all around him and has no chance to make it in the NFL.

Also at this point no fan (other than those that went to minicamp) has seen him do anything yet, other than his coaches and fellow players (which are both giving some seriously good praise for him).
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 06:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Don't think that's it. Bengal fans have been optimistic about a number of draft choices and others brought in here to possibly be backup QB (LaFevre, Scott, Wilson, ect..). The "hate" for AJ was almost immediate. I wish we still had access to the draft day thread. I was amazed at the rush of "he'll never be anything" posts.

I don't know if it's SEC hate, Alabama hate, Andy love, girlfriend hate, tattoos, or folks just don't like the guy. I think the closest to it I've sen is when we picked up Burfict.

Jeremy Hill got a ton of hate when he was drafted. A lot of people wanted Hyde, and a lot of Gio fans felt their boy's touches were in danger. 

I'm not sure I've ever seen people bash a 2nd round pick more. Hardly anyone acted excited about him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 02:52 AM)Wyche Wrote: .......but when we compared the two Mc's stats in the years they started on the old board, they were very similar.  \

Their last 2 years as starters McCarron threw for over 500 more yards and 20 more TDs than McElroy. What is similar about those stats?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 02:24 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Also at this point no fan (other than those that went to minicamp) has seen him do anything yet, other than his coaches and fellow players (which are both giving some seriously good praise for him).

Sorry, But I still remember when the Bengals defensive players claimed Armon Binns was unstoppable.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 02:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm not sure I've ever seen people bash a 2nd round pick more. Hardly anyone acted excited about him.

Exactly.  Many people wanted Mallett.  very few people felt positive about Dalton when he was drafted.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 02:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Their last 2 years as starters McCarron threw for over 500 more yards and 20 more TDs than McElroy. What is similar about those stats?

Meh.....I laid it all out over there.....the TD discrepancy has a lot to do with Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson in the same backfield in '09......but you knew that, didn't you?

Truth is, neither was all that impressive, and McCarron had better recievers.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 10:01 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Good college QB, for sure, but I want to see him play a bit in the NFL first before I declare him a future star.

This x2
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 09:10 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree the fifth round was a pretty damn good deal.  As for the QB question and Bama.....they just don't need an all world guy to carry the team.  Is the success of the Tide's QBs a product of the system? So far, yes.  The jury is still out on McCarron......super hot trophy girlfriend nothwithstanding.....Smirk

Welcome to the new board!  

Seems we all forget that one qb taken 499. Got his chance when bledsoe, got hurt and no one has ever looked back. Not saying that AJ is capable of that, but who kmows?  
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 07:20 PM)Se ky bengal Wrote: Seems we all forget that one qb taken 499. Got his chance when bledsoe, got hurt and no one has ever looked back. Not saying that AJ is capable of that, but who kmows?  

You realize that scenario has happened a grand total of ONE time in NFL history, right?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 07:24 PM)EatonFan Wrote: You realize that scenario has happened a grand total of ONE time in NFL history, right?

Well.....yeah...
What are the odds that a QB that is drafted at exactly at 499 would take over for a guy named Bledsoe ?
I'm willing to put a ton of money on the fact that it never happens again.
Smirk
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 07:46 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Well.....yeah...
What are the odds that a QB that is drafted at exactly at 499 would take over for a guy named Bledsoe ?
Smirk

Never is a pretty long time.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 09:19 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't think this list is really helping your cause. Starting NFL QB's are pretty rare period for college teams. Narrowing it down to a single conference is going to limit it even further, yet there's still a good amount of good QB's from the SEC starting in the NFL right now.

How many QB's from the PAC-12, BIG 10, ACC, etc are currently NFL starters? I'm betting less than 6.

And 4 of the 6 you quoted are no better than AD has ever been and I'd say AD is better than Eli now.  So you cherry picked 6, 4 of which don't qualify as better than AD meaning 2 QB from the SEC are better than AD.  I'm betting the Big 10 and Pac 10 can do better than "2 starting QB's better than AD".  Thus I'd say Murdock's original post hold fairly well.

As for the OP - plz. Let's see him throw his pass first in a fake game before we anoint him.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 12:22 PM)Stewy Wrote: 1. And 4 of the 6 you quoted are no better than AD has ever been and I'd say AD is better than Eli now.  So you cherry picked 6, 4 of which don't qualify as better than AD meaning 2 QB from the SEC are better than AD.  I'm betting the Big 10 and Pac 10 can do better than "2 starting QB's better than AD".  Thus I'd say Murdock's original post hold fairly well.

2. As for the OP - plz.  Let's see him throw his pass first in a fake game before we anoint him.

1. Do you know what "cherry picked" means? He was showing all of the starting QBs from the SEC. Nothing "cherry picked" about it, those are just the names of every QB that's starting on an NFL team that played in the SEC.

Both Mannings are better than Andy. Most people would consider Newton better, and Tannehill, Stafford, and Cutler are all arguable. With that said, it really has nothing to do with whether those guys are better than Andy or not, Shake was refuting the claim that the SEC doesn't produce quality QBs. There are only 32 starters in the NFL, and whether you like it or not, all 6 in question either are or were considered franchise QBs in their prime with contracts and production that backed it up. When almost 20% of NFL starters are from 1 conference, I'd say it's pretty ridiculous to claim said conference doesn't produce NFL quality players, no?

2. I'm all for that as long as the same people that wish to see him play first can hold off on bashing him or claiming that he's not going to be very good. I think calling him a future star is quite overboard, but it's kind of crazy how some people seemingly get VERY upset at the notion of him being any good. I believe someone has pointed it out, but I've definitely seen quite a bit of blind nuthugging of backup QBs in Cincinnati over the last 10 years, it's not like any backup would get this same treatment.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 08:05 PM)McC Wrote: Never is a pretty long time.

Yeah, I know.
But you have to admit, those are some pretty tough qualifiers.
Smirk
Reply/Quote
What are we basing McCarrons NFL career on

He was an alabama star so i think its more of a past star.

Id wait to see if he ever gets a shot to start for anyteam before i would clamer about him being a future star.

Unless this about that old addage about when you die you become a star in the heavens.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 07:46 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Well.....yeah...
Smirk

I believe your right unless they extend the draft many more rounds the chances of a 499 draft pick are exactly 0.000%
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 01:06 PM)djs7685 Wrote: 1. Do you know what "cherry picked" means? He was showing all of the starting QBs from the SEC. Nothing "cherry picked" about it, those are just the names of every QB that's starting on an NFL team that played in the SEC.

Both Mannings are better than Andy. Most people would consider Newton better, and Tannehill, Stafford, and Cutler are all arguable. With that said, it really has nothing to do with whether those guys are better than Andy or not, Shake was refuting the claim that the SEC doesn't produce quality QBs. There are only 32 starters in the NFL, and whether you like it or not, all 6 in question either are or were considered franchise QBs in their prime with contracts and production that backed it up. When almost 20% of NFL starters are from 1 conference, I'd say it's pretty ridiculous to claim said conference doesn't produce NFL quality players, no?

2. I'm all for that as long as the same people that wish to see him play first can hold off on bashing him or claiming that he's not going to be very good. I think calling him a future star is quite overboard, but it's kind of crazy how some people seemingly get VERY upset at the notion of him being any good. I believe someone has pointed it out, but I've definitely seen quite a bit of blind nuthugging of backup QBs in Cincinnati over the last 10 years, it's not like any backup would get this same treatment.

Exactly. Thank you.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 04:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly. Thank you.

If you're someone that believes that all 6 of those guys are top 20 QBs and that a top 20 guy is a "franchise QB", that would mean that 30% of franchise QBs in the NFL right now came out of the SEC.

The way I just portrayed it shows the most SEC-bias as I don't know if you could go much further for those 6 guys than saying they all fit in the top 20, but no matter how you look at the numbers, it makes it basically impossible to say the SEC doesn't produce NFL ready QBs compared to other conferences.
Reply/Quote