Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking at this season's free agent signings, Glenn's salary not that big
I thought I'd check out some of the signing figures this year for some of the players and here they are:

Nate Solder - $62M for 4 years. That's $15.5M per year average with $35M guaranteed.

Sammy Watkins - $48M for 3 years, $30M guaranteed. That's $16M per year average.

Malcolm Butler - $61M for 5 years, $30M guaranteed, $12.2M per year average.

Carlos Hyde - $15M for 3 years, $5M per year average.

AJ McCarron - $10M for 2 years. About enough to get the Bengals a 5th round comp pick.

Kirk Cousins - estimated at $86M for 3 years. That's over $28M per year.

Glenn will make $11.25M this year, $9.25M next year and $9.5M in 2020.

Me thinks we should extend Atkins and Dunlap sooner rather than later.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Adkins and Dunlap ain't gonna get cheaper especially if they have great seasons this upcoming season .. That much is guaranteed .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 11:45 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I thought I'd check out some of the signing figures this year for some of the players and here they are:

Nate Solder - $62M for 4 years. That's $15.5M per year average with $35M guaranteed.

Sammy Watkins - $48M for 3 years, $30M guaranteed. That's $16M per year average.

Malcolm Butler - $61M for 5 years, $30M guaranteed, $12.2M per year average.

Carlos Hyde - $15M for 3 years, $5M per year average.

AJ McCarron - $10M for 2 years. About enough to get the Bengals a 5th round comp pick.

Kirk Cousins - estimated at $86M for 3 years. That's over $28M per year.

Glenn will make $11.25M this year, $9.25M next year and $9.5M in 2020.

Me thinks we should extend Atkins and Dunlap sooner rather than later.

That was part of the brilliance with this trade. We didn't overpay to offensive line help, and we got one of the better left tackles in the league under contract for the next 3 years.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
yellowxdiscipline Wrote:That was part of the brilliance with this trade. We didn't overpay to offensive line help, and we got one of the better left tackles in the league under contract for the next 3 years.

Agreed.  When you consider how hard it is to land a stud LT (even with a mild injury), Cincy didn't have to negotiate with him and he doesn't sound unhappy.  It's also comp pick friendly and you aren't forced to move a player out of their best position or start a rookie that isn't ready.....again.   
Reply/Quote
I expect Geno's deal to clock in somewhere between 15-16 million per year when it gets redone. Structure wise I am thinking we go more guaranteed than normal to keep Geno from pushing for something closer to Suh's now old deal of 19 per year. This basically is an increase of 5-6 million a year against our cap from his current number. Dunlap is a little tougher to gauge because ends are valued for various things for various teams, fans like to pigeon hole ends into sack numbers but there is more to it than that. I think we see a deal somewhere between 10-12 million per year for Dunlap slating him in the same area as like Cameron Jordan and Michael Bennett, but still below the elite class of rushers who are in the mid to high teens. This would be another 3-5 Million increase on the cap per year.

The thing no one really wants to talk about is the giant pink elephant in the room, Andy Dalton's contract. While Dalton gives off the appearance of a "team guy" this FA round has got to have him and his agent seriously discussing options. He is now the 21st highest paid QB in the league, but the 3rd lowest non rookie contract QB ahead of only Taylor (slightly) and McCowan (maybe not even a starter). I think the team still likes him, with that in mind I could see an extension, or restructuring even, to move more money up front to make him happy and get him more aligned with the current QB market.
Reply/Quote
Free agency prices are always insane.

Because, for a team that needs a LT and no other answers, their options are:
a. Nate Solder
b. A low quality free agent you're hoping will have a career year
c. The draft

If you don't want to have to draft a LT, you either overpay for Solder (because you're competing with every other team that needs an LT), or you go bargain bin shopping.

And Solder (and his agents) know this.

Free agency is ****** up for this exact reason.

It's like a housing market where there is one house with nice finishes and bright rooms, a few houses that you'll need to spend 6 months renovating to hopefully match the first house's finishes (but no guarantees) and 10 crack houses.

That first house is going for over asking price every time.

I am very content with Glenn's price tag.
Reply/Quote
That Sammy Watkins deal was insane.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 11:36 AM)Au165 Wrote: I expect Geno's deal to clock in somewhere between 15-16 million per year when it gets redone. Structure wise I am thinking we go more guaranteed than normal to keep Geno from pushing for something closer to Suh's now old deal of 19 per year. This basically is an increase of 5-6 million a year against our cap from his current number. Dunlap is a little tougher to gauge because ends are valued for various things for various teams, fans like to pigeon hole ends into sack numbers but there is more to it than that. I think we see a deal somewhere between 10-12 million per year for Dunlap slating him in the same area as like Cameron Jordan and Michael Bennett, but still below the elite class of rushers who are in the mid to high teens. This would be another 3-5 Million increase on the cap per year.

The thing no one really wants to talk about is the giant pink elephant in the room, Andy Dalton's contract. While Dalton gives off the appearance of a "team guy" this FA round has got to have him and his agent seriously discussing options. He is now the 21st highest paid QB in the league, but the 3rd lowest non rookie contract QB ahead of only Taylor (slightly) and McCowan (maybe not even a starter). I think the team still likes him, with that in mind I could see an extension, or restructuring even, to move more money up front to make him happy and get him more aligned with the current QB market.

Dunlap and Geno contracts could be why the rumor of burfict trade is going on.

As for Dalton he could be making more if he helped the team get to a win in any of those playoff appearances..  but I'm sure we will have to pony up soon with more money for him. (which could be why people think we will draft a QB high this draft)
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 11:44 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It's like a housing market where there is one house with nice finishes and bright rooms, a few houses that you'll need to spend 6 months renovating to hopefully match the first house's finishes (but no guarantees) and 10 crack houses.

It really gets bad when there are NO good houses on the market but there is more than one person who needs a house really badly.

Free agents don't get paid based on where they rank among all the players at their position.  They get paid based on where they rank among all the players at their position available in free agency. 

Some years there are multiple good OTs available and players get reasonable contracts.  Other years there are no good OTs available and one or more OTs get grossly overpaid.

This i9s another good reason why it is best to try and re-sign your best players instead of depending on free agency.
Reply/Quote
Great signing and a great price. None of these tackles are a reliable pick in the first round.

The only downside is that it reduces the free agency dollars that the Bengals were going to spend. Now they only have $5 million or so left....
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 11:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It really gets bad when there are NO good houses on the market but there is more than one person who needs a house really badly.

Free agents don't get paid based on where they rank among all the players at their position.  They get paid based on where they rank among all the players at their position available in free agency. 

Some years there are multiple good OTs available and players get reasonable contracts.  Other years there are no good OTs available and one or more OTs get grossly overpaid.

This i9s another good reason why it is best to try and re-sign your best players instead of depending on free agency.

By trading down for Cordy Glenn the Bengals bypassed this current Tackle market. Glenn may be just as good as Nate Solder making the Bengals trade down move a bargain by comparison.

Maybe we see more of these Cordy Glenn style trades from the Bengals here and there going forward.

It was a shrewd move by the Bengals Front Office.

Encouraging...
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 11:25 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: That was part of the brilliance with this trade. We didn't overpay to offensive line help, and we got one of the better left tackles in the league under contract for the next 3 years.

It is the trade that keeps on giving. Good LT's are hard to find nowadays, Glenn played next to Boling at Georgia, Pollack is here
now to work with him, Glenn would of arguably been paid more than Solder if he was a FA, Glenn had his bone spurs removed so
he should be ready to go etc.
Reply/Quote
It always amazes me how so many people (including myself) think these players are going to get so much less in FA than they actually get.
As Sean McVay said, you're going to have to "overpay" for good players in free agency. Sure, they might not be the best (or at least top 5) at their position, but they are going to look to get paid like it.

Is Sammy Watkins really on the same level as AJ Green and Julio Jones right now? No, but he's getting paid more than AJ and Julio because that's how FA works.
Same with Kirk Cousins.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote