Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ McCarron's options?
Keenum to Denver, Bradford to Arizona, Cousins likely to Minnesota, Bridgewater on NYJ radar. That leaves Buffalo who is looking for a QB with that #11 pick they got from us. There is silence surrounding him and teams If he can't start does he settle for another back-up job? Or does he stay with the Bengals in the role? Does the team even want him at this point?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
So Denver, Minny, Cleveland, Arizona have all locked up their starting QB questions.

I believe Jets are locking down Teddy Bridgewater as we speak.

So does the AJ McCarron grievance even matter now?

What are the chances AJ resigns a short term deal with the Bengals this year?

I for one would love to have him back.

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
If I am his agent I call up Miami and see how seriously they would consider an open competition with Tannehill. Otherwise I stand pat and wait for the first QB to go down. It seems the last couple years a QB has gone down in the summer which could give him a chance as the first guy off the bench to a team in the hunt who needs someone.
Reply/Quote
Yeah I'd say his best bet right now is to go into next season unemployed and see what happens. QBs will inevitably go down and teams will inevitably panic.

Hope he's been saving.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Goes to show everyone he’s not that good
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:19 PM)Trademark Wrote: Goes to show everyone he’s not that good

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. I think it shows he's one of the more unproven quarterbacks vying for a starting spot somewhere. 

My guess he ends up on a team looking to draft a QB of the future (or that recently drafted on that hasn't worked out yet), and using AJM to hold the spot for a season or two. Works for both parties while they coach up a QB and AJM gets a chance to show a team he can play.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: If I am his agent I call up Miami and see how seriously they would consider an open competition with Tannehill. Otherwise I stand pat and wait for the first QB to go down. It seems the last couple years a QB has gone down in the summer which could give him a chance as the first guy off the bench to a team in the hunt who needs someone.

This.

This is the most likely scenario. I wouldn't hate it if he came back but I'm sure he and his agent realize it's a smart idea to wait this out 
Reply/Quote
He'll probably wait it out.  I'd love it if he came back here, but I doubt that happens.

Then there's this:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/13/17020272/aj-mccarron-nfl-free-agency-2018-cincinnati-bengals

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:19 PM)Trademark Wrote: Goes to show everyone he’s not that good

or simply a bad year to be what amounts to an unproven free agent.  When has there ever been this deep of a free agent QB class?

Reply/Quote
I'd think someone would kick Foles tires before McCarron's.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:30 PM)pally Wrote: or simply a bad year to be what amounts to an unproven free agent.  When has there ever been this deep of a free agent QB class?

Deep free agent class?
Kirk Cousins. Sam Bradford. Case Keenum. Teddy Bridgewater.
Three of those players are 30. And then there's Bridgewater.
Two of those players have trouble being healthy.

Keenum has only thrown for over 10 TDs once in his career.
Bridgewater has never thrown for 15 TDs.

It's not all that deep. It's 4 QBs, one is a good quarterback, the other 3 were all on the same team.

McCarron never had a big market. If anything he would have been viewed as a bridge QB. Bengals fans hype him up quite a bit.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:37 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Deep free agent class?

It's not all that deep. It's 4 QBs, one is a good quarterback, the other 3 were all on the same team.

McCarron never had a big market. If anything he would have been viewed as a bridge QB. Bengals fans hype him up quite a bit.

The class started with Brees, Garoppolo, Cousins, Keenum, McCarron, Bridgewater, Bradford.... with a backup tier of McCown/Fitzpatrick/Moore/Cutler.

That's probably the deepest a QB FA class has ever been. That's 7 legit starting QBs, a handful of quality backups, and then Taylor was available in trade.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:37 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Deep free agent class?

Deep is relative. In no year has there been as many QB's with real starting experience all available at the same time. See Mike Glennon last year being the hot FA QB.
Reply/Quote
His best deal will likely be right back here holding that clipboard
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 05:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: His best deal will likely be right back here holding that clipboard

Can we change the rules in NFL and say if you hold clipboard you get $10 per day in salary, you need to see the field in order to make money further than that. If you are someone like Eifert who has to stay at home and learn about the team via NFL2K18, you must pay $10 per day to the team as rental for the video game for the year.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 05:07 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Can we change the rules in NFL and say if you hold clipboard you get $10 per day in salary, you need to see the field in order to make money further than that. If you are someone like Eifert who has to stay at home and learn about the team via NFL2K18, you must pay $10 per day to the team as rental for the video game for the year.

Not if you want anyone in a backup quarterback role..... Facepalm
McCarron was smart not to burn bridges behind him.....
Reply/Quote
McCown resigns with Jets

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 05:07 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Can we change the rules in NFL and say if you hold clipboard you get $10 per day in salary, you need to see the field in order to make money further than that. If you are someone like Eifert who has to stay at home and learn about the team via NFL2K18, you must pay $10 per day to the team as rental for the video game for the year.

Hey dude.... backup QB is like the best job in the NFL....   Min your getting around 500k a year.  Not taking the wear and tear.  Not much pressure on you even if you gotta play.

then you can bounce around team to team...... 

Now you don't get the glory.... But you get the cash
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 05:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: His best deal will likely be right back here holding that clipboard

This board needs him back here.

That’s internet gold right there.
Reply/Quote
I don't see him coming back. Honestly, I don't want him back. If the Bengals we to re-sign him, free agency is damn sure over. He's not coming back at league minimum and I don't see why we should pay him a few million to ride the pine when there are more pressing needs. Let him find what he can find and draft a late round back up QB or roll with Driskel.
Reply/Quote