Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ McCarron's options?
(03-13-2018, 05:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Hey dude.... backup QB is like the best job in the NFL....   Min your getting around 500k a year.  Not taking the wear and tear.  Not much pressure on you even if you gotta play.

then you can bounce around team to team...... 

Now you don't get the glory.... But you get the cash

And you can play until you're about 40 and retire with a nest egg and very few scars and if you so desire, have a leg up on going into coaching.  How many former backup QB's are HC's in the league right now?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The class started with Brees, Garoppolo, Cousins, Keenum, McCarron, Bridgewater, Bradford.... with a backup tier of McCown/Fitzpatrick/Moore/Cutler.

That's probably the deepest a QB FA class has ever been. That's 7 legit starting QBs, a handful of quality backups, and then Taylor was available in trade.

Garoppolo signed a week after the Super Bowl.
Taylor was made available is trade, as was Garoppolo.

And McCarron is in the backup tier.

So, the Saints, Jets, Vikings, Browns, Cardinals, Broncos, Bills, and 49ers all needed quarterbacks.
And, every single one of them besides the Bills have signed (or re-signed) a quarterback.
So 7 teams picked 7 different quarterbacks than McCarron.
And Jets are looking into signing Bridgewater as well.
And by all accords the Bills are all in on drafting a quarterback, so that's their focus for the future.

(03-13-2018, 04:54 PM)Au165 Wrote: Deep is relative. In no year has there been as many QB's with real starting experience all available at the same time. See Mike Glennon last year being the hot FA QB.

And maybe that's a good reason why teams aren't going to sign a quarterback with a small sample size who wasn't all that amazing.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
What happened to the AJ MCarron ball washers in Bengaldom? Guess he wasn’t that hot of a commodity after all. Not even Uncle Hue came calling.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 06:28 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Garoppolo signed a week after the Super Bowl.
Taylor was made available is trade, as was Garoppolo.

And McCarron is in the backup tier.

So, the Saints, Jets, Vikings, Browns, Cardinals, Broncos, Bills, and 49ers all needed quarterbacks.
And, every single one of them besides the Bills have signed (or re-signed) a quarterback.
So 7 teams picked 7 different quarterbacks than McCarron.
And Jets are looking into signing Bridgewater as well.
And by all accords the Bills are all in on drafting a quarterback, so that's their focus for the future.

Oh, don't get me wrong. My post wasn't pro-McCarron or anything. I was simply disputing your assertion that it wasn't a deep QB FA class. Even if you remove Garoppolo, and move McCarron to the backup tier, that's still 5 legitimate starting QBs in a single FA class, and 4-5 good backups.

Remember what 2017's QB FA looked like? Brian Hoyer, Mike Glennon, Colin Kaepernick, and RG3 were the "top" tier.

So yeah, it was a very deep QB FA this year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:11 PM)pally Wrote: Keenum to Denver, Bradford to Arizona, Cousins likely to Minnesota, Bridgewater on NYJ radar.  That leaves Buffalo who is looking for a QB with that #11 pick they got from us.  There is silence surrounding him and teams If he can't start does he settle for another back-up job?  Or does he stay with the Bengals in the role?  Does the team even want him at this point?

I like Driskel better from what we saw last year honestly. I really don't even care if we bring back McCarron either way.

Didn't like how he seemed to mail it in last year.
Reply/Quote
I imagine AJ will sign with someone in the next week and for good money.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 06:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Driskel better from what we saw last year honestly. I really don't even care if we bring back McCarron either way.

Didn't like how he seemed to mail it in last year.

I liked what I saw also! Getting busted up didn't help him get past AJ on the depth chart.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 05:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Hey dude.... backup QB is like the best job in the NFL....   Min your getting around 500k a year.  Not taking the wear and tear.  Not much pressure on you even if you gotta play.

then you can bounce around team to team...... 

Now you don't get the glory.... But you get the cash

Yeah, that may just be the case.  However, starting QBs go down every year.  Now, if you're the backup, it's time that you've got to be the man.  Even worse if that backup is on a team that had championship aspirations.

Now, using that analogy, let's take a look at McCarron.  The Bengals were a team with Championship aspirations in 2015, check.  The starter went down, check.  AJ was suddenly "The Man", check.

How did he do?  Hmm, his raw numbers weren't all that bad, but the team's offensive production went down by a third.  Result?  Another one and done.

My verdict?  We should kick Tobin in the nuts for not driving AJ to Cleveland that day, last year, with all the paperwork in hand.  Wink
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 07:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, that may just be the case.  However, starting QBs go down every year.  Now, if you're the backup, it's time that you've got to be the man.  Even worse if that backup is on a team that had championship aspirations.

Now, using that analogy, let's take a look at McCarron.  The Bengals were a team with Championship aspirations in 2015, check.  The starter went down, check.  AJ was suddenly "The Man", check.

How did he do?  Hmm, his raw numbers weren't all that bad, but the team's offensive production went down by a third.  Result?  Another one and done.

My verdict?  We should kick Tobin in the nuts for not driving AJ to Cleveland that day, last year, with all the paperwork in hand.  Wink

You forgot to add "Fax Machine" with all the paperwork in hand!!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 06:58 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I imagine AJ will sign with someone in the next week and for good money.

Bills are looking like his last hope if he wants a job where he is slotted as the starter from day 1, and probably only as a bridge for whoever they draft.  Otherwise he will end up some place competing for a job for less money.  Given bad knee Sam Bradford got picked up before him and Josh McCown re-signed with the Jets who are also apparently showing interest in Bridgewater, I guess he wasn't that highly valued.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 07:26 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Bills are looking like his last hope if he wants a job where he is slotted as the starter from day 1, and probably only as a bridge for whoever they draft.  Otherwise he will end up some place competing for a job for less money.  Given bad knee Sam Bradford got picked up before him and Josh McCown re-signed with the Jets who are also apparently showing interest in Bridgewater, I guess he wasn't that highly valued.

I think that is probably a safe assumption George.
Reply/Quote
I'd take him back in a heart beat.

And post about how he needs to start the first time Dalton throws the ball away on a crucial play with the game on the line.
Reply/Quote
He won't come back to Cincinnati. He'll sign somewhere to compete for a job.

By the way - I'm sure those of you who have read me, listened to our BBP, followed my tweets ... knew that McCarron had no trade market until the Browns failed to file the paperwork on Oct. 31. Free agency is proving that yet again. I personally like McCarron. I think he can be an effective starter given the right circumstance. But clearly, no other NFL team desperately in need of a QB feels he can do that for them to date. The backup QB is always the most popular guy in town, but clearly - finally - maybe Bengals fans who felt he "should have been starting all along" and "give him a chance" are bearing witness to what I've been reporting (and what the Bengals have been telling you) for years.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Wasn't Hundley also a trade option for someone?

That's another spot taken if so.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: If I am his agent I call up Miami and see how seriously they would consider an open competition with Tannehill. Otherwise I stand pat and wait for the first QB to go down. It seems the last couple years a QB has gone down in the summer which could give him a chance as the first guy off the bench to a team in the hunt who needs someone.

It could be the Browns after all.

They have such craptastic luck.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Won in arbitration lost in free agency... funny how this worked out.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 07:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think that is probably a safe assumption George.

Add that the Bills were after Bradford and that he signed with AZ for less than another offer he got and it looks like the Bills are caught without a bridge QB. 
Reply/Quote
If he's smart he'll try to get on with Arizona. Bradford getting hurt is more of a when than an if. That's where I'd go if they were willing and I was a backup looking to start at some point.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 10:13 PM)samhain Wrote: If he's smart he'll try to get on with Arizona.  Bradford getting hurt is more of a when than an if.  That's where I'd go if they were willing and I was a backup looking to start at some point.

Looks like Glennon is going to the Cards 

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Said a month ago he would be left out in the cold on being just handed a starters job and have to sign as back up with prove it type contract somewhere.

Think he will sign after a day or so when the market on him cheapens.

He will get his chance one day soon though and have never hated the guy.

Just thought Bengals should have moved him when the stock was high.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote