Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ McCarron's options?
Although was wrong about Bridgewater being given a starter job and not going to see him as our backup. Thought his injury would scare some off until he proved being back mentally and physically.

Guess it is now "Te Te Teddy and the Jets" !

Sucks because am such a fan of the kid, but absolutely hate the Jets. Wishing him well though.

Please do not let Lamar go to a team that I hate as well. Not naming any names.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 07:26 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Bills are looking like his last hope if he wants a job where he is slotted as the starter from day 1, and probably only as a bridge for whoever they draft.  Otherwise he will end up some place competing for a job for less money.  Given bad knee Sam Bradford got picked up before him and Josh McCown re-signed with the Jets who are also apparently showing interest in Bridgewater, I guess he wasn't that highly valued.

If they do want to move up for a certain QB, maybe their guy won't be there at 12, maybe they get locked out.  AJ could start for a year on a two year deal, and be dealt to someone he could extend a deal with.  
Reply/Quote
Kind of weird probably the same guys who get all pissy if you talk about Dalton or the qb position are probably the same ones saying McCarron is trash.
Reply/Quote
There's no anyone more classy than AJ McCarron, and I hope he finds his starting gig. I'd love for him to at least get a shot. The kid's a winner. While maybe he can't practice well enough to earn a starting gig, he does perform when put in a game. I like Jeff Driskel a lot, but he was unable to move ahead of AJ on the depth chart. I would not mind him coming back here at all.....
Reply/Quote
It just confirms the viewpoint i and many others had on McCarron, he is nothing special and it appears the entire NFL agrees. All these people who used to moan he was better than Dalton used to just make me double take constantly at their opinions. I mean even beat writers in cincy were talking about Glennon money and over $16m a year ... complete nonsense.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:11 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: So Denver, Minny, Cleveland, Arizona have all locked up their starting QB questions.

I believe Jets are locking down Teddy Bridgewater as we speak.

So does the AJ McCarron grievance even matter now?

What are the chances AJ resigns a short term deal with the Bengals this year?

I for one would love to have him back.

Thoughts?

It sure matters to me.  Mere seconds from having the 1st pick in Rd 2?  Number #33 overall?  Still makes me want to vomit.  
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:30 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'd think someone would kick Foles tires before McCarron's.

WAAAAYYYY too much compensation to the Eagles for Foles.  You only have to pay for AJ.  You don't owe the Bengals anything.  Foles would command a first and second rounder, for starters.  

And although Foles played lights out for much of the post season, a certain doofus in Baltimore did the same thing and evolved right back to below average when he lost Anquan Boldin.  Foles did great, but he had greatness all around him as well.  
Reply/Quote
I don’t think Driskel can be judged because he couldn’t move ahead of AJ on the depth chart. AJ is/was more familiar with the offense & had game experience — that more than anything, is why Driskle couldn’t unseat him, in my opinion.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 06:58 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I imagine AJ will sign with someone in the next week and for good money.

Who is backing up Garrapolo?  I could see him in SF for a fair contract and if he is smart, he will take it.  One thing about Garrapolo is he hasn't proven to be very durable.  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 08:57 AM)Bengalboy Wrote: It just confirms the viewpoint i and many others had on McCarron, he is nothing special and it appears the entire NFL agrees. All these people who used to moan he was better than Dalton used to just make me double take constantly at their opinions. I mean even beat writers in cincy were talking about Glennon money and over $16m a year ... complete nonsense.

People didn’t want to see McCarron because they thought he was something special. People wanted to see McCarron because they think Dalton isn’t anything special.

If you get fed meatloaf for long enough, the hot dogs start to look like steaks.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 09:15 AM)HuDey Wrote: People didn’t want to see McCarron because they thought he was something special. People wanted to see McCarron because they think Dalton isn’t anything special.

If you get fed meatloaf for long enough, the hot dogs start to look like steaks.
Except McCarron isn't better than Dalton. That is and was obvious. And the league is just confirming it. You think if Dalton hit this FA market he is still out there? Not a chance in hell. He would get $20 - $25m + a year.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 09:18 AM)Bengalboy Wrote: Except McCarron isn't better than Dalton. That is and was obvious. And the league is just confirming it. You think if Dalton hit this FA market he is still out there? Not a chance in hell. He would get $20 - $25m + a year.

I’m not arguing that Mc is better than Dalton, because Mc has not gotten enough game reps to conclude how good he might be. I agree that Dalton would be signed by now if he were on the market. I am saying that Dalton’s play has brought on the calls for someone else. McCarron just happened to be here at the time. The cycle will repeat itself as soon as the next backup QB arrives and shows any form of aptitude.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 09:32 AM)HuDey Wrote: I’m not arguing that Mc is better than Dalton, because Mc has not gotten enough game reps to conclude how good he might be. I agree that Dalton would be signed by now if he were on the market. I am saying that Dalton’s play has brought on the calls for someone else. McCarron just happened to be here at the time. The cycle will repeat itself as soon as the next backup QB arrives and shows any form of aptitude.
Thats a fair point. But unless you can get and guarentee a top 5 qb (and who can?) Sometimes you have to accept and build around your guy and do what you can to mask his shortfalls.

Reply/Quote
Well, it's not a starter job but a likely shot at a ring. The Patriots apparently have made him an offer

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 08:57 AM)Bengalboy Wrote: It just confirms the viewpoint i and many others had on McCarron, he is nothing special and it appears the entire NFL agrees. All these people who used to moan he was better than Dalton used to just make me double take constantly at their opinions. I mean even beat writers in cincy were talking about Glennon money and over $16m a year ... complete nonsense.

Or maybe its just the lack of actual game tape on AJ is scaring teams away. All of the other QB's signed have a lot more out there for teams to evaluate. AJ is going to be relegated to another backup job, or maybe he can go somewhere like Arizona or Buffalo and compete for a job.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
If i was him. I would head over to Arizona. for no other reason than Bradford will likely get injured and quick, so he will have a shot at a starting job. Assuming they want him.

As for tape on him, there is enough to know what he is. that 15 season where Andy was playing at a top 5 QB level. AJ came in with the same talent around him and looked poor in comparison for a number of games.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 08:43 PM)jowczarski Wrote: He won't come back to Cincinnati. He'll sign somewhere to compete for a job.

By the way - I'm sure those of you who have read me, listened to our BBP, followed my tweets ... knew that McCarron had no trade market until the Browns failed to file the paperwork on Oct. 31. Free agency is proving that yet again. I personally like McCarron. I think he can be an effective starter given the right circumstance. But clearly, no other NFL team desperately in need of a QB feels he can do that for them to date. The backup QB is always the most popular guy in town, but clearly - finally - maybe Bengals fans who felt he "should have been starting all along" and "give him a chance" are bearing witness to what I've been reporting (and what the Bengals have been telling you) for years.

I agree with everything you have said, except I've heard the Patriots have shown some interest......which means he won't be competing for the starting job there.  In fact, I read they made him and offer.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 09:34 AM)Bengalboy Wrote: Thats a fair point. But unless you can get and guarentee a top 5 qb (and who can?) Sometimes you have to accept and build around your guy and do what you can to mask his shortfalls.

We’ve been taking that approach for 7 years now. At what point is it time to try someone else, top 5 status be damned ?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 10:40 AM)HuDey Wrote: We’ve been taking that approach for 7 years now. At what point is it time to try someone else, top 5 status be damned ?
When we have sucked enough to get a top draft pick and get lucky with a loaded draft at qb probably.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 04:16 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Kind of weird probably the same guys who get all pissy if you talk about Dalton or the qb position are probably the same ones saying McCarron is trash.

No one says McCarron is trash... He is just extremely unknown and unproven and the idiots around here hype him up like hes a proven tom brady level QB.
Reply/Quote