Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ McCarron's options?
(03-14-2018, 09:47 AM)pally Wrote: Well, it's not a starter job but a likely shot at a ring. The Patriots apparently have made him an offer

Because they will then, at some point, flip him for a draft pick or some value.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:30 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'd think someone would kick Foles tires before McCarron's.

Possibly, but the time to buy stock in Foles has passed.  We non-GM nobodies tend to be a year behind when it comes to the NFL and we chase what's happened rather than what COULD be.  Going into last season people weren't looking at Nick Foles because everyone who didn't have a QB with 2 or more SB's was saying that we need to shore up the lines with the high picks and "get our Dak Prescott in the 3rd or 4th."

This year people talk about getting Nick Foles.  Meh, the guy was the SB MVP, that's pretty impressive.  Saying you should trade two 1st round picks for a guy who just won the SB is logical...sort of, but you're too late because someone else got him out of a scrap bin BEFORE he won the SB.  That's the big difference.  It's the difference between investing in Microsoft now and investing in Microsoft when Bill Gates was working out of his own garage (or was that Steve Jobs?  Anyways, you get the point).  

It sort of reminds me of an old guy I know who said something along the lines of when he heard song XYZ on the radio he KNEW it was going to be a hit.  The point is that he isn't an A&R man for Apple, so chances are IF he heard a song on the radio it WAS a hit.  

With Foles and Keenum being two of the last 4 QBs standing, this may be the year everyone wants to grab someone else's backup QB...which could work in McCarron's favor.  Keenum and Foles are pretty hot commodities one year after they reached their peak after a team that bought low on them cashed in.  

Anyways, generic rant over.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We're slipping . Where are all the posts about him deserving to sign with another team and the ubiquitous chance to win a ring after years of toiling as Andys under study ?
Certainly someone can make that argument . I'm really disappointed in you all.. Dammit! AJ deserves the chance to win a ring! Or maybe not ...
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:28 PM)grampahol Wrote: We're slipping . Where are all the posts about him deserving to sign with another team and the ubiquitous chance to win a ring after years of toiling as Andys under study ?
Certainly someone can make that argument . I'm really disappointed in you all.. Dammit! AJ deserves the chance to win a ring! Or maybe not ...

You're gonna jinx it and he's going to sign with the Steelers!

Actually, I'd be pretty cool with him being a Patriot since I'm reduced to being a Pats fan and rubbing it in my Steeler fan friends' faces every year. If McCarron is there I might have a more recent real reason to root for the Pats (though my Corey Dillion Pats jersey still fits nicely).
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 08:43 PM)jowczarski Wrote: He won't come back to Cincinnati. He'll sign somewhere to compete for a job.

By the way - I'm sure those of you who have read me, listened to our BBP, followed my tweets ... knew that McCarron had no trade market until the Browns failed to file the paperwork on Oct. 31. Free agency is proving that yet again. I personally like McCarron. I think he can be an effective starter given the right circumstance. But clearly, no other NFL team desperately in need of a QB feels he can do that for them to date. The backup QB is always the most popular guy in town, but clearly - finally - maybe Bengals fans who felt he "should have been starting all along" and "give him a chance" are bearing witness to what I've been reporting (and what the Bengals have been telling you) for years.

Those people will just get very quiet and live in denial. 

(03-14-2018, 09:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Who is backing up Garrapolo?  I could see him in SF for a fair contract and if he is smart, he will take it.  One thing about Garrapolo is he hasn't proven to be very durable.  

I don't think there's any way SF brings in a guy like Mac right away. They're committing 100% to Jimmy and signing a guy like Mac would be viewed as a fallback plan or "pressure" on Jimmy. Whether that would be accurate or not, I don't see the 49ers wanting that perception out there. As for Jimmy's durability, I'm not sure they should be too worried about 1 injury. Was he injured a lot in college?

(03-14-2018, 09:47 AM)pally Wrote: Well, it's not a starter job but a likely shot at a ring.  The Patriots apparently have made him an offer

It was easy to see that coming a mile away. Looks like Mac will be sitting on the bench for a 5th year. The earliest he could start would be at age 29. 

Maybe the people who said he wasn't valued were correct after all. 

(03-14-2018, 11:40 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Because they will then, at some point, flip him for a draft pick or some value.

Will be interesting to see the years on the deal, if they sign him. I wouldn't doubt seeing a 2 year deal so they have trade options.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Not for nothin', but we've heard for a couple of years now how much the Bengals like Driskel. Or like him enough to keep 3 QBs on the roster. Maybe it's time to see what he can bring, but I hope McCarron can catch on somewhere.
Reply/Quote
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/21137f95-908e-35d6-a8ca-204604e09f13/ss_report%3A-patriots-offered-a.html

Report: Patriots offered a deal to A.J. McCarron

Quarterback A.J. McCarron may finally have an offer, even if it’s not the one many thought he might find this week.

According to Kirk Minihane of WEEI, the Patriots have made a contract offer to the Bengals backup.

It’s unclear if that offer is substantial or a fishing expedition, but it’s interesting that they want to find a certain grade of backup to 40-year-old Tom Brady.

After trading away Jacoby Brissett and Jimmy Garoppolo last year, the Patriots signed Brian Hoyer to a three-year deal to stand behind Brady because he knew what to do.

But McCarron’s a younger option, and although he hasn’t had much of a chance to show it on the field (he’s thrown seven passes in the last two years), there are people who think he might be a better option.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 01:45 PM)snowy Wrote: Not for nothin', but we've heard for a couple of years now how much the Bengals like Driskel. Or like him enough to keep 3 QBs on the roster. Maybe it's time to see what he can bring, but I hope McCarron can catch on somewhere.

Want to see more of driskel in the preseason... I'm sure there will be another QB here as well to compete
Reply/Quote
I hate to say it, but I find a lot of irony in AJM situation. He was upset at his mishandling here, despite us trying to find a reasonable suitor. Now, all these options, some not better than him, are getting MASS paydays. The dude still doesn't really have a job, unless he wants to go back to being a back up. Little ironic.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
I know it's not what he wants, but I'd sign with New England and not even think twice. Sign a 3 year deal of so, possibly win a ring, and you may be in a spot to take over after Brady retires. I get that he wants to start, I'd want to start too. I get it. However, if you're going to have to settle for being a back up again, there's not a better place to go than New England. Get paid, get a ring, try again in a couple of years.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 03:22 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I know it's not what he wants, but I'd sign with New England and not even think twice. Sign a 3 year deal of so, possibly win a ring, and you may be in a spot to take over after Brady retires. I get that he wants to start, I'd want to start too. I get it. However, if you're going to have to settle for being a back up again, there's not a better place to go than New England. Get paid, get a ring, try again in a couple of years.

Hard to argue with the logic here. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 02:00 PM)kdgjr Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/21137f95-908e-35d6-a8ca-204604e09f13/ss_report%3A-patriots-offered-a.html

Report: Patriots offered a deal to A.J. McCarron

Quarterback A.J. McCarron may finally have an offer, even if it’s not the one many thought he might find this week.

According to Kirk Minihane of WEEI, the Patriots have made a contract offer to the Bengals backup.

It’s unclear if that offer is substantial or a fishing expedition, but it’s interesting that they want to find a certain grade of backup to 40-year-old Tom Brady.

After trading away Jacoby Brissett and Jimmy Garoppolo last year, the Patriots signed Brian Hoyer to a three-year deal to stand behind Brady because he knew what to do.

But McCarron’s a younger option, and although he hasn’t had much of a chance to show it on the field (he’s thrown seven passes in the last two years), there are people who think he might be a better option.

He wasn't offered a contract by New Englad.
Jim McBride (beat writer for Boston Globe) said those are false and that league sources confirm that there was no offer.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 05:29 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: He wasn't offered a contract by New Englad.
Jim McBride (beat writer for Boston Globe) said those are false and that league sources confirm that there was no offer.

Likely the truth.  Maybe it wasn't a "formal offer" submitted to the league.  If there was indeed a conversation that took place, it could have been an informal, feel it out, just throwing numbers out there kind of thing.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
So, if you're him, do you look for a backup job or do you sit around and wait for somebody to break a body part? As far as being a backup and ending up starting, that's strictly right time, right place and luck of the draw.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 06:42 PM)McC Wrote: So, if you're him, do you look for a backup job or do you sit around and wait for somebody to break a body part?  As far as being a backup and ending up starting, that's strictly right time, right place and luck of the draw.

Are you suggesting that he sit out, until the next starting QB gets a season ending injury?  

I'm not sure that would be a wise move for him, might look like an ego thing, or poor sportsmanship.  Personally, I think he takes a job with whatever team comes calling, backup pay is no joke in the NFL, for a QB.  

I can see him being resentful toward the Bengals, for not dealing him when QBs were going down left and right (seemingly).  But, the truth of the matter is the knock on him coming from 'Bama was that he was just a game manager.  Even in his brief starting stint with the Bengals, he was simply a game manager.  Sure, he made few mistakes, but he did nothing special either.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 03:18 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I hate to say it, but I find a lot of irony in AJM situation. He was upset at his mishandling here, despite us trying to find a reasonable suitor. Now, all these options, some not better than him, are getting MASS paydays. The dude still doesn't really have a job, unless he wants to go back to being a back up. Little ironic.

McCarron being worthless on the open market reflects rather poorly on a franchise that refused to trade him when his stock was legitimately high, though.  Basically, we won 6.5 games per year while being afraid to let our backup QB whom no one wants off our bench.  Ouch.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 06:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are you suggesting that he sit out, until the next starting QB gets a season ending injury?  

I'm not sure that would be a wise move for him, might look like an ego thing, or poor sportsmanship.  Personally, I think he takes a job with whatever team comes calling, backup pay is no joke in the NFL, for a QB.  

I can see him being resentful toward the Bengals, for not dealing him when QBs were going down left and right (seemingly).  But, the truth of the matter is the knock on him coming from 'Bama was that he was just a game manager.  Even in his brief starting stint with the Bengals, he was simply a game manager.  Sure, he made few mistakes, but he did nothing special either.

He sees himself as a starter.  When does he make that mental leap to deciding to accept being a backup?  Sometimes, a backup gets to ride in and save the day but you never know when or where it will happen.  If you get your shot and make the most of it, then you get a shot at being a starter somewhere.  But then again, you might not play a single snap.  Do you just go ahead and sign with the first team who calls?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Retirement
Reply/Quote
He found himself a home...2 year deal with Buffalo

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 08:27 PM)pally Wrote: He found himself a home...2 year deal with Buffalo

Cool!  Good for him. Congrats AJ....and thanks for your time here.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote