Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ McCarron's options?
(03-14-2018, 01:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't think there's any way SF brings in a guy like Mac right away. They're committing 100% to Jimmy and signing a guy like Mac would be viewed as a fallback plan or "pressure" on Jimmy. Whether that would be accurate or not, I don't see the 49ers wanting that perception out there. As for Jimmy's durability, I'm not sure they should be too worried about 1 injury. Was he injured a lot in college?

I don't see it as pressure at all.  And I think Jimmy was injured twice in his brief stints as a starter.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 07:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: McCarron being worthless on the open market reflects rather poorly on a franchise that refused to trade him when his stock was legitimately high, though.  Basically, we won 6.5 games per year while being afraid to let our backup QB whom no one wants off our bench.  Ouch.

Spoke a little too soon dishing out that "Worthless" take, eh? Couldn't even let the first few days - let alone even the single first day - of free agency go by without bashing a guy who was a good soldier his entire time here. #Daltoncult

AJ McCarron was a 1st day FA signing. Will start for the Bills. Anything but "worthless". The Bengals also didn't "refuse to trade him".

Haste is often a poor counselor. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 08:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't see it as pressure at all.  And I think Jimmy was injured twice in his brief stints as a starter.  

Maybe realistically it wouldn't be, but that would be the perception. Mac was perceived as a guy deserving of (and gunning for) a starting gig. If the 49ers signed him, it'd be viewed as some kind of sign that they weren't sold on Jimmy...and they're very sold on Jimmy. They wouldn't want that perception floating around, and I'm sure they don't want their new franchise guy to be uncomfortable.

As for the injury, I'm only seeing the AC joint (shoulder) injury. Unless I'm missing some injury with the 49ers? I didn't hear about any injuries there, and he didn't miss any games.

All moot now that Mac signed in Buffalo.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 09:37 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Spoke a little too soon dishing out that "Worthless" take, eh? Couldn't even let the first few days - let alone even the single first day - of free agency go by without bashing a guy who was a good soldier his entire time here. #Daltoncult

AJ McCarron was a 1st day FA signing. Will start for the Bills. Anything but "worthless". The Bengals also didn't "refuse to trade him".

Haste is often a poor counselor. 

Oh bollocks!  You know the Bills are going to trade up and take a QB and the second AJ McCarron throws an INT that fanbase is going to throw him under the bus and demand he heads back to the bench.  There is a decent chance the guy becomes a lower paid version of last year's Mike Glennon.

I have nothing against McCarron, I just know that he's a 5th round pick who is more known for his tattoos and his hot wife than anything he's done on a football field in his 4 years in the NFL.  Also, it's amusing I'm being labeled as a Dalton Cult member since I've been slagged as a Palmer-lovin' Dalton-hater for years.  Oy, that's life for ya.

I will say that Buffalo is relatively close to where I live SO if McCarron is a legit starting QB for them I might actually putter up that way and check things out.  I'm just not holding my breath.

ALSO, we should have traded him for a 2nd rounder when we had the chance.  That's my main point, and I don't see how anything can refute that. McCarron getting a 2 year $10m deal in Buffalo doesn't exactly floor me when we see Sam Bradford is getting paid 4 times as much to get injured immediately in a different uniform this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 10:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Oh bollocks!  You know the Bills are going to trade up and take a QB and the second AJ McCarron throws an INT that fanbase is going to throw him under the bus and demand he heads back to the bench.  There is a decent chance the guy becomes a lower paid version of last year's Mike Glennon.

I have nothing against McCarron, I just know that he's a 5th round pick who is more known for his tattoos and his hot wife than anything he's done on a football field in his 4 years in the NFL.  Also, it's amusing I'm being labeled as a Dalton Cult member since I've been slagged as a Palmer-lovin' Dalton-hater for years.  Oy, that's life for ya.

I will say that Buffalo is relatively close to where I live SO if McCarron is a legit starting QB for them I might actually putter up that way and check things out.  I'm just not holding my breath.

ALSO, we should have traded him for a 2nd rounder when we had the chance.  That's my main point, and I don't see how anything can refute that. McCarron getting a 2 year $10m deal in Buffalo doesn't exactly floor me when we see Sam Bradford is getting paid 4 times as much to get injured immediately in a different uniform this year.

Idk, I think he’ll be known for getting the Bengals closer to a playoff win than any other QB in the last quarter century. At least until they finally do actually win one.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 10:49 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Idk, I think he’ll be known for getting the Bengals closer to a playoff win than any other QB in the last quarter century. At least until they finally do actually win one.

True....sad, but true.  This really sums up what it's like to be a Bengals fan.  I have friends who are Steelers/Packers/Giants etc. fans and they can talk about which QBs were better Starr/Favre/Rodgers, Bradshaw/Pig Ben, Simms/Manning and here we are ranking our QBs in order of which one came the closest to winning a playoff game despite them all playing like total crap in the post-season.

Laugh or cry, I tells ya.  
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 10:49 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Idk, I think he’ll be known for getting the Bengals closer to a playoff win than any other QB in the last quarter century. At least until they finally do actually win one.
that was the bengals Defense.... He did nothing for much of that game
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 09:44 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe realistically it wouldn't be, but that would be the perception. Mac was perceived as a guy deserving of (and gunning for) a starting gig. If the 49ers signed him, it'd be viewed as some kind of sign that they weren't sold on Jimmy...and they're very sold on Jimmy. They wouldn't want that perception floating around, and I'm sure they don't want their new franchise guy to be uncomfortable.

As for the injury, I'm only seeing the AC joint (shoulder) injury. Unless I'm missing some injury with the 49ers? I didn't hear about any injuries there, and he didn't miss any games.

All moot now that Mac signed in Buffalo.

Didn't see that, but good to hear.  I am kind of becoming a closet Bills fan (miles behind the Bengals, mind you) and I love the picks they have coming up.  I hope, for Mac's sake, he gets to start a year while they groom a rookie.  If nothing else, he would get a one year tryout for other starting gigs. 

It would never happen, but how funny would it be if the Bengals and Bills met in the playoffs?  I was drooling at the prospect of the Bengals vs. the quitter in 2015.  
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 11:43 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: that was the bengals Defense.... He did nothing for much of that game

I'll remember that he got better as the game went on and outplayed a first ballot HOFer in the 2nd half when the game was in put up or shut up time. Against an outstanding Steelers defense in the rain.

Want to know the major difference between McCarron and Dalton?

McCarron didn't wilt under pressure. He stood in there in horrible weather and made the throw to AJ Green that his team needed to win.

And Dalton in almost the exact same circumstance (only with perfect conditions): 1st round playoffs against the Texans, late in the game, to take the lead, etc. MISSED AJ Green by a mile to (more than likely) win the game.

Andy Dalton, instead of redeeming himself and showing progress against the Chargers, had the LEAD in the 2nd half of that game and turned it over 3 straight times and give the game away. 

Andy Dalton crumbles under pressure. AJ McCarron didn't crumble. He made the play. THAT'S what he did with his shot.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:40 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I'll remember that he got better as the game went on and outplayed a first ballot HOFer in the 2nd half when the game was in put up or shut up time. Against an outstanding Steelers defense in the rain.

McCarron didn't wilt under pressure. He stood in there in horrible weather and made the throw to AJ Green that his team needed to win.

And Dalton in almost the exact same circumstance (only with perfect conditions): 1st round playoffs against the Texans, late in the game, to take the lead, etc. MISSED AJ Green by a mile to (more than likely) win the game.

Andy Dalton, instead of redeeming himself and showing progress against the Chargers, had the LEAD in the 2nd half of that game and turned it over 3 straight times and give the game away. 

Andy Dalton crumbles under pressure. AJ McCarron didn't crumble. He made the play. THAT'S what he did with his shot.

McCarron fumbled three times and threw a pick.  We had 188 passing yards on 44 pass plays.  We never scored a td without the defense giving McCarron the ball on our end of the field, and the only reason we were so close to winning was that the defense gave McCarron the ball on our end of the field 3 times in the fourth quarter.

I liked McCarron.  He was a very good back up QB.  I was glad we had him.  But completing one pass does not prove he was better than Dalton when he looked like shit for the rest of the game.  McCarron never beat a single team that was better than 5-11.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:40 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I'll remember that he got better as the game went on and outplayed a first ballot HOFer in the 2nd half when the game was in put up or shut up time. Against an outstanding Steelers defense in the rain.

Dalton and AJ missed that pass by a step or 2 not a mile.

AJ wilted ALL DAMN GAME till the 4th quarter when the D had all the momentum.   And since your memory seems to be going... Rothlisburger was off the field for a bit of the comeback Thanks to the Defense again.

Remember what you want.. But history is history and can watch the film and see it all again.
Reply/Quote