Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ extension looming
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/03/aj-green-extension-talks-bengals/

A lot has happened between the end of the season and now, to say the least. But a big question on the not to distant horizon is the AJ Green question ?

I can't really imagine a Bengals team without AJ, he's one of my favorite Bengals of all time ! But having said that the turf toe thing is no joke, he's missed a bunch of games over the last few seasons. And Boyd's contract is up as well. If we put the money needed into the Oline, LBers, Boyd, Dennard and so on will there be enough left for AJ ?

This question is just around the corner and I feel they need to lock him up if they're going to sooner rather than later. If they let it go it could be no more AJ ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 01:01 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/03/aj-green-extension-talks-bengals/

A lot has happened between the end of the season and now, to say the least. But a big question on the not to distant horizon is the AJ Green question ?

I can't really imagine a Bengals team without AJ, he's one of my favorite Bengals of all time ! But having said that the turf toe thing is no joke, he's missed a bunch of games over the last few seasons. And Boyd's contract is up as well. If we put the money needed into the Oline, LBers, Boyd, Dennard and so on will there be enough left for AJ ?

This question is just around the corner and I feel they need to lock him up if they're going to sooner rather than later. If they let it go it could be no more AJ ?

I think the upcoming draft will answer a lot. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
AJ will retire as a Bengal. I see way too much similarity to Larry Fitzgerald with him. He looks up to Fitzgerald and Larry has openly talked about how important it is to finish his career with one team. I see the same with AJ.
Reply/Quote
I think you have to keep Green.

That said, we need to be looking for a young WR that can be WR3 this year and potentially move up.

Even if we extend Green, he has maybe 2-3 highly productive years left before he starts to decline some.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 01:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think the upcoming draft will answer a lot. 

Agree,

We take a WR fairly high and AJ isn't signed the handwriting could be on the wall ? I hope not.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 01:05 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: AJ will retire as a Bengal.  I see way too much similarity to Larry Fitzgerald with him.  He looks up to Fitzgerald and Larry has openly talked about how important it is to finish his career with one team.  I see the same with AJ.

I sure hope so. I want to see what AJ can do under different coaching and of course to finish his career here.
Reply/Quote
AJ just had surgery to fix his toe, so if he wears decent cleats instead of those minimalistic things they all wear now, it shouldn't be an issue. AJ will retire here, when he loses a step he will simply move into the slot.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 01:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree,

We take a WR fairly high and AJ isn't signed the handwriting could be on the wall ? I hope not.

Hard to say...there is a decent chance the handwriting was supposed to be on the wall for AJ when we drafted John Ross.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 02:26 PM)Sled21 Wrote: AJ just had surgery to fix his toe, so if he wears decent cleats instead of those minimalistic things they all wear now, it shouldn't be an issue. AJ will retire here, when he loses a step he will simply move into the slot.

Keeping fingers crossed you're right. If nothing else I'd love to see him have some playoff success here before it's over and a ring for all his effort would be so sweet !
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 02:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hard to say...there is a decent chance the handwriting was supposed to be on the wall for AJ when we drafted John Ross.

It is hard to say,

How much do they value his contributions vs. the possible problems ? missing a few games ? He's not exactly Eifert but these injuries tend to keep coming back easier and easier. And also he's not an AB type diva either so I think the upside outweighs the downside and they need to extend him very soon. 

I'd speculate if the season starts and he's not extended it could be bad ?
Reply/Quote
I can't wait till he becomes the first ever player/juggling coach in the NFL.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I believe everyone sees AJ Green retiring a Bengal, but don't be surprised if it's on a one day contract a four or five years from now.

Sorry, but it's a distinct possibility. The front office will be looking to get a bargain because of the injury and other teams are going to be willing to pay for 3 years of AJ Green super stardom on their team.

Besides that, we have John Ross waiting in the wings. He was a top 10 pick so he should be good. (Cough, choke, cough). Mike Brown thinking process.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 02:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hard to say...there is a decent chance the handwriting was supposed to be on the wall for AJ when we drafted John Ross.

Completely different players.

AJ is a tall, rangy WR who high-points the ball, can catch in double coverage and runs exemplary routes. A technician of a wide out. 

John Ross is horrible at football. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 02:58 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I believe everyone sees AJ Green retiring a Bengal, but don't be surprised if it's on a one day contract a four or five years from now.

Sorry, but it's a distinct possibility. The front office will be looking to get a bargain because of the injury and other teams are going to be willing to pay for 3 years of AJ Green super stardom on their team.

Besides that, we have John Ross waiting in the wings. He was a top 10 pick so he should be good. (Cough, choke, cough). Mike Brown thinking process.

I sure hope MB has learnt his lesson in trying to low ball top end talent. He seems to have finally, truly, let go of the reins. But has he ?
Reply/Quote
I think this is the make-or-break year for John Ross to emerge as a starting WR. If he really steps up, I could see the team potentially willing to move on from AJ. If not, I can see the team extending AJ for another 1-2 years and drafting a WR next year as a replacement to groom.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 03:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think this is the make-or-break year for John Ross to emerge as a starting WR. If he really steps up, I could see the team potentially willing to move on from AJ. If not, I can see the team extending AJ for another 1-2 years and drafting a WR next year as a replacement to groom.

The decision point for AJ is this year, not next. Next year he'll be an unrestricted free agent, this year it would be an extension.

AJ hitting the open mark means he won't be coming back. It only takes one team out there who is contending to see AJ Green as the missing piece, and they can offer a chance at a SB, something Mike Brown cannot honestly offer.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 03:17 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The decision point for AJ is this year, not next. Next year he'll be an unrestricted free agent, this year it would be an extension.

AJ hitting the open mark means he won't be coming back. It only takes one team out there who is contending to see AJ Green as the missing piece, and they can offer a chance at a SB, something Mike Brown cannot honestly offer.

Franchise tag.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 03:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Franchise tag.

That would be one avenue. But Bengals using the franchise tag on a non-kicker? It's only happened once in the last 10 years (Michael Johnson 2013).

Reply/Quote

The writing is on the wall. It says they need to re-sign AJ Green.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
You do know there is a franchise tag? Giving AJ another contract is a no brainer but if the FO goes about it the way they normally do by using all the salary cap as a signing bonus an not bring in any top FAs means this team is just going to do the same old things with a new coach.
Reply/Quote