Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ extension looming
(03-04-2019, 02:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It is hard to say,

How much do they value his contributions vs. the possible problems ? missing a few games ? He's not exactly Eifert but these injuries tend to keep coming back easier and easier. And also he's not an AB type diva either so I think the upside outweighs the downside and they need to extend him very soon. 

I'd speculate if the season starts and he's not extended it could be bad ?

AJ will have made 90 million by the end of 2019. Try to sign him to a team friendly deal. Not money but guaranteed money. If he doesn't want that then franchise him in 2020. Giving him all the guaranteed money up front just means the team won't seriously attack FAs.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 01:01 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/03/aj-green-extension-talks-bengals/

A lot has happened between the end of the season and now, to say the least. But a big question on the not to distant horizon is the AJ Green question ?

I can't really imagine a Bengals team without AJ, he's one of my favorite Bengals of all time ! But having said that the turf toe thing is no joke, he's missed a bunch of games over the last few seasons. And Boyd's contract is up as well. If we put the money needed into the Oline, LBers, Boyd, Dennard and so on will there be enough left for AJ ?

This question is just around the corner and I feel they need to lock him up if they're going to sooner rather than later. If they let it go it could be no more AJ ?

Have to keep AJ....
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 02:58 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I believe everyone sees AJ Green retiring a Bengal, but don't be surprised if it's on a one day contract a four or five years from now.

Sorry, but it's a distinct possibility. The front office will be looking to get a bargain because of the injury and other teams are going to be willing to pay for 3 years of AJ Green super stardom on their team.

Besides that, we have John Ross waiting in the wings. He was a top 10 pick so he should be good. (Cough, choke, cough). Mike Brown thinking process.

You say team may look for a bargain, I say team and AJ need to come up with a fair number, a number based on his actual production the past few years. He has been injury prone and has missed a lot of games. His numbers are not top 10 as a result.

My opinion is it would be dumb for us to pay him top 10 WR money next contract, we paid him well in the past and he under performed. That is on AJ.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Good...get it done before Julio Jones gets a historic deal pushing up AJ Green's price lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Just think about what Green has done with little to no help.

Eifert helped take some coverage but usually from backers and he was rarely on the field. Ross has not helped. The only player that has taken some heat off of Green was Boyd over the last year. Green is special. I have no problems him retiring a Bengal. He has made incredible catches and has dropped easy ones. I always cringe when he hits the ground fearing injury.

But through a "practical" lens he is going to be paid a lot. I don't know if he and Dalton are considered part of the core on the offense any longer because a new coach will eventually want a new QB-receiver team. The Bengals have their RB of the future in Mixon.

I have mixed feelings on Green AND Dalton at this point.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 04:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You say team may look for a bargain, I say team and AJ need to come up with a fair number, a number based on his actual production the past few years. He has been injury prone and has missed a lot of games. His numbers are not top 10 as a result.

My opinion is it would be dumb for us to pay him top 10 WR money next contract, we paid him well in the past and he under performed. That is on AJ.
To be fair it isn't fair to other players like AJ Dalton etc to shoulder the blame for the shortcomings of the FO. Fitzgerald has played on a year by year contract of 11million since 2015. Aj has earned 90 million by the end of the year. I would have no problem with AJ being resigned for another 60 mil contract but make it with only 15 mil guaranteed. This would keep him in Cincy but not handcuff the team as far as FA anf if his injuries are career ending.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 05:15 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: To be fair it isn't fair to other players like AJ Dalton etc to shoulder the blame for the shortcomings of the FO. Fitzgerald has played on a year by year contract of 11million since 2015. Aj has earned 90 million by the end of the year. I would have no problem with AJ being resigned for another 60 mil contract but make it with only 15 mil guaranteed. This would keep him in Cincy but not handcuff the team as far as FA anf if his injuries are career ending.

AJ was the top paid WR at one point when he signed his second contract, he deserved it based on how he was playing at the time. I love AJ, but he is over 30 and having trouble playing 16 games a year. When healthy, he is one of the best in the game, but the health issues have to be factored into any new contract. I agree, less guarantees and more incentive base contract for him now to be fair to the team. That is not being cheap and trying to get a bargain, it is fair.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 05:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Good...get it done before Julio Jones gets a historic deal pushing up AJ Green's price lol.

Do you have info on Julio's contract status?
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 05:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: AJ was the top paid WR at one point when he signed his second contract, he deserved it based on how he was playing at the time. I love AJ, but he is over 30 and having trouble playing 16 games a year. When healthy, he is one of the best in the game, but the health issues have to be factored into any new contract. I agree, less guarantees and more incentive base contract for him now to be fair to the team. That is not being cheap and trying to get a bargain, it is fair.

Exactly,being loyal is one thing but the way the Bengals resign vets by using the cap money so there is no carry over into the following years and handcuffing them in free agency is a proven way to keep them from winning. Hopefully the FO changes the way it does things or we are doomed until they sell the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 05:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Do you have info on Julio's contract status?

Two more years . 2019 12 mil/ year. 2020 11.46 mil/ year. His contract was for five years/71mil. AJ's was four years 60 million.
Reply/Quote
Pretty comparable players except Jones gets a little more yards and a lot less TD's.
Reply/Quote
Just don't let Troy Blackburn handle this one. He'll call AJ Green "an aging wide receiver" and offer him a ridiculously low number on a one year deal.
Reply/Quote
Sign him. He will deal. Not like we are just rich with receiver options.Free agency doesn't have many good options. The draft needs to address other issues.
Reply/Quote
You give AJ what he wants. He is humble enough not to take so much that it hurts the club, yet understands his worth. I think AJ is a creature of habit,likes Cincy, and with the new staff comes new fire. Pay the man. Period.
Reply/Quote
Metcalf will not be there at 11......
Reply/Quote
AJ has been awesome for this team and I’d love to see him stay. A good team will pay him for what they expect him to do over the new contract. I think that it is wrong to pay a player strictly off of what they’ve done in the past. That should raise the price but you have to factor in that he will probably begin to trend downward. The owner has to be an owner and not a fan. It would be nice to see AJ here for another 3-4 years.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 02:58 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Completely different players.

AJ is a tall, rangy WR who high-points the ball, can catch in double coverage and runs exemplary routes. A technician of a wide out. 

John Ross is horrible at football. 

AJ could be 40, play at half the full force he is now and STILL be better than Ross ever probably will be. And yes, they can be BFF, that won't change a thing on the field.
Reply/Quote
We need to get both AJ & Boyd signed up, we can't go into the next season with Ross, Malone and Erickson our experienced WR's
Reply/Quote