Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ - 'franchise tag is not the best thing'
(01-25-2020, 12:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Because we know just how good AJ is when he's healthy. They got to look at him all through rehab and on field drills. The team knows exactly where he is health wise. A free agent would basically be an unknown.

He’s now essentially a free agent so he won’t be running drills unless he’s signed. You can now do the same med checks that you can do on any other free agent.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 02:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why?

He is in exactly the same position he would have been in if he had played and been injured again.  He has to prove he will be healthy and able to play next year before any team will sign him.

Being injured three times in as a year and a half would keep any sensible team from signing him. Of course the Bengals would have still signed him.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 08:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If he does that, his next contract won't even be double digits..there are a lot of stats about players that haven't played for 3 years and none of them are good.

True, not saying this is what would happen if we tagged AJ, just saying it is more risky than an incentive laden contract.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 01:33 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: They let that dude sit out the whole season while still collecting a check. No one is trying to disrespect you AJ.

Hey if your toenail broke and took that long to grow back! You would also ask work for compensation OK. 
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 03:45 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Being injured three times in as a year and a half would keep any sensible team from signing him. Of course the Bengals would have still signed him.

"magically" better if he went to a superbowl caliber team. xD
Reply/Quote
AJ is delusional. Just call his bluff and Tag him, then ask him if he’s worth 2 first round picks. If he thinks he is worth a multi year deal, then teams should be tripping over each other trying to come get him........Right, AJ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'll be quite honest, I love AJ ! he's a class act and was an integral part of Bengals teams that had a bit of relevance a few years back. If I were to make a list of my top 25 Bengals of all time he'd been on it and probably closer to the top than the bottom.

Having said that, AJ scares me, a lot. How many times over last 4 seasons have we seen him limping off the field ? He's missed nearly half of the games over last four seasons and of course all of last year.

Sure I'd like to see him finish as a Bengal, if he can stay on the field, limit snaps some ?

But first and foremost I'm for the "Bengals" And in my mind anything but an incentive laden deal is just to risky. He's no spring chicken anymore.

Same for Eifert if they're gonna keep him.
Reply/Quote
AJ has been an awesome player and awesome guy his whole career in Cincinnati. No reason to hate on him, just give him a multi year deal loaded with incentives. If he stays healthy and meets them, he gets paid. If he doesn't, he doesn't. Win Win.....
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 03:45 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Being injured three times in as a year and a half would keep any sensible team from signing him. Of course the Bengals would have still signed him.

We should be able to get him for a pittance if no other team will sign him.  Let him test the market and if he's a bust as a FA prospect we can offer him next to nothing.  
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 02:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: AJ has been an awesome player and awesome guy his whole career in Cincinnati. No reason to hate on him, just give him a multi year deal loaded with incentives. If he stays healthy and meets them, he gets paid. If he doesn't, he doesn't. Win Win.....

My feelings also. Nothing but BIG respect for AJ, but have to do what is right for both parties. 
Reply/Quote
Different interview, but from the same as the one in the OP...with AJsaying he's excited to play with or without the tag. Mellow Starting to think AJ is trying to work though some conflicting thoughts about the whole situation...but in the end, still wants to be a Bengal.

While part of thinks it might be time to move on from both Andy and AJ, there's also a part that would love to see AJ come back , stay healthy and have a great season.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 02:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We should be able to get him for a pittance if no other team will sign him.  Let him test the market and if he's a bust as a FA prospect we can offer him next to nothing.  

I wouldn't have a problem tagging him and paying him 18 mil. I believe he has earned that from the org. But to be in the same place next year isn't worth it. He needs to give the team an option for 2021.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 03:59 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Different interview, but from the same as the one in the OP...with AJsaying he's excited to play with or without the tag. Mellow Starting to think AJ is trying to work though some conflicting thoughts about the whole situation...but in the end, still wants to be a Bengal.

While part of thinks it might be time to move on from both Andy and AJ, there's also a part that would love to see AJ come back , stay healthy and have a great season.

Nonthing conflicting.  He wants to get back on the field, and wants a long term deal instead of the franchise tag.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 05:25 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Nonthing conflicting.  He wants to get back on the field, and wants a long term deal instead of the franchise tag.

I meant conflicted in terms of the tag itself. In some interviews, he sounds like he definitely has an issue with being tagged. In others, he seems more accepting of the possibility. Sure, he wants to be back on the field and would rather it be on a multi-year deal, but I think he's has some mixed feelings about the idea of being tagged, if that's what happens.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 02:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: AJ has been an awesome player and awesome guy his whole career in Cincinnati. No reason to hate on him, just give him a multi year deal loaded with incentives. If he stays healthy and meets them, he gets paid. If he doesn't, he doesn't. Win Win.....

Totally agree. It seems like a no-brainer especially with us having a rookie starting QB next year. AJ can still win most of the 50/50 balls, and take pressure off the other WRs so they can get open more. His injuries are frustrating, but its not like hes blown out his knee or anything terrible like that. Honestly he should be healthier than we've seen him for quite a while, and his body should be refreshed. I like his odds for a big season no matter what team hes on.
Reply/Quote

Well said Sled, this is the way to go IMO.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 03:12 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Nobody is faulting him for being hurt. The question is, is it a good investment? Would you bring in a free agent with a similar case at 18 Mil.?

The Bengals should have open try outs. Bring in all undrafted and released WR's. There's gotta be a couple that would make the team and impact it in a positive way, with a tenth of AJ's price tag.
Reply/Quote

Its still a risk. You're still risking offering him a contract before he proves hes healthy (sorry but rehab and drills are different than a game as he's proven all season long) and he hasn't been healthy much lately. With that, even disregarding his high price tag, you risk going into another season without a number one receiver.

Yes, everyone can get injured but he's not done much lately to inspire any confidence in this regard. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 05:35 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I meant conflicted in terms of the tag itself. In some interviews, he sounds like he definitely has an issue with being tagged. In others, he seems more accepting of the possibility. Sure, he wants to be back on the field and would rather it be on a multi-year deal, but I think he's has some mixed feelings about the idea of being tagged, if that's what happens.

I don't hear any conflict. He said he prefers a multi year deal. Who wouldn't. He also said if he is tagged his is not sitting out and will play under the tag. He just won't risk injury at OTAs.  Seems perfectly clear on the situation to me.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 11:07 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Why not transition tag him? The tender is $15.8M instead of $18M. They'd still have the right to match. I don't see any teams being willing to give a huge contract that isn't incentive-laced.

Interesting. I didn't even realize that was an option. And AJ can't complain -- if someone wants to pay him $18 million they can. Heck maybe it gets him a bidding war though I think there is a point at which you don't match the money and see if you can spend it on improving the team in other ways. 

Again, Spotrac has him listed as being worth about 9 million a year. I'd be willing to pay a premium to a player who has a history with us but the reality he's not going to be a top paid WR this year after being injured all that time. 

Reply/Quote