Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ on Accountability
Katherine Terrell article on Zac contained these gems

Nothing says how bad the atmosphere in the locker room had gotten more than the shade AJ threw at Marvin

Quote:"I think the biggest thing for us, we have two team rules ... be on time and protect the team," Green said. "I think that's the biggest thing, the two rules for us and holding everybody accountable, holding everybody to a high standard. I think that's the biggest change from Coach Lewis. Everybody's held accountable, everybody's held to that high standard."

Quote:"It’s different to have your head coach be in the offensive meeting room going through every play, every detail to every guy, telling them why they need to run this way or what this concept is," Green said. "It's just a little different, but it's fun. It's awesome because he's so smart, he's so detailed."

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/31286/bengals-zac-taylor-is-young-but-confident-to-do-things-his-way

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
It's definitely a tad different from previous seasons. I think the offense will do well, but I'm a bit less confident in the defensive side. I hope to be proven wrong on the defense and right about the offense. We shall see..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It makes you wonder who AJ is referring to that Marvin didn't hold accountable. Was it the defense? The O-line? Coaches? Andy? Who was Marvin letting off the hook! lol
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 12:33 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It makes you wonder who AJ is referring to that Marvin didn't hold accountable. Was it the defense? The O-line? Coaches? Andy? Who was Marvin letting off the hook! lol

Personally, I don't feel like the specifics of the errors of the past coaching staff are as important as the veterans on the team are fully embracing the policy changes and procedural differences of the new coaching staff.

In other words, many of us had long suspected that Marvin operated with a bit of favoritism and let some players have lengthy leashes, while others seemed to remain permanently in his "dog house".  I take comments like the one from AJ Green as confirmation of our suspicions, no need to roil in bad memories from back then, just time to enjoy what the new staff has to offer going forward.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 12:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Personally, I don't feel like the specifics of the errors of the past coaching staff are as important as the veterans on the team are fully embracing the policy changes and procedural differences of the new coaching staff.

In other words, many of us had long suspected that Marvin operated with a bit of favoritism and let some players have lengthy leashes, while others seemed to remain permanently in his "dog house".  I take comments like the one from AJ Green as confirmation of our suspicions, no need to roil in bad memories from back then, just time to enjoy what the new staff has to offer going forward.

Whoa SB. Now wait a minute. If I don't complain about Marvin, chances are that will build up inside and, well, the next thing you know is I'm sling-shotting frozen peas at people in the grocery store again. The judge already told me he didn't want to see me back for frozen food assault. Oh never mind, I'll just hang out in the fresh vegetable isle and raise chaos from there.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 12:33 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It makes you wonder who AJ is referring to that Marvin didn't hold accountable. Was it the defense? The O-line? Coaches? Andy? Who was Marvin letting off the hook! lol

How about AJ being held accountable for the many mental errors and picks on him and not AD he has made over the years. I love AJ, but accountability should be an even higher standard for the studs who get paid loads of money. May be he was saying it was him not being held accountable.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 01:07 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Whoa SB. Now wait a minute. If I don't complain about Marvin, chances are that will build up inside and, well, the next thing you know is I'm sling-shotting frozen peas at people in the grocery store again. The judge already told me he didn't want to see me back for frozen food assault. Oh never mind, I'll just hang out in the fresh vegetable isle and raise chaos from there.

Just don't get caught pimping cucumbers to single moms.   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think the players on the team in recent memory
that were the most high profile Marvin had a different set of rules
Chad Vontaze AJ were never in fear of getting benched if they committed assignment errors or dropping passes
missed tackles .
then you had guys like Core Nickerson Redmond
whos play only worsened yet were given valuable snaps.
yet I see a rookie TE catch a 30 yd pass on a wheel route
on a opening drive never to be seen again
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 01:07 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Whoa SB. Now wait a minute. If I don't complain about Marvin, chances are that will build up inside and, well, the next thing you know is I'm sling-shotting frozen peas at people in the grocery store again. The judge already told me he didn't want to see me back for frozen food assault. Oh never mind, I'll just hang out in the fresh vegetable isle and raise chaos from there.

Better frozen peas than canned ones

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 01:37 PM)pally Wrote: Better frozen peas than canned ones

Depends.  Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 01:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just don't get caught pimping cucumbers to single moms.   Ninja

Tiger or the guys wearing Daisy Dukes... Hilarious
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Perhaps there won't be anymore players walking out on the field in their overcoats ?
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 01:13 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How about AJ being held accountable for the many mental errors and picks on him and not AD he has made over the years. I love AJ, but accountability should be an even higher standard for the studs who get paid loads of money. May be he was saying it was him not being held accountable.

No you don’t. You criticize him every chance you get. And you expect perfection just because he’s paid well.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 08:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No you don’t. You criticize him every chance you get. And you expect perfection just because he’s paid well.

AJ is a class act and understands accountability. So, my comment was not a knock on AJ, a compliment he understands you don't blame others first, first you look into the mirror. Point was why did OP jump to AJ was thinking of others, he very well may have been thinking of himself. As for perfection, where did I say I expected any player to be perfect. 

I didn't and don't, but I do expect a ton more production and less mental errors from a great WR than say a QB who has 10 times then mental prep and expertise than any position player on offense of defense. Yet, AD gets trashed all the time, some warranted and some because of others including AJ.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 09:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: AJ is a class act and understands accountability. So, my comment was not a knock on AJ, a compliment he understands you don't blame others first, first you look into the mirror. Point was why did OP jump to AJ was thinking of others, he very well may have been thinking of himself. As for perfection, where did I say I expected any player to be perfect. 

I didn't and don't, but I do expect a ton more production and less mental errors from a great WR than say a QB who has 10 times then mental prep and expertise than any position player on offense of defense. Yet, AD gets trashed all the time, some warranted and some because of others including AJ.

And AJ has made Dalton look better his entire career making circus catches that are thrown way too high. It’s a two way street.

Point is AJ is so far down the list of players that need to be held more accountable it’s not even worth discussing.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 09:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And AJ has made Dalton look better his entire career making circus catches that are thrown way too high. It’s a two way street.

Point is AJ is so far down the list of players that need to be held more accountable it’s not even worth discussing.

If you don't see the issue if AJ is held less accountable in the film room that causes major team issues, not even worth discussing. Players who are worse get cut and lose their job. But, the guy you pay big bucks, you bet they should make sure he is a leader on and off the field (meetings and film).

I think AJ would tell you the same.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 09:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If you don't see the issue if AJ is held less accountable in the film room that causes major team issues, not even worth discussing. Players who are worse get cut and lose their job. But, the guy you pay big bucks, you bet they should make sure he is a leader on and off the field (meetings and film).

I think AJ would tell you the same.

Injuries have been AJ’s problem lately. Not lack of effort. There has never been nor will there ever be a WR that doesn’t occasionally drop some balls or fumble. Check his stats compared to other top guys like AB, Julio, OBJ, etc. I know off the top of my head AJ has put the ball on the ground less that AB and he’s considered the best in the league.

Reply/Quote
We definitely need a coach that can make guys practice hard day after day after day with full effort. That will lead to improvement in the players.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 09:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Injuries have been AJ’s problem lately. Not lack of effort. There has never been nor will there ever be a WR that doesn’t occasionally drop some balls or fumble. Check his stats compared to other top guys like AB, Julio, OBJ, etc. I know off the top of my head AJ has put the ball on the ground less that AB and he’s considered the best in the league.

I have never questioned AJ's effort or his fitness. I agree, injuries are the issue (darn toe is an issue). He can't help a Steeler cheap shots for a concussion for example and his injuries were not because of his fitness.

Reply/Quote
I'm not sure it is important who AJ was speaking of in terms of accountability. The point is that it was not present before but seems to be now.

As to our WR play, AJ has easily been the most consistent WR on the team. There have been things he could improve on (like anyone) but since some are common to all Bengal WRs I attribute them to coaching (like failing to break routes when the pocket collapses to provide targets and especially failing to break back to the ball). Hopefully our new coaches are drilling on those elements as part of the new system.
Reply/Quote