Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
William Jackson III
(12-23-2019, 02:09 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: There have been a few games where it looks like WJ3's arm goes limp, he steps out a play, then comes back. Also noticed he always has his hands in fists instead of trying to grab the ball/jersey...

Something has definitely been up with him from what I've seen.

My suspicion is his vision isn’t as sharp as it once was; a visit to an ophthalmologist might be helpful. If I remember correctly Adam Jones wore contact lenses because I saw the team doctor insert a new lens into his eye after one fell out on the field.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 01:44 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Well with so many holes in their starting roster for highly valued positions, I'd list QB, 2 CB's, 2 tackles, TE, the Bengals don't have to argue whether to draft for need or talent.  The talent will fill a need.  Outside of the highly valued starting positions they have needs for starters on the interior Oline, all linebackers, safeties.  Definitely this draft for the Bengals, practically any talent on the board fills a hurting need.

So should be an easy draft for the Bengals, can't screw it up right?

One thing I hope happens (and I know everyone will over exaggerate the lack of FA spending) is that they sign a veteran LB to improve the center of the field.  Brown being released helped and Dennard back also made a difference but they have been largely terrible in the second level of the defense.  I don't want a guy that we hope pans out, we need an immediate contributor.  
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 09:33 PM)Joelist Wrote: Poor scheming and coaching in the secondary contributes a lot to the problems. Let’s remember that Zimmer got really good secondary play out of similar players by tailoring his scheme to what they did well. He knew his players were much better in press man than in zone (especially the awful soft zones we seem to love) so he had a lot of man looks and fewer zone looks.

And we are still trying to play soft zones with players who are obviously better in man coverage.

I agree about scheme and coaching having a direct impact on the lack of plays being made by our secondary.  Many of our DBs were high picks, 1st and 2nd round talents, truly gifted athletes.  It's not like the forgot how to ball, it's that they aren't being coached to their strengths.  And to be honest, I really haven't noticed any of them come forward, in a leadership role, and take command of that secondary.  That secondary hasn't had an identity since 2015, Reggie Nelson was that vocal leader that called the shots out there, picked guys up after a bad play, and led by example with his fantastic instincts as an over the top defender.

We had one before Nelson, in Terrance Newman, and Chris Crocker before him.  Sure, coaching plays a huge role in their success or failure, but one of the players must also step into that leadership position, and hold his teammates accountable.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote