Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ's career franchise standings if he doesn't play this year
As it stands, AJ Green is second behind Chad Johnson in receptions, receiving yards, and TDs in franchise history.

1) Johnson - 751, 10783, 66
2) Green - 602, 8907, 63 (149 behind, 1876 behind, 3 behind)

It was thought by many (especially myself) that AJ was going to play some this season such that he would break the TDs record this year and probably break the receiving yards record next year if he stayed. He also is about 2 full seasons away from the receptions record.

Now, there's a chance he doesn't even break the receptions and yardage records even if he does re-sign, as that could be for only 1-2 years.
The TD record should still be very feasible even if he only plays one more year though.

If AJ doesn't end up breaking all of Chad's franchise records, will that change anyone's perception of Green?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 04:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: As it stands, AJ Green is second behind Chad Johnson in receptions, receiving yards, and TDs in franchise history.

It was thought by many (especially myself) that AJ was going to play some this season such that he would break the TDs record this year and probably break the receiving yards record next year if he stayed. He also is about 2 full seasons away from the receptions record.

Now, there's a chance he doesn't even break the receptions and yardage records even if he does re-sign, as that could be for only 1-2 years.
The TD record should still be very feasible even if he only plays one more year though.

If AJ doesn't end up breaking all of Chad's franchise records, will that change anyone's perception of Green?

It won't really change my perception of him, but it will really hurt his HoF chances.  It will be tough to put him in over Chad when he couldn't break Chad's records and Chad is going to be stuck in the logjam at WR for the foreseeable future.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 04:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: As it stands, AJ Green is second behind Chad Johnson in receptions, receiving yards, and TDs in franchise history.

I love AJ but I’d be lying if I said no. Chad will remain the GOAT as far as Bengals WR’s go. It’s crazy how durable he was considering how nasty the division was back then with Ray Lewis, and all the dirty Steelers.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 05:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I love AJ but I’d be lying if I said no. Chad will remain the GOAT as far as Bengals WR’s go. It’s crazy how durable he was considering how nasty the division was back then with Ray Lewis, and all the dirty Steelers.

It's actually pretty amazing to look and see that Chad only missed 10 regular season games his whole career.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 04:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If AJ doesn't end up breaking all of Chad's franchise records, will that change anyone's perception of Green?

I've been on record always stating that Chad is the best Bengals WR of all time. Even as recently as this offseason, I believe.

AJ is great, but he's never been the best WR in the league at any given time, like Chad was for a few years there.

(12-09-2019, 05:23 PM)Whatever Wrote: It won't really change my perception of him, but it will really hurt his HoF chances.

I think even if he stayed healthy, he would have needed to either play for a more famous team, or win some SBs to get in because from a purely statistical standpoint, he wouldn't make the cut.

He's never led the NFL in receiving yardage, or even been in the top-3. He was 5th one year, the only time he cracked top-5. He's never made 1st Team All-Pro.

AJ has been a great WR and great guy during his career, but it is hard to be put among the best WR of all time if you can't even be the best WR of your time. Julio Jones will have over a 3k yard lead on AJ after this season, and they are always going to be compared to each other because of being picked 2 spots apart.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
in before Chad had the better QB argument.

A legit one, but my belief remains. Chad was the better wideout.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 05:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I've been on record always stating that Chad is the best Bengals WR of all time. Even as recently as this offseason, I believe.

AJ is great, but he's never been the best WR in the league at any given time, like Chad was for a few years there.

I think even if he stayed healthy, he would have needed to either play for a more famous team, or win some SBs to get in because from a purely statistical standpoint, he wouldn't make the cut.

He's never led the NFL in receiving yardage, or even been in the top-3. He was 5th one year, the only time he cracked top-5. He's never made 1st Team All-Pro.

AJ has been a great WR and great guy during his career, but it is hard to be put among the best WR of all time if you can't even be the best WR of your time. Julio Jones will have over a 3k yard lead on AJ after this season, and they are always going to be compared to each other because of being picked 2 spots apart.

Chad might have been the best in the AFC for a few years, but idk that he was ever better than TO or Moss at any given time.

Reply/Quote
AJ will always be on my oh top 15 favorite Bengals list no matter where he ends up.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 06:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chad might have been the best in the AFC for a few years, but idk that he was ever better than TO or Moss at any given time.

2004-2006

Chad Johnson: 279 catches/4,075 yards (14.6 AVG)/25 TD (3x 1st Team All-Pro)
Terrell Owens: 209 catches/3,143 yards (15.0 AVG)/33 TD (1x 1st Team All-Pro)
Randy Moss: 151 catches/2,325 yards (15.4 AVG)/24 TD (0x 1st Team All-Pro)

He was arguably the best WR in the league during that time.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 05:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I love AJ but I’d be lying if I said no. Chad will remain the GOAT as far as Bengals WR’s go. It’s crazy how durable he was considering how nasty the division was back then with Ray Lewis, and all the dirty Steelers.

That's it.

Chad was not only a great player(fantastic footwork)but very durable.

He took some vicious hits in a time when they played Steelers/Ravens every year twice who had true slobberknocker players on D.

The rules still allowed players to take your head off without fear of suspension.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 06:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chad might have been the best in the AFC for a few years, but idk that he was ever better than TO or Moss at any given time.

He wasn't... He was better than Moss when he was mailing it in in Oakland, but that's about it. Steve Smith was also tearing it up in the NFC at that time, and Boldin and Fitzgerald weren't far behind. Anquan Boldin was really good in 2003.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 07:22 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 2004-2006

Chad Johnson: 279 catches/4,075 yards (14.6 AVG)/25 TD (3x 1st Team All-Pro)
Terrell Owens: 209 catches/3,143 yards (15.0 AVG)/33 TD (1x 1st Team All-Pro)
Randy Moss: 151 catches/2,325 yards (15.4 AVG)/24 TD (0x 1st Team All-Pro)

He was arguably the best WR in the league during that time.

Wasn't 05 the year that TO had his lil spat with the Eagles?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 08:30 PM)jason Wrote: Wasn't 05 the year that TO had his lil spat with the Eagles?

He only played in 7 games that year. Still put up 763 yds though. Even with my public school education I can due the math that he averaged 100+ yds a game.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 08:30 PM)jason Wrote: Wasn't 05 the year that TO had his lil spat with the Eagles?

Ah yes, the driveway pushup affair.  Good times.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 09:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He only played in 7 games that year. Still put up 763 yds though. Even with my public school education I can due the math that he averaged 100+ yds a game.

Yeah... Chad Johnson was never the best WR in the NFL. He was a damn good receiver at his height, but never the best.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 05:23 PM)Whatever Wrote: It won't really change my perception of him, but it will really hurt his HoF chances.  It will be tough to put him in over Chad when he couldn't break Chad's records and Chad is going to be stuck in the logjam at WR for the foreseeable future.

AJ has 0 shot at HOF. None.

He's had over 1078 yards 3 times in his career (9 years).

Julio Jones has been over 1400 yards 5 times! 5! And he's been over 1500 yards 3 times. And had 1871 yards. And he's still putting up big numbers. He had 1677 yards last year for instance.

AJ is vastly overrated by fans here. On his rookie contract, he was great. But, once he signed his 2nd contract he started to get injured A LOT.
Reply/Quote

Child please - kiss the baby.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 09:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He only played in 7 games that year. Still put up 763 yds though. Even with my public school education I can due the math that he averaged 100+ yds a game.

And yet one of the best abilities is availability.

...Or am I mistaken and we are all still calling Antonio Brown the best WR in the league right now?

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 08:28 PM)jason Wrote: He wasn't... He was better than Moss when he was mailing it in in Oakland, but that's about it. Steve Smith was also tearing it up in the NFC at that time, and Boldin and Fitzgerald weren't far behind. Anquan Boldin was really good in 2003.

If you cherry pick the absolute best portion of Chad career ('02-'07) you could argue (a big stretch) that he was the best.

He was 2nd to Torey Holt in receptions (590 to 531) and yards (8078 to 8036).

He was 6th in tds (48) behind Moss (71), TO (70), Marvin Harrison (61), Holt (52), and Whines Hard (50).

But Chad's 15.1 per catch was better than any of those guys.  Among the top 25 in receptions Plaxico Burress is the only other player with an average over 15, but Chad had over 150 more catches than Burress.

BTW I had completely forgotten how great Torey Holt was.  For almost a decade (8 years from '00 to '07) he dominated.  He was number one in receptions averaging 94 per year.  He was number one in yards (over 1200 more than Harrison) averaging 1385 per year.  And he was 4th in tds.  For his career he is 9th in receiving yards per game and he is tied with 4 other WRs for most 1600 yard seasons (2).

Why isn't Torey Holt in the Hall of Fame?
Reply/Quote

At this point im fine with chad retaining those records.
Reply/Quote