Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ's injury a blessing in disgise ?
Has the injury to AJ forced Dalton to go to different receivers? More trust in Ross? More involvement by the rest of the receiving corp. By not depending on him does it make the passing game less one dimensional? We can't read too much into just one game but if they are still successful Sunday it may mean great things for the offense when AJ comes back later this season.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 04:24 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Has the injury to AJ forced Dalton to go to different receivers? More trust in Ross? More involvement by the rest of the receiving corp. By not depending on him does it make the passing game less one dimensional? We can't read too much into just one game but if they are still successful Sunday it may mean great things for the offense when AJ comes back later this season.

it definitely helped guys like Tate and Willis get the reps they need to make sure they make the squad.   Not sure if its a blessing for this season but  could have a lasting impact if a guy like willis sticks around for a while.

Dalton looked pretty sharp  just imagine a healthy AJ in that mix.     

But yeah it definitely helped the guys that where on the outside looking in.    And if we can play well enough to be in contention then having a healthy Fresh aJ down the stretch will only be a good thing.
Reply/Quote
We say that every time he has been injured

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
If you aren't into winning then I guess having AJ Green out can be a sort of blessing, yes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think we all prefer AJ to play, but I certainly get the OP's point, and think it's legit.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 04:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If you aren't into winning then I guess having AJ Green out can be a sort of blessing, yes.

Rep.

Losing your best weapon that could have been the difference in a one point loss is never a blessing.  

Every team that has an elite WR throws the ball to him a lot.  That is not a bad thing.  In fact it is smart.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 05:05 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think we all prefer AJ to play, but I certainly get the OP's point, and think it's legit.

Ehh, we are 5-8-1 without AJ so development and a less one-dimensional passing game might be overrated.  Does this apply to other positions, though?  If Mixon is out will we be blessed to see more development of our RB room?  If we play the Steelers and Juju is out do we fear for how much Ben will spread the ball around?

The mind boggles.

Also, the OP talks about AJ being out as a blessing but then considers AJ coming back to be beneficial as well.  I get what he's trying to say that by the time AJ is back Ross and Tate will be better because Dalton had to throw the ball to them, but the whole thing is just too sour grape-ey to take too seriously. 

(09-13-2019, 05:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rep.

Losing your best weapon that could have been the difference in a one point loss is never a blessing.  

Every team that has an elite WR throws the ball to him a lot.  That is not a bad thing.  In fact it is smart.

I think it's just feel-good fandom, really and I get that.  I can see why people would view Brandon LaFell or Cody Core as a barrier to the development of Ross and company, but AJ Green?  Meh...he'll probably be gone next year anyways and Dalton can spread the ball around like dime-store butter.
Reply/Quote
Don't even know what he means by "one-dimensional". We already have developed a top WR to play opposite Green (Boyd).
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 05:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't even know what he means by "one-dimensional".  We already have developed a top WR to play opposite Green (Boyd).

I don't get it either.  Apparently a passing game with Green, Boyd, Eifert, Uzomah, Mixon/Gio, and whichever fringe WRs want to contribute is one-dimensional as long as AJ Green isn't in traction.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 05:05 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think we all prefer AJ to play, but I certainly get the OP's point, and think it's legit.

I agree.  For years, I've sort of thought that AJ was a bit of a security blanket for Andy.  There have been moments where I see Andy lock onto AJ with almost tunnel vision, much to the detriment of all the other receiving targets out there.  However, every time AJ gets injured, other receivers seem to become stars.

For example, look at Mo Sanu and Marvin Jones.  When AJ went down for a period in 2014, Andy was forced to rely on those two.  They both went on to land lucrative free agency deals, just a season later.  Now, look at Tyler Boyd.  When AJ was dinged up, Andy found faith in TB, and he just landed a nice extension with the Bengals.  Last week, it was John Ross to reap the benefits of AJ Green not being in the lineup.

So, yes I can see the OP's point.  Let's just hope that when AJ Green does return to the lineup, he doesn't get re-injured due to overwork..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 05:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ehh, we are 5-8-1 without AJ so development and a less one-dimensional passing game might be overrated.  Does this apply to other positions, though?  If Mixon is out will we be blessed to see more development of our RB room?  If we play the Steelers and Juju is out do we fear for how much Ben will spread the ball around?

The mind boggles.

Also, the OP talks about AJ being out as a blessing but then considers AJ coming back to be beneficial as well.  I get what he's trying to say that by the time AJ is back Ross and Tate will be better because Dalton had to throw the ball to them, but the whole thing is just too sour grape-ey to take too seriously. 

I think it's just feel-good fandom, really and I get that.  I can see why people would view Brandon LaFell or Cody Core as a barrier to the development of Ross and company, but AJ Green?  Meh...he'll probably be gone next year anyways and Dalton can spread the ball around like dime-store butter.

gotta find me some dime store butter.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 05:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree.  For years, I've sort of thought that AJ was a bit of a security blanket for Andy.  There have been moments where I see Andy lock onto AJ with almost tunnel vision, much to the detriment of all the other receiving targets out there.  However, every time AJ gets injured, other receivers seem to become stars.

For example, look at Mo Sanu and Marvin Jones.  When AJ went down for a period in 2014, Andy was forced to rely on those two.  They both went on to land lucrative free agency deals, just a season later.  Now, look at Tyler Boyd.  When AJ was dinged up, Andy found faith in TB, and he just landed a nice extension with the Bengals.  Last week, it was John Ross to reap the benefits of AJ Green not being in the lineup.

So, yes I can see the OP's point.  Let's just hope that when AJ Green does return to the lineup, he doesn't get re-injured due to overwork..

AJ Green has 1027 targets in 110 games which means he's targeted an average of 9.3 times per game.  Dalton targeted John Ross 12 times in week 1, so who is really being forced-fed targets here?

https://www.fftoday.com/stats/players/11858/A.J._Green
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 05:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: AJ Green has 1027 targets in 110 games which means he's targeted an average of 9.3 times per game.  Dalton targeted John Ross 12 times in week 1, so who is really being forced-fed targets here?

I know that "stats are stats", but I really think that number should be adjusted for games that he was completely healthy in.  I seem to remember several games where he had to leave early, and a few others where he was on the field, but not at full capacity.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I have a funny feeling that the 49ers will roll coverage towards Ross a bit ands they will then target Boyd and Willis.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 05:44 PM)Joelist Wrote: I have a funny feeling that the 49ers will roll coverage towards Ross a bit ands they will then target Boyd and Willis.

Sherman on Ross?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 05:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I know that "stats are stats", but I really think that number should be adjusted for games that he was completely healthy in.  I seem to remember several games where he had to leave early, and a few others where he was on the field, but not at full capacity.

Granted, if this were a dissertation I would have gone with his median number of catches, but my point remains.  We can call targeting AJ Green "one dimensional" but we're also celebrating the fact that John Ross was targeted more than AJ was in something like 90% of the games in his 8 year career.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 05:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree.  For years, I've sort of thought that AJ was a bit of a security blanket for Andy.  There have been moments where I see Andy lock onto AJ with almost tunnel vision, much to the detriment of all the other receiving targets out there.  However, every time AJ gets injured, other receivers seem to become stars.

Marvin Jones was hurt for the entire 2014 season. They had Sanu Greg Little Brandon Tate Dane Sanzenbacher Ryan Whalen and James Wright...

After typing that I can see why 2014 was Dalton's worst season lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 05:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: AJ Green has 1027 targets in 110 games which means he's targeted an average of 9.3 times per game.  Dalton targeted John Ross 12 times in week 1, so who is really being forced-fed targets here?

Dalton averages 32.8 attempts per game for his career.  Last week, he attempted over 50 passes.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 06:22 PM)Synric Wrote: Marvin Jones was hurt for the entire 2014 season. They had Sanu Greg Little Brandon Tate Dane Sanzenbacher Ryan Whalen and James Wright...

After typing that I can see why 2014 was Dalton's worst season lol.

What ever happened to budding superstars, like Christo Budikidi??  Mellow

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 06:27 PM)Whatever Wrote: Dalton averages 32.8 attempts per game for his career.  Last week, he attempted over 50 passes.

So let's see....32.8 attemps and 9.3 per game go to Green = 28.3%

Dalton had 51 attempts last week and 12 went to Ross and that = 23.5%

Ok, well I guess that means Ross wasn't target more than AJ Green.  Ok, well if that percentage goes any higher for Ross we'd better be upset that Dalton is getting tunnelvision for Ross, fair enough?
Reply/Quote