Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
AJ saying goodbye?
(12-18-2020, 02:51 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Really sad ends for AJ, Dunlap, and probably Geno.

I cannot stand my favorite team anymore. Good job, Zach!

Plenty of things to blame Zac for, but moving on from non-producing players is not one of them. 

We applaud other coaches when they do it. 

As to the OP: AJ was the most physically gifted WR in Bengal history, but not the best
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sad thing is over last 4 games he has improved some NFL team will get a bargain provided he stays healthy. It takes 2 seasons to return to form with the injury he had his age though he may never return to prime AJ.
Reply/Quote
I think what I’ll most remember AJ for is killing the Ravens.

But I can’t recall AJ showing up in the play offs. I think he was injured for a couple. That’s where it counts.

Bye AJ. Watched you play some great football, but you petered out too soon.
Reply/Quote
Chad had unbelievable footwork and was tough as nails.

AJ - Very very good and his humbleness was quite refreshing in this league

Chad - So GREAT He talked the talk and walked the walk for a while... and that's why he is special to me.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We can't have nice things.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 02:06 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Four years ago A J was the best WR who ever played for the Bengals.

Four years later, Chad remains the greatest WR in team history.

Just think what A J could have accomplished playing for one of the top 16 franchises.

Why would any  player who wants to win  ever agree to come to this organization?

A J, Geno, Carlos, all should be an example for Burrow.

Burrow should get out ASAP.

The chances of Burrow ending up with the Bengals like Carr or Mariota are far higher than him ending up as a Hall of Fame Super Bowl winner.

He is way too good for this sorry organization.

Why are you here?
Reply/Quote
Chad's footwork and route running were far superior. I've never seen a receiver with quicker feet.

AJ was a physical beast and caught a lot of contested balls. His route running was good--but his length made his feet pretty slow.

I'm not sure what the stats say, but I would venture to say AJ showed up against the tougher competition more consistently.
For a good stretch of his career, you could pretty much guarantee he gets either 100 yards or a TD (or both) every game.
He showed up against the Ravens pretty consistently, Chad didn't.
Chad seemed to get the majority of his yards and TDs against the weaker competition (but you could say that about any receiver).
They both got shut down at times by elite corners such as Ramsey and Sherman, but AJ seemed more capable of having bounce back games against them.
Chad wasn't as much of a TD machine, but got hella yards.

Chad played 10 years in Cincy, not really showing up as a rookie.
AJ is in his 10th year, was productive from day one, but his 8th and 9th years were lost years due to injury.
They have similar stats. AJ obtained his stats in less overall time on the field.

I would give the slight edge to AJ as the better/ more productive WR overall (it is really close to a push though). AJ was on pace to destroy Chad's numbers before the injuries.
Chad was better at getting wide open with his amazing route running. AJ was more of a contested catch and red zone machine.

I think if AJ goes to a franchise that knows how to use him better--a team with an elite QB--he could become relevant again. The coaching isn't doing a good job of scheming ways to get him the ball. This offense is more of a spread you out and hit the open receiver offense--without one receiver being the primary. AJ thrived being the primary receiver.

Both AJ and Chad struggled once they were put into a new system (Chad in NE, Green with Zac).
Both have great work ethic and want to be great.

With AJ having a down year, I see it quite likely that he takes less money to play for a contender and up his HOF potential. If he goes to GB for instance, him and Devante Adams would complement each other extremely well. Or in KC they could put him in Watkins role and I think he'd be more productive than Watkins as he's much better at contested catches. If he gets a Super Bowl and puts up a couple years with closer to 10 TDs, he has a shot at the HOF. If not he likely ends up with a career quite similar to Chad's.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 12:59 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I hate seeing of all positions the Bengals great WRs finishing
Their careers elsewhere...
Pickins and the Titans
Chad with New,England
TJ with Seahawks??

At least Collinsworth and Curtis played their whole careers
In Cincy.

Just depressing AJ ends his Bengal career with a clown for a coach

Doesn't matter, but TJ played for Baltimore and Oakland after Seattle. He was in Oakland with Palmer and Hue Jackson.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I don't care what any of you say. Stats be damned... Chad was never the best WR in the league. I like Chad as much as anybody but he wasn't better than Moss or Owens. I'm not positive he was better than Holt, Harrison, or Fitz either. I'd say he was basically on their level. I'm gonna go ahead and say AJ and Chad were both great Bengals WRs, and just about as good as any of their peers.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 05:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Plenty of things to blame Zac for, but moving on from non-producing players is not one of them. 

We applaud other coaches when they do it. 

As to the OP: AJ was the most physically gifted WR in Bengal history, but not the best

If that's the case then Zac needs to move on from every player not named Jesse, Tee, and Tyler. I guess he should move on from himself too.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 11:33 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Chad's footwork and route running were far superior. I've never seen a receiver with quicker feet.

AJ was a physical beast and caught a lot of contested balls. His route running was good--but his length made his feet pretty slow.

I'm not sure what the stats say, but I would venture to say AJ showed up against the tougher competition more consistently.
For a good stretch of his career, you could pretty much guarantee he gets either 100 yards or a TD (or both) every game.
He showed up against the Ravens pretty consistently, Chad didn't.
Chad seemed to get the majority of his yards and TDs against the weaker competition (but you could say that about any receiver).
They both got shut down at times by elite corners such as Ramsey and Sherman, but AJ seemed more capable of having bounce back games against them.
Chad wasn't as much of a TD machine, but got hella yards.

Chad played 10 years in Cincy, not really showing up as a rookie.
AJ is in his 10th year, was productive from day one, but his 8th and 9th years were lost years due to injury.
They have similar stats. AJ obtained his stats in less overall time on the field.

I would give the slight edge to AJ as the better/ more productive WR overall (it is really close to a push though). AJ was on pace to destroy Chad's numbers before the injuries.
Chad was better at getting wide open with his amazing route running. AJ was more of a contested catch and red zone machine.

I think if AJ goes to a franchise that knows how to use him better--a team with an elite QB--he could become relevant again. The coaching isn't doing a good job of scheming ways to get him the ball. This offense is more of a spread you out and hit the open receiver offense--without one receiver being the primary. AJ thrived being the primary receiver.

Both AJ and Chad struggled once they were put into a new system (Chad in NE, Green with Zac).
Both have great work ethic and want to be great.

With AJ having a down year, I see it quite likely that he takes less money to play for a contender and up his HOF potential. If he goes to GB for instance, him and Devante Adams would complement each other extremely well. Or in KC they could put him in Watkins role and I think he'd be more productive than Watkins as he's much better at contested catches. If he gets a Super Bowl and puts up a couple years with closer to 10 TDs, he has a shot at the HOF. If not he likely ends up with a career quite similar to Chad's.

AJ never really got shut down by Richard Sherman. He had 6 for 78 in 2015. Sherman didn't shadow him that game, but I know they lined up on each other, and AJ held his own. I can't find his numbers from the 2011 game, but Sherman wasn't Sherman yet at that time anyway. I seem to recall AJ catching a pretty long TD in that game though.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
AJ will always be on my list of favorite Bengals but I would not rank him above Chad.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2020, 12:17 AM)jason Wrote: If that's the case then Zac needs to move on from every player not named Jesse, Tee, and Tyler. I guess he should move on from himself too.

Of course you're mad at Zac, but what you say does not dispute what I asserted.

WTS: A number of other players have produced. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I would take Chad over AJ but it’s close

One former Bengal who I think was as good as Chad and AJ is Carl Pickens. I wonder what he could have done playing with the ‘05 or ‘15 offenses on playoff teams with good talent. I remember him having some great catches and games vs Pittsburgh but he played during the teams worst years (90s). Unfortunately he didn’t leave that attitude and aggression on the field.
Reply/Quote
Right now I would say they are very close to even looking at their numbers/impact. What AJ does the next couple years will determine if he’s merely even with Chad’s career (or lesser as most have argued here), or if he ends up being the better wideout overall.
Reply/Quote
Watching AJ’s career highlights on YouTube is a must see before he potentially leaves the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 02:51 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Really sad ends for AJ, Dunlap, and probably Geno.

I cannot stand my favorite team anymore. Good job, Zach!

Same, I'm gonna be sad seeing AJ and Geno leave Sad
Reply/Quote
goodbye aj and geno, thanks for the dalton years
Reply/Quote
Dunlap and Dalton I'm sure are glad they left.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 06:31 PM)Destro Wrote: Dunlap and Dalton I'm sure are glad they left.

Dunlap had a crucial sack late in the game today... Washed up.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote