Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ says ML leaving is the spark we needed
Not to quote Stephen A, but is there any other head coach who went 16 years without a playoff victory? No disrespect to Marv, but he got his chance and more. A generation practically.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 12:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The players would HAVE to welcome him back, it is their jobs.
Not any different from saying the players HAVE to say the move to get rid of him was what they need.
I don't think there is a single person here who did not want Marvin gone, but the players worked with him personally and probably supported him.  All of this talk about how the players felt is just speculation.  You claim they all agree with you because that is what you want to believe.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 12:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin haters will see what they want to see but I think Sheeran nailed it

So, I think he’s kind of taken it upon himself to kind of say: ‘This is the direction, or type of P.R. we’re going to go into because Marvin’s gone and there’s not a whole lot we can do about that right now.’ And, I do think that players would have welcomed Marvin back because he was well-liked in that locker room and is a ‘player’s coach’, but I think that Green realizes the reality and face it head-on.”

Translation--he was our friend and father figure and we love him.

No mention of he was the guy who could take us to the promised land.  NONE.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 11:59 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He usually doesn't say anything like that, i think it says something. All class AJ but man did this team look stale the last few years.

(02-01-2019, 12:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well, there have been rumblings lately that lend credence to the OP....Big Los' tweet, AJ fighting at JAX, etc.  I think the veterans on the team are probably ready for a different philosophy.

Yep, the players knew a change was necessary and way overdue, just like we all did.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 01:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not any different from saying the players HAVE to say the move to get rid of him was what they need.
I don't think there is a single person here who did not want Marvin gone, but the players worked with him personally and probably supported him.  All of this talk about how the players felt is just speculation.  You claim they all agree with you because that is what you want to believe.

These players are professionals and want to win a ring.

This is the bottomline and not near as prepostorous as saying they would want him back.

I am free to speculate but all of this Defending Marv is getting old. He is gone and we needed a spark as AJ here says.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 11:55 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: [Image: e1lzMIOj76m8yAUW?format=jpg&name=small]

"I'm fine coach, he just barely brushed my helmet.... let me shoot the 3..."
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 12:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: AJ saying things got stale here and they need a new spark is not really a shot at Lewis.... most winning coaches also get replaced after awhile, because that's what happens. Sometimes you just need new eyes and ideas, otherwise, the teams you play regularly get used to what your doing.

I agree.  I don't think it was a shot at all, as much as it is recognizing that things needed mixed up a bit.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 02:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree.  I don't think it was a shot at all, as much as it is recognizing that things needed mixed up a bit.

100 % agree

It wasn't a shot at Marvin and that's not how I meant it. Just an acknowledgment that Marvin's message had gotten stale and it was time to move on.

I doubt the players hate Marvin and neither do I. I believe he's a good guy. He's just not a HC who's capable of getting us to the next level.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 03:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 100 % agree

It wasn't a shot at Marvin and that's not how I meant it. Just an acknowledgment that Marvin's message had gotten stale and it was time to move on.

I doubt the players hate Marvin and neither do I. I believe he's a good guy. He's just not a HC who's capable of getting us to the next level.

Absolutely agree '74.  I didn't take it that way from your OP either.  I think, well pretty much know, these guys loved Marvin.  I think the problem was two fold....it had gotten stale, and players had become a little lax due to comfort with him.

I have good memories of Marvin, and will forever be grateful to him for making NFL football fun again.  After the 90s, it was sure refreshing for a while.  The postseason and big game letdowns became too much for me in the end, and may have for the players as well.  It's similar to Lazor, most everyone here felt it was definitely time to move on from him as OC, but damned if I'm not grateful to him for pushing back on Piano Man, and exposing the arrogance we all assumed was the issue there.  He inadvertently made the team's future better off by taking that stand.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
AJ is only saying what is obvious, and what practically every single person knew, except for Mike Brown apparently.
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 09:37 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And you know if AJ is saying it I'd guess more players were in line with the majority of the fans line of thinking than Dre K led us to believe.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/31/18204919/coaching-change-providing-bengals-veterans-a-needed-spark

Dre K can get out of Cincinnati for all I care. He learned to play footballs in drama class and even his drama is lamer than his skills. WTS, I won’t rant on him because I believe I’ve made it pretty clear of my opinions of him on this board. LOL

I think AJ meant exactly what he said and this change is going to spark what has been a predictable, stale team. Rather it brings us a playoff win or SB in our future remains to be seen. However, if we continue to fail in that category, it won’t be like we fell from dynasty status to mediocrity. We’ve already been here for sometime. Just fun to see the FO finally try something different.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 01:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not any different from saying the players HAVE to say the move to get rid of him was what they need.

I don’t think many hated Marvin the man, only his results. But your right, it would be hard to find those who wanted him to stay. As for the players, I doubt all of them wanted Marvin gone because a few were ok with making money with no repercussions on subpar performances. However, those that want to win probably wanted him outta here.

When ZT gets here, he may have to begin with the basics of all basics in that locker room, which will be a culture change. If your not hear to win? Get out!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 09:09 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don’t think many hated Marvin the man, only his results. But your right, it would be hard to find those who wanted him to stay. As for the players, I doubt all of them wanted Marvin gone because a few were ok with making money with no repercussions on subpar performances. However, those that want to win probably wanted him outta here.

When ZT gets here, he may have to begin with the basics of all basics in that locker room, which will be a culture change. If your not hear to win? Get out!

You would think a locker room with Dalton, AJ, Geno, Carlos and the rest would not need a culture change. I think they all want to win, but have become accustomed to being mediocre.  Over the last year I couldn't help think the only person in there who really gave a damn was Jones, and he was let go. I will say towards the end of the year Mixon seemed to pick up that fire and desire. Now, whether that was for teams wins or personal stats is a matter of debate.
Reply/Quote
These players are just going to follow the narrative of the NFL.

Younger and more progressive coaching.

Nothing more.  Nothing less.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Biased reporting is biased. The article coukld have just as easily been titled "It's going to be tough without Marvin" .

WTS, I think we all knew it was past time for a change. Marvin gave us the best he had coaching under conditions that many coaches failed miserably. Let him go.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 10:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You would think a locker room with Dalton, AJ, Geno, Carlos and the rest would not need a culture change. I think they all want to win, but have become accustomed to being mediocre.  Over the last year I couldn't help think the only person in there who really gave a damn was Jones, and he was let go. I will say towards the end of the year Mixon seemed to pick up that fire and desire. Now, whether that was for teams wins or personal stats is a matter of debate.

I think Mixon's fire is for team wins... After the last game, he was woofing about making the playoffs in 2019. His only taste of being a loser has been his first two NFL seasons, and decking a girl one night... I don't think he likes it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 10:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You would think a locker room with Dalton, AJ, Geno, Carlos and the rest would not need a culture change. I think they all want to win, but have become accustomed to being mediocre.  Over the last year I couldn't help think the only person in there who really gave a damn was Jones, and he was let go. I will say towards the end of the year Mixon seemed to pick up that fire and desire. Now, whether that was for teams wins or personal stats is a matter of debate.

I would put Boyd in there, he played clutch and really grew into a very good #2 WR last season, he played with heart.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 11:55 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: [Image: e1lzMIOj76m8yAUW?format=jpg&name=small]

(02-01-2019, 12:22 PM)grampahol Wrote: Funny that in almost every video of people speaking you can stop it almost anywhere along the way to catch goofy looks. It's not indicitive of how they think or speak,,

I thought that was just him doing his Jerome Simpson impersonation. Spot on.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 05:44 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I thought that was just him doing his Jerome Simpson impersonation. Spot on.

As regards Jerome, if you're gonna have one moment define you, his is pretty damn good.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis was the shot in the arm the Bengals needed in 2003 and under his tutelage Cincinnati fielded some awesome teams. However, the game changed but Marvin didn’t.
Reply/Quote