Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3-Safety Personnel?
(05-04-2018, 01:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You don't think Malik can play SAM Ocho? I do.

He is a very good athlete that can cover, shed blocks and stop the run.

He might, but I think his athleticism caters best to WILL. He'll need improved instincts if he's to become a 3-down MIKE.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It seemz to be that the dudez that can pass rusher at LB are the ones that make a quick transition to the NFL like Carl Lawson.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 01:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He might, but I think his athleticism caters best to WILL. He'll need improved instincts if he's to become a 3-down MIKE.

That is why i see him as a SAM, not a MIKE. He doesn't have the best instincts, he is young and raw and needs
to just play football. Preston will be the SAM and we have tons of WILL backers, what we need is a SAM backer
and i think Malik can be that for us. Vigil and Evans did not look good at SAM and that is being very kind.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2018, 07:53 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Shaw will probably be in the mix a bunch

Shaw was one of my biggest disappointments last year.  He just seemed to fall off a cliff from very promising to non-factor?  I would have thought he would be working harder for that next contract.  Maybe he was injured?  Who knows.  He just looked like he wasn't interested?  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 07:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Shaw was one of my biggest disappointments last year.  He just seemed to fall off a cliff from very promising to non-factor?  I would have thought he would be working harder for that next contract.  Maybe he was injured?  Who knows.  He just looked like he wasn't interested?  

Yeah Shaw was great the year before in the Slot, just hope it was an injury and not something in his head.

Has tons of talent. Physical and can cover.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2018, 02:05 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I am assuming that Williams will be a LB and to not hurt his feelings they will call him a safety. Similar to what the Rams did Barron and what the Cardnials did with Buchanan.

That's exactly what I thought of, too.  I think Williams is a fairly ideal player for that role.  Not really a true linebacker, but not quite a safety, either.  

I'd welcome this kind of personnel shift.  This team has not been overly successful when it comes to drafting linebackers of late.  If they can utilize a defense that limits the need for more than a couple of decent ones, then that's just fine by me.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 02:40 PM)samhain Wrote: That's exactly what I thought of, too.  I think Williams is a fairly ideal player for that role.  Not really a true linebacker, but not quite a safety, either.  

I'd welcome this kind of personnel shift.  This team has not been overly successful when it comes to drafting linebackers of late.  If they can utilize a defense that limits the need for more than a couple of decent ones, then that's just fine by me.

If this is what actually happens and they go with the ball-hawking JBIII in the FS spot and move Williams to that nickel backer role, not only do I think it would be incredibly successful, but I think it would be finally a sign that they are going to stop stuffing a square peg in a round hole.  They invested in Williams, and he has been solid, but his weakness is the instincts needed for an over-the-top defender.  That was exactly the opposite of what Jacksonville was trying to do with Reggie Nelson.   They wanted him in more of an in-the-box safety, and although Reggie could lay the wood, he was better suited for the FS role.

Although JBIII has some holes in his game when it comes to tackling, I hope we see him on the field sooner than later.  
Reply/Quote
Should be interesting

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2018, 06:45 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: For me it would be Bates at FS, Iloka at SS and Williams at nickel LB.

That's my kid in your Avi. Thanks for stepping up and doing the step dad role. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 06:55 PM)Synric Wrote: 3 safety formations is nothing new. The Bengals used it quite a bit last year against teams like Green Bay and the Lions.

THis^^

It's called Big Nickel, as you are running a nickel package with a safety replacing the slot corner.  The Bengals have used it a ton in the Lewis era.  In fact, that was one of the reasons they always loved Chris Crocker so much, because he gave them that ability.
Reply/Quote
Bates seems like the kind of draft pick that Marvin will sit on the bench for 2 yearz to develop. I hope I'm wrong, but if dude don't like to tackle...they may not play him much.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 02:45 PM)Neon Icon Wrote: Bates seems like the kind of draft pick that Marvin will sit on the bench for 2 yearz to develop. I hope I'm wrong, but if dude don't like to tackle...they may not play him much.

If he does what he's good at, and get's plenty of PDs and INTs, he shouldn't have to do a lot of tackling.  And, if you're using your over the top guy for run support, you're not using him correctly.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think his skillset is needed too. But, I could name player after player who as a rookie or 2nd year guy had a skillset that the Bengals needed and didn't play.

Look at Ross and Westerman last year. Hopkins was soo bad and Westerman didn't get reps until the end of the year. The offense needed speed at WR and Ross sat the bench. They also brought Jackson along slow ever though it was apparent he was the best CB. Giving MJ insanely more snaps over Willis.

I could prob name others too.

Bates needs to see the field a decent bit as pass coverage from Safety is a big need.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 06:00 PM)Neon Icon Wrote: Bates needs to see the field a decent bit as pass coverage from Safety is a big need.

Agreed, and they need to use him in the FS, over the top coverage role.  Ever since Nelson went down the road, they have been playing two classic Strong Safeties, and the deep coverage has suffered because of it.  

On a side note, were you someone else on the old boards?  You sorta remind me of someone I used to know.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote