Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AJ says Ross is healthy and explosive again
I figure his non-season last year either had to do with lingering injuries we weren't privy to, or the guy simply couldn't run routes.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
It doesn't mean Marvin Lewis is going to play Ross. Ross is essentially a rookie and he will favor playing vets.

In addition Andy Dalton's going to need time for Ross to run his a long routes, unless he runs Crossing patterns over the middle which could get him killed.

Think about it. The Bengals still have Boyd, Malone, Core, Green, Erickson, and LaFell who are all with playing experience. The only way Ross is going to see the field if somebody gets cut. He will be used sparingly in certain packages.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That's great he has all that confidence pulsing through him, I'm not a doctor but I don't think that makes him less injury prone. It's sort of unrealistic for Ross and Eifert to work between the hash marks and us to think they won't have a lot of wear. They're fun toys while you've got em, just don't depend on them.
Reply/Quote
All this talk about his greatness and speed but had ZERO catches last season. I am trying to avoid reading about this guy as much as possible considering all the hype and we don't even know if the line will hold this season or if Andy will be on target, let alone if this guy will as BIG BOSS says " either had to do with lingering injuries we weren't privy to, or the guy simply couldn't run routes".
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 09:01 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Things are starting to sound very positive.
Price in as C, hopefully the rest of the O-Line falls into place and with Ross, AJ , Boyd, Bernard and Mixon along with a fit Eifert, . I feel we can have a great season if Dalton stays healthy

I'm still somewhat nervous about the right side of the OL, but if RG and/or RT can't get solidified this year, it will very likely be addressed next year. Make or break for the likes of Fisher, Westerman (personal favorite), Redmond, Ogbuehi, and Hopkins.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 09:59 AM)phil413 Wrote: That's great he has all that confidence pulsing through him, I'm not a doctor but I don't think that makes him less injury prone.  It's sort of unrealistic for Ross and Eifert to work between the hash marks and us to think they won't have a lot of wear.  They're fun toys while you've got em, just don't depend on them.

The last 2 receivers taken by the Steelers in the 2nd round (JuJu and James Washington) have body types that appear to me to be strong and stout making them tough to tackle once they catch the ball.

JuJu - 6'1 tall and 216 pounds

James Washington  6' tall and 205 pounds

The Steelers may be looking for a better shot at durability plus a tough to tackle running back type running quality after the catch out of their recently drafted 2nd round receivers.

It may be that the Steelers are purposely looking for this quality.
Reply/Quote
This is all good to hear, but time will tell.  Housh said that they were going to work together again before camp.....if he does that and stays healthy, I think he could do some good things this year.  TJ was a tactician, you combine his mechanics and focus with that speed, it could be very dangerous.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I don't exactly expect AJ to come out and say Ross is a wasted pick even if he was or wasn't. We'll know one way or another sometime later in the season. 
I'm hopeful he lives up to his draft slot, but even if he plays like a 7th rounder it doesn't matter. Plenty of 7th round players have been pretty darn good over the years.. Of course even if he catches 90 passes for 1500 yards and 15 TDs someone will say , "Yeah but he was a first round pick and should have made 16 TDs and 1501 yards! ..not to mention his first season. "  Some players can never be good enough for some fans and  really , aren't those fans opinions the only thing that has ever mattered?  Nervous
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 09:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: AJ is the anti-Chad.

Both truly elite receivers, but total opposits personality wise.

And he's working with Housh - another hard working student of the game.   And I think Housh is a good teacher.  He's committed to working with Ross through training camp.   Really good people to school Ross on the pro game.   And both of them know how to take care of their bodies.   Housh had to overcome  a chronic hamstring problem that kept him off the field for almost a year.   He researched it and did what it took to solve the problem for good.

Excited about the possibilities.  Guarded, but excited.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 12:06 PM)3wt Wrote: And he's working with Housh - another hard working student of the game.   And I think Housh is a good teacher.  He's committed to working with Ross through training camp.   Really good people to school Ross on the pro game.   And both of them know how to take care of their bodies.   Housh had to overcome  a chronic hamstring problem that kept him off the field for almost a year.   He researched it and did what it took to solve the problem for good.

Excited about the possibilities.  Guarded, but excited.

There's alot to like about Jon Ross! He is doing what is needed to get on the field and make this team a better one. Not sure why people are taking this wrong? He was injured last year, it's not like we were going anywhere anyway....
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 08:09 PM)Trademark Wrote: He’s got his confidence back,” Green told Sporting News of Ross. “The way he’s working this offseason is unbelievable. He’s healthy and explosive again.”

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/5/3/17315036/aj-green-says-john-ross-healthy-explosive-again-bengals-wide-receiver

Great news. :andy:

Look out Ross haters, this guy could be that X-factor in our Receiving corps. I am telling you he reminds me of a
faster Antonio Brown but actually is humble and has class. He can make CB's look stupid out there with his quick
feet, twitch and ability to get up to speed so fast. Working with Housh is just the start.

Ross needed an entire Offseason to get his shoulder ready and pump the weights.

With this guy and Eifert healthy again i see our Red Zone Offense really improving. Not to mention Dalton finally
having some time to get these guys the ball and us having a decent running game.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 09:34 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I figure his non-season last year either had to do with lingering injuries we weren't privy to, or the guy simply couldn't run routes.

It was the lingering injuries.

John Ross had the widest route tree of all the WR's in his Draft in college.

(05-04-2018, 09:58 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: It doesn't mean Marvin Lewis is going to play Ross.  Ross is essentially a rookie and he will favor playing vets.

In addition Andy Dalton's going to need time for Ross to run his a long routes, unless he runs Crossing patterns over the middle which could get him killed.

Think about it.  The Bengals still have Boyd, Malone, Core, Green, Erickson, and LaFell who are all with playing experience. The only way Ross is going to see the field if somebody gets cut.  He will be used sparingly in certain packages.

I usually agree with you Psych, but Ross is a 1st round pick and he just has to be healthy and Marv will play him.

Just watch, he will be used a lot, not sparingly in just some certain packages.

That is, if he is healthy. He wasn't healthy last year.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 08:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Skeptically optimistic...

Other than the Oline gelling, getting Ross going is probably the most important piece of the puzzle for this team to be successful.

Right. If Green, Ross and the TE's,other WR's play well and the o-Line is aboove average... the Bengals CAN have a nice year.

I'm...." cautiouslly optimistic'   I EXPECT we're above .500 but see a shot at playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 08:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He certainly can't hurt his chances of getting his mojo back by working with AJ.  AJ strikes me as the type of worker that if something he wanted to do didn't turn out right the first time, he would likely spend the rest of the day teaching himself how to do it without even having to think about it.

he was getting some tutoring from that guy that announced one of our draft picks.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 01:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It was the lingering injuries.

John Ross had the widest route tree of all the WR's in his Draft in college.

I usually agree with you Psych, but Ross is a 1st round pick and he just has to be healthy and Marv will play him.

Just watch, he will be used a lot, not sparingly in just some certain packages.

That is, if he is healthy. He wasn't healthy last year.

You do NOT  ...NEVER draft a guy top 10 then just throw him under the bus.  it hardly takes a genius to figure how the FASTEST guy in the NFL might be useful.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 09:59 AM)phil413 Wrote: That's great he has all that confidence pulsing through him, I'm not a doctor but I don't think that makes him less injury prone.  It's sort of unrealistic for Ross and Eifert to work between the hash marks and us to think they won't have a lot of wear.  They're fun toys while you've got em, just don't depend on them.

How many injuries did he have in college before needing the shoulder surgery?

If you ever been injured one of the easiest things to do is overwork the other side when recovering and injure that as well... Which seemed to be ross last year.

Fully healthy

Time to practice and learn the offense..  Ross should be fine.. And  will definitely play if healthy(which is about every starter).  
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 02:49 PM)redwood Wrote: You do NOT  ...NEVER draft a guy top 10 then just throw him under the bus.  it hardly takes a genius to figure how the FASTEST guy in the NFL might be useful.

Speed is good, but there are also a lot of other qualities that go into making a good football player.  Also, fumbling away one's first touch as a professional is not always a great way to win friends and influence people.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 03:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Speed is good, but there are also a lot of other qualities that go into making a good football player.  Also, fumbling away one's first touch as a professional is not always a great way to win friends and influence people.

Kareem Hunt fumbled his first NFL carry. Ross will be fine.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 09:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Great News ! I sure hope Ross gets on track this season.

Our new draft pick the running back Walton is going to be a top stud in our team.He is 100 mph energy and that will have an effect on the whole team.I can see us being a force in our division.This good vibe all depends on how this coaching staff puts this team together and for me in the past that has not been too good.We need top top coaching to allow all these players to do their best.We have a ton of talent,I mean we got 3 tight ends that can all catch the rock and block,we have Hewitt who to me is the best blocking full back in all of nfl, and he can catch the rock also.We have like 8 receivers that can run and catch and we just drafted a 6ft 5in wide receiver who is a beast in the red zone.I say tie marvin lewis up in his office and let the OC and DC run the game.We need top coaching and if we fail this year it will be coaching because we got top talent in this team.That Walton back from the U. is going to bring it.I cannot wait to see him run.He is like a greyhound and he is going to be so much fun to watch this guy bring it.Our coaching has to bring it every game.They are the key to all of this,believe that.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 03:31 PM)Codyc99 Wrote: Kareem Hunt fumbled his first NFL carry. Ross will be fine.

Hunt wasn't a huge reach, like Ross was.

This is an interesting read..

https://www.mercurynews.com/2014/05/04/nfl-draft-raiders-obsession-with-speed-slowed-their-progress/

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote