Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AJ says Ross is healthy and explosive again
Hope so. We'll see soon enough.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 02:49 PM)redwood Wrote: You do NOT  ...NEVER draft a guy top 10 then just throw him under the bus.  it hardly takes a genius to figure how the FASTEST guy in the NFL might be useful.

I think all that is over now, Ross is healthy. No reason to throw him under the bus anymore even though i
never understood it in the first place. He needs more than a handful of snaps before anyone should judge
him.

(05-04-2018, 03:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Speed is good, but there are also a lot of other qualities that go into making a good football player.  Also, fumbling away one's first touch as a professional is not always a great way to win friends and influence people.

Ross is a football player, he had a wide route tree in college, has great hands, speed, quickness, runs crisp
routes and is amazing in space. He is not a track guy and you don't just give up on a football player when he
fumbles on his first touch that any player would fumble on.

Just happy now he will get a chance and people will see what i see.

Could be one of the most electric playmakers in the NFL, yes just as good as AJ Green.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 12:55 PM)sandwedge Wrote: There's alot to like about Jon Ross! He is doing what is needed to get on the field and make this team a better one. Not sure why people are taking this wrong? He was injured last year, it's not like we were going anywhere anyway....

Performance is everything.   He had a bad year and injuries, while not his fault, were his M.O. and confirmed everyone's worst fears.

We have not really had a successful small receiver here.  Shipley was good but fragile.   Of the small receivers who avoided injuries, Little Hawk was the best.

High risk high reward pick.   Hoping we cash in on the reward.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 03:43 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Our new draft pick the running back Walton is going to be a top stud in our team.He is 100 mph energy and that will have an effect on the whole team.I can see us being a force in our division.This good vibe all depends on how this coaching staff puts this team together and for me in the past that has not been too good.We need top top coaching to allow all these players to do their best.We have a ton of talent,I mean we got 3 tight ends that can all catch the rock and block,we have Hewitt who to me is the best blocking full back in all of nfl, and he can catch the rock also.We have like 8 receivers that can run and catch and we just drafted a 6ft 5in wide receiver who is a beast in the red zone.I say tie marvin lewis up in his office and let the OC and DC run the game.We need top coaching and if we fail this year it will be coaching because we got top talent in this team.That Walton back from the U. is going to bring it.I cannot wait to see him run.He is like a greyhound and he is going to be so much fun to watch this guy bring it.Our coaching has to bring it every game.They are the key to all of this,believe that.

I looked at his film and the kid is truly dynamic.  Hits the hole hard and accelerates instantly.  Great vision and contact balance.

But I do not expect to see him after pre-season unless Gio gets hurt.   It took Rudi Johnson years to get into the lineup after killing it for 2-3 pre-seasons.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 05:23 PM)3wt Wrote: I looked at his film and the kid is truly dynamic.  Hits the hole hard and accelerates instantly.  Great vision and contact balance.

But I do not expect to see him after pre-season unless Gio gets hurt.   It took Rudi Johnson years to get into the lineup after killing it for 2-3 pre-seasons.

Expect him to make an impact on ST's  but yeah its the Mixon Gio show on the field.   But Walton is a good insurance policy and RBs don't last forever
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 10:02 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: All this talk about his greatness and speed but had ZERO catches last season. I am trying to avoid reading about this guy as much as possible considering all the hype and we don't even know if the line will hold this season or if Andy will be on target, let alone if this guy will as BIG BOSS says " either had to do with lingering injuries we weren't privy to, or the guy simply couldn't run routes".

They went over all that happened with injuries after the season.

Ross even came out and said he was hurt and trying to hide it in practice instead of getting it taken care of.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 08:09 PM)Trademark Wrote: He’s got his confidence back,” Green told Sporting News of Ross. “The way he’s working this offseason is unbelievable. He’s healthy and explosive again.”

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/5/3/17315036/aj-green-says-john-ross-healthy-explosive-again-bengals-wide-receiver

Cue the crystal ballers to run in and pronounce him a bust.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 05:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Expect him to make an impact on ST's  but yeah its the Mixon Gio show on the field.   But Walton is a good insurance policy and RBs don't last forever

Just read the article on bengals.com. Knew Walton had a damn tough life, but damn cannot help but root
for the guy. Mark Walton's story is as inspiring as Shaquem Griffin's easily. Dude has mad heart, but not
only that, has a lot of talent to boot. Loving the pick more and more and didn't like it initially.

And oh yeah, back to the thread, look for John Ross to really bring something new to this Offense we
haven't had since Hawkins if he can stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 09:19 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: You are right about 85 but my only concern is if Dalton goes down it could be a long hard season , I don't think we have anyone else on the team that can step up.

Na, Driskell will step up.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 09:27 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Na, Driskell will step up.

Driskell still needs to win the backup job. People are acting like it’s a foregone conclusion that’s it’s already his.

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 04:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Could be one of the most electric playmakers in the NFL, yes just as good as AJ Green.

I know people get all crazy optimistic about the latest unproven new guys around this time of year...but come on man. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 02:35 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I know people get all crazy optimistic about the latest unproven new guys around this time of year...but come on man. 

I agree.  There WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER AJ GREEN.  He was ready to play Day 1.  I almost tear up thinking of him retiring.. . knowing he'll be gone some day.  I'll take AJ Green over Ocho cinco, Housh, Carl Pickens, Darnay Scott.. 
Reply/Quote
From the start I hated the John Ross pick. He's an undersized player with a long list of serious injuries. I feel it's a wasted pick unless he starts putting up 900-1100 yard seasons with 7-9 TD's. I don't think this will ever be the case, but I do hope I'm wrong and he helps alleviate some of the pressure off of Green and Dalton as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 02:39 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I just love it because, if he can get on the field, it opens things up for AJ because he knows that teams will have to pay attention to Ross, which will draw coverage away from him.

Mixon also benefits from this because it's hard to bring a safety into the box when we have two deep threats.

It's times like these that make me even more mad that we didn't address our line more in the draft because, if Andy has time, we have some amazing weapons.

Let's hope Pollack can coach them up or that we'll get some quality free agents, maybe after some guys get cut.

Like I said, if the line didn't worry me, this praise from AJ would have me BEYOND pumped up.

lol@ praise from AJ..what do u think hes gona say..AJ should concentrate on making catches when we need him too
ross was a terrible pick..a 1st round bust
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 10:04 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm still somewhat nervous about the right side of the OL, but if RG and/or RT can't get solidified this year, it will very likely be addressed next year. Make or break for the likes of Fisher, Westerman (personal favorite), Redmond, Ogbuehi, and Hopkins.

westerman is a solid guard..thinks Fisher will be fine
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 08:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Stellar news. If it's accurate, we can expect a very lethal combination in our receiving corps!

doubts ross even makes the team..he was a terrible 1st round pick
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 09:58 AM)cooper Wrote: doubts ross even makes the team..he was a terrible 1st round pick

I don't think you are serious.  I think you are just trolling.  But I know one way to find out.

I'll make a sig bet with you right now that Ross makes the team.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 09:58 AM)cooper Wrote: doubts ross even makes the team..he was a terrible 1st round pick

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 04:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think all that is over now, Ross is healthy. No reason to throw him under the bus anymore even though i
never understood it in the first place. He needs more than a handful of snaps before anyone should judge
him.

Ross is a football player, he had a wide route tree in college, has great hands, speed, quickness, runs crisp
routes and is amazing in space. He is not a track guy and you don't just give up on a football player when he
fumbles on his first touch that any player would fumble on.

Just happy now he will get a chance and people will see what i see.

Could be one of the most electric playmakers in the NFL, yes just as good as AJ Green.

While I understand what you are saying, it was picking Ross with the #9 pick instead of trading back and taking a OT and getting an extra pick, which could have been used on a Center, that cost the team dearly. Or the team could have picked Derek Barnett who would be replacing Michael Johnson already. Either way, the team would have had much more contribution from their 2017 1st round selection.

The team had plenty of offers to move back and should have taken one of them. Reminds me of the Akili Smith pick where Mike Brown overruled the coaches and made his favorite pick, which is exactly what he did with the Ross pick.

In the last 5 years Ross has had two backup years (208 yards and 371 yards), one year gone with injury, one really good year (1150 yards and 17 TDs, although against Pac-12 defenses) and one horrible year where he had zero catches, one fumble and hid an injury. He was also a healthy scratch for several games and he even posted videos of practice showing how he was ready to go but the coaches are just against him.

NFL defensive minds are pretty smart, and they are very good at adjusting to new wrinkles in offenses. They took away RGIII's best play and everyone found out that he's really only a backup QB after all, no matter what his college stats were.

Now it's not Ross's fault that he was picked #9. That mistake is squarely on Mike Brown, who made the call. But how Ross's season turned out was his own fault. Hiding the injury probably cost him some healthy games at the end of the season, but instead it never healed and he ended up on IR. 

On the other hand, AJ Green has never had a bad year. Not in college and not in the pros. He has missed games due to injury, but he always seems to still have the production other receivers would love to have.

I hope Ross does have a good season, but until he actually has one it's only unrealized potential. It's good that he worked with TJ. But now he has to actually go do it in games against real NFL defenders.

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 02:35 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I know people get all crazy optimistic about the latest unproven new guys around this time of year...but come on man. 

Man, some people don't even research the guy and just post hate on Ross is what gets me.

Maybe i embellish a bit cause of this but Ross has GREAT talent. I have done my research on the guy.

Sure, AJ is one of the greats of all time but if you go back and watch John Ross at Washington he can do it all
and is faster than AJ. He doesn't have the size but he is bigger than Antonio Brown, is just as quick, is faster and
is amazing in space with great hands and most of all the guy is smart.

I look for him to really open some eyes around here, i know Ross's talent. Some here don't and just hated the
pick from the get go and that is okay.

It is also okay to not see John Ross's talent and just say come on. That is what the board is for, opinions.

(05-05-2018, 02:45 AM)jorev5 Wrote: I agree.  There WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER AJ GREEN.  He was ready to play Day 1.  I almost tear up thinking of him retiring.. . knowing he'll be gone some day.  I'll take AJ Green over Ocho cinco, Housh, Carl Pickens, Darnay Scott.. 

I do agree, AJ is great, just saying Ross has the talent to become one of the best playmakers in the NFL, like AJ.
Reply/Quote